536 replies to this topic

#61 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Well kids, as luck would have it, we are looking into this very topic. stay tuned for more to follow, but just to say that this topic is not dead, in fact is very much alive!

one more week to go - and we're BACK IN BUSINESS!!!

DJD

I love Public Service Announcement by Jay-Z that gets played when they come out for the pre-game skate. Would love that as the entrance for the real game :)

#62 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Well kids, as luck would have it, we are looking into this very topic. stay tuned for more to follow, but just to say that this topic is not dead, in fact is very much alive!

DJD

I'll be very disappointed if it's changed. It's the only opening that gives me goosebumps. Even after all these years. Best opening in the league. There's just something about the way the instumenal builds and the anticipation follows.
Posted Image

#63 WestCoastCanucks

WestCoastCanucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Our opening is the BEST in the league. In the playoffs with the drums, sirens, towels and U2...CHILLS.

I would be super disappointed if that ever changed.

Edit: Wait, just read DJ Dave's response. It looks like they are changing it. Wow, that would suck.

Edited by WestCoastCanucks, 11 January 2013 - 11:19 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#64 Mr Fred

Mr Fred

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Sounds like DJ Dave's got something up his sleeve, but if him and the fans are open to more suggestions, I've made a few in another thread, but i think I should make a case for this one again.

I think it would be pretty awesome if we embraced some authentic local talent for the music. Not just something like Loverboy, or any more recent exports, top 40, pop, rock, or otherwise. If the team is all about excellence and having the best talent on the ice, why not have the best talent for the music?

Mr. Devin Townsend is a near-20-year veteran of the music industry, from his start with Steve Vai, to mainstream metal success with Strapping Young Lad, and recently with his own diverse, eclectic solo efforts. Seriously, this is an artist who is becoming rather renowned within a growing community of musicians and fans of music, and not just heavy metal. I think you should all give him a chance, as he's really one of Vancouver's biggest musical exports.

This song, in particular, would be rather appropriate with its tempo and atmosphere for an opening song.

#65 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

I really like the intro song as it is, and I find that it perfectly captures the atmosphere before an important game.
But if people are so fickle that we have to change one of the few traditions that the Canucks are starting to gain (I don't see why we should change it), there are a few

Sounds like DJ Dave's got something up his sleeve, but if him and the fans are open to more suggestions, I've made a few in another thread, but i think I should make a case for this one again.

I think it would be pretty awesome if we embraced some authentic local talent for the music. Not just something like Loverboy, or any more recent exports, top 40, pop, rock, or otherwise. If the team is all about excellence and having the best talent on the ice, why not have the best talent for the music?

Mr. Devin Townsend is a near-20-year veteran of the music industry, from his start with Steve Vai, to mainstream metal success with Strapping Young Lad, and recently with his own diverse, eclectic solo efforts. Seriously, this is an artist who is becoming rather renowned within a growing community of musicians and fans of music, and not just heavy metal. I think you should all give him a chance, as he's really one of Vancouver's biggest musical exports.

This song, in particular, would be rather appropriate with its tempo and atmosphere for an opening song.

Devin Townsend is brilliant. To those who check him out, don't listen to one song off one album to judge him, he has done so many different genres that it would too shortsighted to judge him for one song. He's done soft folk rock, extreme metal, progressive metal, hard rock, electronic music among a ton of hybrid styles. A truly unique musician (and I don't say that often) who is instantly recognizable musically.

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#66 BoggyDepot

BoggyDepot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

The U2 song only sounds/looks good on video from a retrospective point of view. For the actual moment when the players are coming out, something heavier would be a lot better for pump-up music.

We should be careful what we wish for though, lest the song gets changed to something like Green Day.

Edited by BoggyDepot, 12 January 2013 - 12:24 AM.

------------------------------------------------------------

#67 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

This isn't the WWE or the UFC and we aren't a city of angry dicks. So the song fits.

#68 Red Dragons

Red Dragons

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

I agree U2 is of the gay.

