Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 5 votes

To ANYONE who thinks Luo isn't the starter!

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#151 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Lots of guys have a wife and two kids. As for the rest of it, I'd say those are all indications that he's been overpaid for what he's delivered.

Lots of guys would love to have a wife and two healthy children.
I think Luo has another $40 million or so coming.
Any overpayment is Gillis' responsiblity.
Gillis conveniently offloaded the blame from his shoulders onto Luo's and ultimately on to another team's payroll.
Bit of a habit he has developed.

#152 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

January 11, 2013

"But coach Alain Vigneault refused to say who will be the team's starter when the season opens."

"[Luongo's] one of my two goaltenders," said Vigneault during a media availability at Rogers Arena. "We've always made the decisions in the best interest of the team. We've got two great goaltenders, two great people that are great teammates and both want to play."

http://news.ca.msn.c...e-rumours-swirl

Just thought I would throw this out to all the Luo haters who want him gone. Heads up, cause the longer this goes on, the more likely he stays for the season. I've posted on this topic before, but a direct quote originating from today, just can't get anymore recent. Moving Luo this season is a huge risk and it looks the organization is aware of that.

LUO HATERS...... REACT TO ME :emot-parrot:

Anyone who actually WANTS Luongo gone is an idiot. I'd like to see Schneider get a shot at the starter position though, he's earned it. And unfortunately it's looking like we might need to trade Luongo to fill some other holes on the team right now. If we can fill those holes AND keep Luongo, AND there isn't a bunch of drama between him and Schneider & who starts, I think most people including myself would be happy to keep Luongo.

#153 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Lots of guys would love to have a wife and two healthy children.
I think Luo has another $40 million or so coming.
Any overpayment is Gillis' responsiblity.
Gillis conveniently offloaded the blame from his shoulders onto Luo's and ultimately on to another team's payroll.
Bit of a habit he has developed.

Habit? In what way?

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#154 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Ryan Miller and Henrik Lundqvist dont have a reputation for continually collapsing in the playoffs. Both of these guys are also Vezina trophy winners.
Aside from several good/very good regular seasons, what has Luongo done?

Just been the best the Canucks have ever had in net.

#155 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Ryan Miller and Henrik Lundqvist dont have a reputation for continually collapsing in the playoffs. Both of these guys are also Vezina trophy winners.
Aside from several good/very good regular seasons, what has Luongo done?

I agree that Luongo has had melt downs in the playoffs, and that turned me off of him quite a bit. But you're trying to trivialize his time here, which is silly. There's no doubt in my mind he was a KEY piece to the puzzle in transforming the Canucks from a bubble team to an elite team, and I'm certainly glad we had him. Have you been a fan long enough to remember the goalies the Canucks had before Luongo but after McClean? It wasn't pretty dude.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 12 January 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#156 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

I agree that Luongo has had melt downs in the playoffs, and that turned me off of him quite a bit. But you're trying to trivialize his time here, which is silly. There's no doubt in my mind he was a KEY piece to the puzzle in transforming the Canucks from a bubble team to an elite team, and I'm certainly glad we had him. Have you been a fan long enough to remember the goalies the Canucks had before Luongo but after McClean? It wasn't pretty dude.

If you remember that good you will also remember Mclean was ran out after 2 final disgusting seasons at the same time as Pat Quinn.Which was one of the best news days in Canucks history.
2 once greats sent packing as bums.Just sad it took so long.

Edited by fagin, 12 January 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#157 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

January 11, 2013

"But coach Alain Vigneault refused to say who will be the team's starter when the season opens."

"[Luongo's] one of my two goaltenders," said Vigneault during a media availability at Rogers Arena. "We've always made the decisions in the best interest of the team. We've got two great goaltenders, two great people that are great teammates and both want to play."

http://news.ca.msn.c...e-rumours-swirl

Just thought I would throw this out to all the Luo haters who want him gone. Heads up, cause the longer this goes on, the more likely he stays for the season. I've posted on this topic before, but a direct quote originating from today, just can't get anymore recent. Moving Luo this season is a huge risk and it looks the organization is aware of that.

LUO HATERS...... REACT TO ME :emot-parrot:

Not moving him 100% guarantees we have no 2nd line center, which will fold this team quicker than a cheap tent in a hurricane.

We actually DO have a number of options to replace Kesler. Most notable in my eyes, Ebbett. He is the most experienced/capable including any of our prospects.

The real problem people seem to be missing though, is the wingers on that line. Raymond needs out of here badly. He's the classic perimeter player who never really gets anything done, and Booth - well that remains to be seen. I don't like the fact that him AND Kesler on one line are both very much north/south type of players (an american hockey trait by nature?)

With Kesler there, he is capable of dragging those two schlumps around with him, but neither, and very specifically Raymond, have proved they are anywhere near 2nd line material on a team this good.

Yeah, we can keep Luongo... and you can write off the season along with it.

Get to work Gillis

#158 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

If you question Schneider you are a troll and moron.
If you question Luongo you are a hockey expert.
This is the Law of CDC.

Let me fix that for you.

Wow how clever

Teach me how you did that
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#159 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Says who? Source?

Get over it, the days of Lui starting on this team are over. Do you really think they will piss off Schneider by having Lui the number one starter again? Not going to happen.

#160 one-x

one-x

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Play a goalie till he loses.

Simple.

