#91 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

people cling on to things for nostalgia

ohhhhh the great memories of the U2 Opening, never getting past the second round in the era of the WCE, early playoff exits and a game 7 riot of the current era.. ohh the memories

the thing is, the demographic inside Rogers Arena is pathetic, the people there do not want "LOUDER, HARDER, PUMP UP" music, they want to keep the volume low so they can discuss business deals and read their books [yes a woman in front of my season tickets reads a novel throughout the entire game]

so unless Canucks as an organization have the balls to take on a tougher persona and vibe inside the arena with the music, we will continue to be subject to Carly rae jepsen, Black Eyed peas, and other "soft pop" as our in house entertainment

with that said you dont have to play Metallica and Marilyn Manson non stop, but for frack sakes scrap the 80's soft rock and pop music.

Completely agree with this, and it's one of the reasons that Rogers Arena has an atmosphere akin to a morgue. But I'm against changing the intro (at least in the playoffs anyway).

#92 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

"When every single 18,600 person in the arena is already on their own heels worried crapless about whats going to happen, you dont think that translates on the ice? of course it does."

You've been watching too many horror movies mate. Why would any Canucks fan be "on their heels worried crapless?" I'm glad you're not on any team I played on.
Kevin.jpg

#93 Sniperslayer

Sniperslayer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

"When every single 18,600 person in the arena is already on their own heels worried crapless about whats going to happen, you dont think that translates on the ice? of course it does."

You've been watching too many horror movies mate. Why would any Canucks fan be "on their heels worried crapless?" I'm glad you're not on any team I played on.

lol ever been to a game bra?

know what a vibe is? an atmosphere? energy?

seemingly not..

#94 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

To get the opposition on their toes, that Rick Astley guy can get the house rollin'...

Village People?.."YOUNG MAN! If yer short on the dough..."

Boy george & the Culture Club's "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?"...Something heartfelt like that, or a Barry Manilow ballad-endless possibilities. Let'em know we're sincere, darn it!

#95 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

are you kidding me? did u even watch that video?

like i said in my first post, i went to 2 games in the finals with that opening there was NOTHING but nervousness, no one is going to be nervous or timid playing heavy hard rock, people are going to feel confident even if it's just for the puck drop

When every single 18,600 person in the arena is already on their own heels worried crapless about whats going to happen, you dont think that translates on the ice? of course it does

that video just shows how soft/emotionless of an enviroment it creates

The Canucks as a team are already soft/weak, we cant just keep piling on with this crap, we need to change the vibe as a whole

The intro doesn't need changed. It pumps people up just fine. I have a problem with the music between whistles, because it doesn't.

To be honest, if the crowd at Rogers is entirely reliant on music to get them out of their seats then our fanbase has a bigger problem.

#96 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Lizardshifting Shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

i think you're looking way too deep in to it. the song itself has nothing to do with being scared or unsure-- if you're basing that solely on the opening line, "I want to run, i want to hide."

but the opening of that song is so chilling and haunting. especially in the playoffs when tensions are high, you're on the edge of your seat, waiting for the same to begin then the intro starts and the place erupts

Posted Image

who was fitted with collar and chain

who was given a pat on the back

who was breaking away from the pack

#97 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

seemingly not..

Well, we're from a country where most people don't need extra encouragement to stand up and cheer for their team. We certainly don't have a problem creating an atmosphere. Even the relatively small hockey clubs over here attract a good crowd.

#98 Sniperslayer

Sniperslayer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Ever been to a Seahawks game?

thats atmosphere.

Canucks obviously need somthing to get people into it because most people cant be bothered to get on their feet for goals let alone an opening.

Edited by Sniperslayer, 12 January 2013 - 02:11 PM.

#99 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

When nazzy left they called it the end of an era. The song should go, fresh start.

Pretty bad when the lyrics are "i wanna run, i wanna hide" bla bla

Play some fuel by metallica, GIMMEFUEGIMMEFAIGIMMEDABAJABAZA !!!