#69 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

This isn't the WWE or the UFC and we aren't a city of angry dicks. So the song fits.

Game 7 riot says Hi
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#70 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

I love the opening with the guitar riff the way it is in that song, and if I'm not mistaken the lyrics aren't even played - it's just the guitar and the goal horn and all that. The stuff with the Odds was fun but not anything I'd want for an opener. The goal song with Clutch is great too, awesome and unique.

I do agree a little less pop/dance music and more rock, but I doubt the suggestion of hard rap would be anything even close to a good idea.

Whatever you do, there's always someone wishing it was different, but there's change for the sake of it isn't necessary when we have such an established intro and people know it's ours.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#71 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

I agree with the OP. Please change it, no more U2!

#72 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

I love the opening with the guitar riff the way it is in that song, and if I'm not mistaken the lyrics aren't even played - it's just the guitar and the goal horn and all that. The stuff with the Odds was fun but not anything I'd want for an opener. The goal song with Clutch is great too, awesome and unique.

I do agree a little less pop/dance music and more rock, but I doubt the suggestion of hard rap would be anything even close to a good idea.

Whatever you do, there's always someone wishing it was different, but there's change for the sake of it isn't necessary when we have such an established intro and people know it's ours.

we need something west cost like sound garden. Nirvana, Alice in Chains.

how can you not love this riff

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#73 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

Keep it. The organization changes things so often (jerseys, logos, goal songs, colours), that it's the one constant the Canucks have had.

Let's get some tradition going, people.

#74 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

I am a big U2 fan and even I think a song that has a first line of "I want to run, I want to hide" probably isn't the best for instilling fear into our opponents.

I didn't know the lyrics were even played???

Have you read the rest of the song?

Since no lyrics are said, then you can only take the entire song's meaning in mind when you judge it...which isn't to be judged by that one line.

As for changing the opening song: I think this song fits the Canucks and Vancouver. If you want to change the vibe to Boston, then play ACDC. I'm not the guy who makes the call I just think what we have is classy and cerebral like the team (or at leas the leadership), as opposed to something metal that is more of the image of a more smash mouth team.

Hey, if that's what the Nucks are going for, then sure..but I don't think the Sedins and company really represent that...but hey...Just this guy's opinion.

Edited by Navyblue, 12 January 2013 - 01:38 AM.

Posted Image

#75 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Keep the U2 but strap fairy wings on the canucks and instead of their names on the back, each player shall be dubbed "Tinkerbell". Then when the song is done, you can drop a bunch of sparkly fairy dust on the crowd. Vancouver demographics will eat that $hit up.
:sick:

"I wanna run

I wanna hide"

Itsth purrfect, in a weak, effeminate, non intimidating, disney kind of way. Yay Vancouver!!!!

#76 menace

menace

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Never liked the song as an intro. I like the song but not as a pump up come out swinging intro. LA's coming out of the castle doors to AC DC's Back in Black a few years ago was excellent.

#77 Chuck in the Truck

Chuck in the Truck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hi Everybody ,well DJD I hope no I pray you finally change the intro song.Yes its ran its course has had its moments and goosebump chills .We need to start fresh come out pumped rock this arena .I have faith in you DJD .WE ARE ALL CANUCKS! :towel: GOCANUCKSGO!

#78 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

I agree, need something new as long as its not Gangnam Style.
Posted Image

#79 luongo_01

luongo_01

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I strongly disagree with changing the u2 intro. Our intro symbolizes the drama and energy that is encapsulated within Rogers Arena (ESP in the playoffs). It fits so well with the towels waving. And it somehow always fits seamlessly from the jumbotron pre-game intro video music.

If anything, revert the goal song to Holiday and keep u2
Posted Image

#80 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Honestly, does anyone actually get ANYTHING out of this opening song any more?

arguably the worst opening in the league from the ones i've seen in person/on TV

does the song instil anything but the vibe of "we are scared, unsure, pussies?"

if the team wasn't soft enough already we have Bono serenading our opponent doing anything but pumping up the team/crowd

GET RID OF U2!

