The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To ANYONE who thinks Luo isn't the starter!

The Creature Blue Lagoon

January 11, 2013

"But coach Alain Vigneault refused to say who will be the team's starter when the season opens."

"[Luongo's] one of my two goaltenders," said Vigneault during a media availability at Rogers Arena. "We've always made the decisions in the best interest of the team. We've got two great goaltenders, two great people that are great teammates and both want to play."

http://news.ca.msn.c...e-rumours-swirl

Just thought I would throw this out to all the Luo haters who want him gone. Heads up, cause the longer this goes on, the more likely he stays for the season. I've posted on this topic before, but a direct quote originating from today, just can't get anymore recent. Moving Luo this season is a huge risk and it looks the organization is aware of that.

LUO HATERS...... REACT TO ME :emot-parrot:

love these comments.. sorry but the reality is schieder hasn't proven anything yet. can he play 60-70 games????? is he as consistent as lou in regular season ???? can he handle the media and fan barrage as a starter in van??? can he win in the post season ???lou got within one win of the prize.

lou's been very durable as well.

i think alot of you forgot what life was like before lou....i haven't

schied's may prove to be better i hope so for our sakes and gillises

Of course AV is going to say that. Lu deserves respect from the team and fan base. He has been a great goalie for the Nucks. Lu will also be given a chance to improve his value in a trade. Schneids is the man of the future. Lu has a future somewhere else.

I seriosuly don't think Luongo will be traded, especially since Nonis keeps saying he's 100% not moving any of his young prospects on Toronto. Lu will still be here next year, and if Schneider has a bad game then go with Lu until he has a bad game then go back to Schneider etc. Give them both a reason to fight for the #1 job

Wouldn't it be great if he did get his starting job back, well untill the playoffs started.

I don't think anyone has any doubt that Lou can play better then Lou, if he were to outplay Cory at times then I still think he would be the choice for the Canucks brass to move. After all the reason they want to trade him has nothing to do with his reg season play.

I don't think that he's with the club on opening day, but if he is Canucks management is smarter then you think. No matter how well he plays he's out, we just may get a better trade.

In my opinion, the only reason people think Schneider is going to be our starter is because Luongo has accepted to waive his NTC and the media. Usually to overthrow one of the league's top-10 if not top-5 goalies you'd have to have a solid body of work and be far better than him, so let's see why everyone thinks Luongo is done in Vancouver -

Schneider had better save % and GAA last season than Luongo, but not by much. He didn't play anywhere near as many games or muster up as many wins as Luongo, but got these nice stats by playing behind a great team on spot starts so fatigue was never an issue for Schneider. He has absolutely no idea what it'll be like playing a full work load in the NHL and has never been an NHL starter or faced that pressure.

AV went with Schneider in the playoffs over Luongo, not because of Luongo's poor play (he was exceptional - our best player in the first two games if anyone remembers) but because of the crap-job the team put up in front of him. Then Schneider wins 1 measely playoff game, loses two and gets the Canucks bounced out of the playoffs. Sure he played great, but didn't make the big saves so he definately didn't save this team or do anything miraculous.

I remember clearly back then reading articles and hearing even Shorthouse himself re-iterate many times that Schneider starting the playoffs instead of Luongo was strictly a reflection of the team's poor play, not goaltending, and that AV just wanted a different look which didn't work. Playing these 3 games in the playoffs, Schneider has not overthrown Luongo at all.

Like I said, you have to win some big games or carry a team better than Lu did to be able to replace him as the starter. Schneider played in 3 playoff games and won just one of them. To me that is not enough to become starter on what should be the best team in the league.

He's proved last season he can play against the best in this league

09/10 with the Moose he played 60 regular season games, 6 playoff games, plus 2 games for the Canucks. He had a 2.51 gaa and a .919 s% with the Moose and a 3.80 gaa and a .915 s% with the Canucks. His gaa and s% have improved every year with the Canucks.

He's been great with the media. I'd even say better than Lou.

(He played considerably better against LA than Lou in the last playoffs) ...But still LOST!!!!!

In my opinion, the only reason people think Schneider is going to be our starter is because Luongo has accepted to waive his NTC and the media. Usually to overthrow one of the league's top-10 if not top-5 goalies you'd have to have a solid body of work and be far better than him, so let's see why everyone thinks Luongo is done in Vancouver -

Schneider had better save % and GAA last season than Luongo, but not by much. He didn't play anywhere near as many games or muster up as many wins as Luongo, but got these nice stats by playing behind a great team on spot starts so fatigue was never an issue for Schneider. He has absolutely no idea what it'll be like playing a full work load in the NHL and has never been an NHL starter or faced that pressure.

AV went with Schneider in the playoffs over Luongo, not because of Luongo's poor play (he was exceptional - our best player in the first two games if anyone remembers) but because of the crap-job the team put up in front of him. Then Schneider wins 1 measely playoff game, loses two and gets the Canucks bounced out of the playoffs. Sure he played great, but didn't make the big saves so he definately didn't save this team or do anything miraculous.

I remember clearly back then reading articles and hearing even Shorthouse himself re-iterate many times that Schneider starting the playoffs instead of Luongo was strictly a reflection of the team's poor play, not goaltending, and that AV just wanted a different look which didn't work. Playing these 3 games in the playoffs, Schneider has not overthrown Luongo at all.

Like I said, you have to win some big games or carry a team better than Lu did to be able to replace him as the starter. Schneider played in 3 playoff games and won just one of them. To me that is not enough to become starter on what should be the best team in the league.

Archived