BOOM AND THE BOYS SKATE OUT

Edited by frazzY, 12 January 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#100 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,957 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

No. There isn't a better intro in the NHL come playoff time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiv05HefH7g

It worked brilliantly with the "This is what we live for" music accompanying the video before it. I was disappointed they didn't bring that back last playoffs.

Man, listened to it for when the intro started after minute or so in, love how it builds and it's so rhythmic and really starts to drive the excitement with the goals horns and everything. Obviously, not everyone shares that feeling, but those that do REALLY share it.

people cling on to things for nostalgia

ohhhhh the great memories of the U2 Opening, never getting past the second round in the era of the WCE, early playoff exits and a game 7 riot of the current era.. ohh the memories

the thing is, the demographic inside Rogers Arena is pathetic, the people there do not want "LOUDER, HARDER, PUMP UP" music, they want to keep the volume low so they can discuss business deals and read their books [yes a woman in front of my season tickets reads a novel throughout the entire game]

so unless Canucks as an organization have the balls to take on a tougher persona and vibe inside the arena with the music, we will continue to be subject to Carly rae jepsen, Black Eyed peas, and other "soft pop" as our in house entertainment

with that said you dont have to play Metallica and Marilyn Manson non stop, but for frack sakes scrap the 80's soft rock and pop music.

And some people hope for change in the misguided sense that it'll change our fortunes as well.

The music that's played in breaks has nothing to do with the intro music. The intro music also isn't going to change to anything metal or hard rap. The only way I see it changing is to something of a different style, rather than a song.

What I mean by that is there are people that specifically compose dramatic, building, exciting music. They do it for movies and for video games. Here's an example:

I'm not a fan of dubstep, but that does mix it into some dramatic music to build the feeling and atmosphere rather than just being a popular clip from a song. There's whole playlists of dramatic music though, with plenty of that style to choose from.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#101 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,957 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

thats atmosphere.

Canucks obviously need somthing to get people into it because most people cant be bothered to get on their feet for goals let alone an opening.

You've created a thread to say the U2 intro sucks and we need to change it to get better atmosphere, but then want to compare the Seahawks atmosphere? Do you know what their intro has been?

How is that a major change from ours that it should affect the atmosphere?

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#102 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

sooooo.......

you wouldn't be ok with crocodile rock as an intro.

Hahaha

Good one
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#103 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I love Public Service Announcement by Jay-Z that gets played when they come out for the pre-game skate. Would love that as the entrance for the real game :)

"allow me to reintroduce myself my name is HOV, H to the O V, I used to move snowflakes by the OZ"

If they don't have a problem with the first line of the song then sure hahaha

#104 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I like the Jay Z Public Service Announcement they use in warmups, no??

#105 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I don't think I could disagree more with the OP.

All these old foggies wanting Metallica, or Zepplin have no idea what it's like to be in Rogers when that rift starts.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#106 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

thats atmosphere.

Seattle has great fans, but I don't think the music is a big factor there.

For whatever reason our fans are just boring. I get the impression that some people are scared to start chanting or making noise at Rogers Arena because they're worried about the people behind them telling them to shut up and sit down.

#107 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Did anyone think that maybe they keep the music calm cause you fawks keep riot-ing... :bigblush:
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#108 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Dave, please no more girl techno pop songs.
Play some, metal/rock and hardcore rap(Wu-Tang, NWA)

It's a hockey team.. doesn't fit out identity at all.

And MGK is garbage.
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#109 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

If it doesn't sound like a train wreck in hell I'm not interested.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#110 BoggyDepot

BoggyDepot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

The problem is that people are mistaking "chilling" and "goosebump inducing" for pump-up music. Not the same thing.

Edited by BoggyDepot, 12 January 2013 - 11:10 PM.

------------------------------------------------------------

#111 Owen Nolan

Owen Nolan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

end of thread
Posted Image

#112 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

DON'T. YOU. DARE.

It is the best fricken opening in the entire NHL. Why the hell would we change it? Can we not actually have tradition around here? We can't even go a year without changing our fricken goal song or our fricken jerseys and now we're going to change the fricken intro song? Jesus Christ this pisses me off. Do we all have fricken ADD? Can we not actually stick with something for once?