Shut up!
Kevin.jpg

#81 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'd like them to use an ozzy song. Mostly my own bias as I love the ozz man. But I think let me hear you scream as they entered the arena would be pretty sweet

Crazy train!!!!

#82 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

DJD

You risk becoming the most hated DJ in Vancouver.

This intro is loved by hundreds of thousands throughout the World (even my Home team Fife Flyers has had it for about 5 years now) and you would think of changing it just because a few people with some kind of musical attention deficit want some here to-day gone to-morrow flavour of their month played.

I don't even rate U2 that much (I have never bought one of their records ) but this intro just fits...........ps turn up the base a tad.
Kevin.jpg

#83 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

I am a big U2 fan and even I think a song that has a first line of "I want to run, I want to hide" probably isn't the best for instilling fear into our opponents.

Exactly.

#84 proheffanol

proheffanol

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

As much as I think how well U2 fits with the towel power atmosphere during the playoffs, I must agree it's time for a change. I have 2 suggestions though for the new intro! I put these songs on for NHL 12 on the custom music thing and put them as the intros for teams around the league, basically the 1st parts of these songs are what I use. and

#85 goal-ghost

goal-ghost

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

I'LL NEVER FORGET CONVINCING DON TO DO THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1TwjPCjDN4&feature=player_detailpage

that's an interesting video,
surprised to see don talking over the national anthem. fairly patriotic persona to be doing that. circumstance i guess.
Posted Image

#86 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

As much as I think how well U2 fits with the towel power atmosphere during the playoffs, I must agree it's time for a change. I have 2 suggestions though for the new intro! I put these songs on for NHL 12 on the custom music thing and put them as the intros for teams around the league, basically the 1st parts of these songs are what I use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=433S3tuuB94 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuT2mQaTno0

Instantly forgettable mate....................see how difficult it is?
Kevin.jpg

#87 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

No. There isn't a better intro in the NHL come playoff time.

It worked brilliantly with the "This is what we live for" music accompanying the video before it. I was disappointed they didn't bring that back last playoffs.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck, 12 January 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#88 Sniperslayer

Sniperslayer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

people cling on to things for nostalgia

ohhhhh the great memories of the U2 Opening, never getting past the second round in the era of the WCE, early playoff exits and a game 7 riot of the current era.. ohh the memories

the thing is, the demographic inside Rogers Arena is pathetic, the people there do not want "LOUDER, HARDER, PUMP UP" music, they want to keep the volume low so they can discuss business deals and read their books [yes a woman in front of my season tickets reads a novel throughout the entire game]

so unless Canucks as an organization have the balls to take on a tougher persona and vibe inside the arena with the music, we will continue to be subject to Carly rae jepsen, Black Eyed peas, and other "soft pop" as our in house entertainment

with that said you dont have to play Metallica and Marilyn Manson non stop, but for frack sakes scrap the 80's soft rock and pop music.

#89 Sniperslayer

Sniperslayer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

No. There isn't better intro in the NHL come playoff time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiv05HefH7g

It worked brilliantly with the music accompanying the video before it. I was disappointed they didn't bring that back last playoffs.

are you kidding me? did u even watch that video?

like i said in my first post, i went to 2 games in the finals with that opening there was NOTHING but nervousness, no one is going to be nervous or timid playing heavy hard rock, people are going to feel confident even if it's just for the puck drop

When every single 18,600 person in the arena is already on their own heels worried crapless about whats going to happen, you dont think that translates on the ice? of course it does

that video just shows how soft/emotionless of an enviroment it creates

The Canucks as a team are already soft/weak, we cant just keep piling on with this crap, we need to change the vibe as a whole

#90 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

No. There isn't a better intro in the NHL come playoff time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiv05HefH7g

It worked brilliantly with the "This is what we live for" music accompanying the video before it. I was disappointed they didn't bring that back last playoffs.

Class!

Only an idiot would say change this intro. More so when you see the deadwood trawled out EVERY TIME this topic is raised.
Kevin.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.