The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion about the music/DJ

Sniperslayer

I'm a huge phan of Phish and I just have to say this...for all the opening or intro might suck...it's really awesome to hear him work in a couple of Phish jams througjhout the game...I've heard "AC/DC Bag" "Kill Devil Falls" and the intro to "Chalk Dust Torture" before face-offs countless times. While I'm not a fan of the intro...Dave's got some good taste in music played other times.

They're actually asking for feedback/suggestions:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=652055&navid=DL|VAN|home

And, Champions of Nothing, help me out here. Local boy, song starts with cheerleaders (...that's the way we spell success)...I think it would be awesome as they come down the tunnel and on the ice for warm ups. That part, at the beginning, then it transitions, beautifully, from the intro into the song for the actual warm up - not too intense, but builds in momentum.

Giant (Matthew Good Band). It would work.

or, Everything Is Automatic.

We need something all our own.

EDIT: OK, in reading more that Japandroids band/song (being local talent) would also get my support. I just like the idea of throwing something uniquely our own into the mix. That one would work (lyrics fit too).

We already have the worst crowd noise in the league, but I think most of this has to do with the inability of DJ Dave to pump up the crowd in ANY way.

As most people have said, DJ Dave had 8 months to think of new ideas and not only did he re-vamp our intro into something ridiculously embarrassing, he is still using the same overused soundtracks.

I think I hear "MAKE SOME NOISE" at least 3-4 times a game at the WORST possible times, to go with Rihanna and other uninspiring music. How does this guy have a gig still?

I know DJ Dave is on this board so PLEASE get your act together.

HELLO FRIENDS!

Make no mistake - I absolutely LOVE all of your comments and passion for our beloved Canucks! Wouldn't have it any other way. There's nothing worse than an apathetic and lame fan base. I'm proud to be among Canucks Nation, as well as being the DJ.

Now - you must all understand that I take this very seriously. At the start of every year, there's a team that develops elements such as the opening video, player entrance piece, goal song and many other important elements of game presentation. The team represents a wide variety of demographics and tastes, just like our fan base, and we often have the same types of debates that show up on this message board.

With every creative element including music, we aim to try and appeal to our diverse fan base and also reflect the unique identity of the hockey club and our city. We focus on providing a soundtrack to the action on the ice which will create the best energy in the arena, while using a good combination of progressive, contemporary music in addition to classic rock and other iconic songs that fit the moment, the sport, and our club.

However, many of the artists that you all have referenced - I do NOT play. Starting next home game - Jan 30 vs. Colorado - I am going to start posting the playlists either after the game, or the next morning. I encourage you all to have a look, game by game, and maybe then get a better sense of what's actually being heard at the home games. (I haven’t played Rihanna once this year.....)

My most challenging task is to keep it fresh, and not repeat songs - if we can help it. If you listen to professional sports broadcasts - as I suspect most of you do - you'll hear the same song being played multiple times at each game, and the vast majority of those songs would be the same as they were in 1981. We're trying new things - some of which work well, some of which don't - in an attempt to be on the cutting edge of not only music, but overall game presentation.

It's also very much appreciated all the suggestions that you guys send in. For obvious reasons, there are selections that I simply can't play during the game (eg. those on the heavier side of speed metal). But make no mistake, I have gotten, and continue to get, many great ideas from the boards, and implement them during the games.

Enough said. Know that we take the comments to heart, and do try and please as many people as possible. Keep on being involved, and we’ll do the same.

DJD

I don't understand... The atmosphere at games is amazing or it was when I went... Some songs are bad but meh it's only a few. And everyone talks about the "suits" in the front rows, you know they don't sit in the front right? The front is usually filled with construction workers and other normal people since the "suits" are at the top in suites. Last time I went there was non-stop cheering and wave, it seems dull on tv because the crowd volume is cancelled out. If you have a problem with the crowd but tickets... It's only like185$ to sit at the centre in the 2nd/3rd row.

I think you've COMPLETELY missed the boat DJ Dave, people are asking for heavier music, not necessarily Speed Metal as you just (exaggerated) per se. Even a little of the above listed Audioslave-level (as far as intensity goes) rock would do, with less pop music (which simply does not work with nhl hockey). Forget trying to please all parties and try to create a FEELING of greater intensity within the arena, which you have failed to do in all your years thus far. We see it happening in all these other arenas (which have been listed at noseum) and in other pro sports leagues to perfection (the nfl, the nba) so why be so stubborn?

I think you've COMPLETELY missed the boat DJ Dave, people are asking for heavier music, not necessarily Speed Metal as you just (exaggerated) per se. Even a little of the above listed Audioslave-level (as far as intensity goes) rock would do, with less pop music (which simply does not work with nhl hockey). Forget trying to please all parties and try to create a FEELING of greater intensity within the arena, which you have failed to do in all your years thus far. We see it happening in all these other arenas (which have been listed at noseum) and in other pro sports leagues to perfection (the nfl, the nba) so why be so stubborn?

Not being stubborn, just giving a little more insight. you'll see - as the season wears on, and the games get more intense, you'll notice more RAWK! Appreciate it.

DJD

Archived