In case you haven't been around since the beginning, this whole "branding schizophrenia" is a direct byproduct of not having won a goddamn thing in almost a HALF CENTURY of existence.

For christsakes, even California now has claim to 2 Cups.

Whatever song/jersey/etc is in place when this team finally wins a championship (if it ever does) is the one you're going to see "stick", because THEN and only then, will fans finally have something to %$ing identify with.

#113 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,587 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

I can't believe you guys seriously think your silly pop metal songs are legitimately good 'intro' songs for the normal people who go to games.

Guys, just because you sit around your computers with some grizzled voices screaming into your ears, and you get all angry and pumped, doesn't mean the business crowd at Rogers Arena would.

I feel mega embarrassed when there's some nu metal or "modern rock" song playing during a game. It's so fake. Manufactured energy.

TBH, I thought the Seahawks video with the Bittersweet Symphony intro was great. How can people NOT love that intro?

Way more emotional and 'pump up-ish' than some boring AC/DC riff we've heard 10,000 times before
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#114 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,587 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

http://youtu.be/5h1EW5z1wdc

end of thread

Virginia Tech has atmosphere that would put most soccer stadiums to shame.

The average age is probably 25, the average income is probably -20k, and the alcohol level is probably through the roof.

Not the Canucks snoozer corporate crowd.

Metallica doesn't make the entrance, the crowd does
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#115 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

seemingly not..

I've been to a hell of a lot more sporting events than you I would guess. And I'll tell you this, if it takes a sound track to get your team OR your fans up and pumping for a big game you had better forget it and go home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ybxfZoT6VHQ

Also chilling when sung from two ends or sides. Why could the DJ not set this up.
The words to this could easily be changed to "Vancouver" and "Come on you Blue and Green" but it takes swagger to sing it like these guys and gals..........do the Vancouver fans have what it takes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvHUCWmThTk

Edited by Bodee, 13 January 2013 - 10:43 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#116 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

If opening songs were about instilling fear into the opponent everyone would just play death metal.

The U2 song is not only a great build-up and emotional song but its the identity of the Canucks now and should stick.
Posted Image

#117 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

I can't believe you guys seriously think your silly pop metal songs are legitimately good 'intro' songs for the normal people who go to games.

Guys, just because you sit around your computers with some grizzled voices screaming into your ears, and you get all angry and pumped, doesn't mean the business crowd at Rogers Arena would.

I feel mega embarrassed when there's some nu metal or "modern rock" song playing during a game. It's so fake. Manufactured energy.

TBH, I thought the Seahawks video with the Bittersweet Symphony intro was great. How can people NOT love that intro?

Way more emotional and 'pump up-ish' than some boring AC/DC riff we've heard 10,000 times before

Totally agree.

The psychology is about build up and expectation at the start of the game. These tracks are ethereal, that is why they work. There are only 2 ways to get excited in at any game ................make some noise or play the game.

My home town hockey team is known as one of the most raucous venues in GB ..................guess what the intro is.............U2, wtshnn.

Sniperslayer (jeez why does that not surprise me:-) correct me if I'm wrong but I understand the National Anthems are played AFTER THE INTRO...........Now I'm as patriotic as the next person (even a Canadian) but come on, are these not atmosphere killers?

I say again if your fans and your team need music to get up for a game then you need another set of fans and dare I say another team.

KEEP THE INTRO.
Kevin.jpg

#118 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

Posted Image

#119 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

How about the intro to Wu Tang "Killer Bees", just that thumpin baseline, and then as the players hit the ice, mash it up with a killer Pantera guitar riff (Walk) ?

#120 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Well, we're from a country where most people don't need extra encouragement to stand up and cheer for their team. We certainly don't have a problem creating an atmosphere. Even the relatively small hockey clubs over here attract a good crowd.

People in van are so extremely self conscious, they can't bring themselves to cheer loudly, lest the other self conscious fans stare at them and whisper to each other "Who is that guy?" "Why is he being so loud?" "Oh god, is he trying to start a chant?!?!?!"

I think the "fans" in the arena fall into 3 categories, I can't put names on those categories or I might get banned. Let's just call them $, lame-o's and flame-o's. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.