What if a goalie plays well and still loses?
Posted Image Posted Image
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#161 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Get over it, the days of Lui starting on this team are over. Do you really think they will piss off Schneider by having Lui the number one starter again? Not going to happen.

what makes you think this would even piss Schneider off, he's been backing up and sharing the load with Luongo his entire time here

#162 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

What if a goalie plays well and still loses?

if it's Luongo then CDC will want him never to play again and traded

if it's Schneider they'll want him to start the next night

#163 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Guys... How is a goalie supposed to prove that they can play if they don't get a chance to play? This is a fundamental thing that CDC seems to overlook.

If people are demanding that he play over Luongo, then they are already claiming he is proven. While you are right, nobody is saying, "guys, we should give Schneider some more games to prove himself", they are literally yelling for Lu's head.

There's a difference.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#164 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,214 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

You forgot the third rule in a conflict....

All I asked was - who said Luongo is not the starter?

Name one Canucks official that has said that.

I will LOL if Luongo starts on Saturday.
If not - you can LOL at me.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#165 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Lots of guys have a wife and two kids. As for the rest of it, I'd say those are all indications that he's been overpaid for what he's delivered.

Do you have a medal for backstopping the country to an Olympic Championship?

Can you even play hockey at more than the beer league level?

If not, then your opinion on what he delivered has no weight whatsoever.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#166 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

How about a bet? 100 bucks says Lui doesn't start... you in?

#167 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,214 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

How about a bet? 100 bucks says Lui doesn't start... you in?

Sorry - not a betting man - again - tell me who from the Canucks has said that either Schneider is number one or that Luongo is number 2.

Simple question.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#168 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

I bet Luongo will start the first game, but Schneider will play the games after that.
Posted Image

#169 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

Sorry - not a betting man - again - tell me who from the Canucks has said that either Schneider is number one or that Luongo is number 2.

Simple question.

Well since the end of last season if you haven't figured out or read between the llines... you must be living where there is no news. Do you seriously think he could be the starting goalie this year

#170 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

I bet Luongo will start the first game, but Schneider will play the games after that.

How much you want to bet... 100, 50... name it!

#171 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

How much you want to bet... 100, 50... name it!

I'm sure Luongo will start the first game.

I bet 100 ...

kilobytes of image posted on my sig, replacing the current sig. ;)
Posted Image

#172 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

I'm sure Luongo will start the first game.

I bet 100 ...

kilobytes of image posted on my sig, replacing the current sig. ;)

Ha good one :) They can't start Lui now, imagine if he had a 40 shot shutout. Now what is their plan going to be? Talk about a controversy and media frenzy... no way they risk that kind of issue.

#173 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,147 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

Umm,most professional hockey analysts / articles I've read say it's pretty much a done deal that Schneider is going to be the starter. So yes, it does let you overthrow the franchise goaltender, it's happening whether you like it or not. Continuously denying it isn't going to somehow change the reality.

Oh I know Luongo will be traded, I'm just trying to warn fans that it will be the wrong move. Right now Roberto Luongo is undoubtedly the best goaltender to wear a Canucks uniform. So basically, for Schneider to be a success and for MG not to look like an idiot, Schneider will have to rack up over 250 wins with the Canucks, carry this team to the Cup and basically become the new franchise goalie.

That is a lot in itself to ask of a guy who has played in just 56 regular season games and 1 playoff victory to his name. For example, if we were to replace our franchise centerman in Henrik Sedin, we'd have to find a center with proven success. Basically, someone like Crosby or Stamkos, not many other centers would be chosen to replace Henrik. The same should be said of Luongo. He is still a top-10 if not top-5 goalie in the NHL, so why are we replacing him with a still relatively unproven goalie? We wouldn't be replacing Henrik Sedin with Hodgson or even a guy like RNH if we had the opportunity.

Yes I know Schneider has played well, but I'm sorry 56 games over 2 seasons does not warrant a replacement of our franchise goaltender. We'll see what this kid is really made of when he has to play a full-time role in the league, and if he isn't up to the challenge this will be the beginning of the end for the Canucks. The thing is we have no idea how well Schneider will play in a full time role - it's naive and stupid to think that he can keep these great stats going over 60 games, because the pressure and workload of a starter is COMPLETELY different to a backup with spot starts. If he can't handle the Vancouver pressure and physical and mental workload of a starter then we can kiss any cup chances goodbye for the next odd decade.
Posted Image

#174 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Simple question.

A different way to look at it is who is going to be the number one line? Pretty sure it's going to be the Sedin twins... even though no one has officially said anything. Kind of the same isn't it? If they had thoughts of him being the number one guy this year i'm sure they would come out and put and end to trade talk.

#175 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

Oh I know Luongo will be traded, I'm just trying to warn fans that it will be the wrong move. Right now Roberto Luongo is undoubtedly the best goaltender to wear a Canucks uniform. So basically, for Schneider to be a success and for MG not to look like an idiot, Schneider will have to rack up over 250 wins with the Canucks, carry this team to the Cup and basically become the new franchise goalie.

That is a lot in itself to ask of a guy who has played in just 56 regular season games and 1 playoff victory to his name. For example, if we were to replace our franchise centerman in Henrik Sedin, we'd have to find a center with proven success. Basically, someone like Crosby or Stamkos, not many other centers would be chosen to replace Henrik. The same should be said of Luongo. He is still a top-10 if not top-5 goalie in the NHL, so why are we replacing him with a still relatively unproven goalie? We wouldn't be replacing Henrik Sedin with Hodgson or even a guy like RNH if we had the opportunity.

Yes I know Schneider has played well, but I'm sorry 56 games over 2 seasons does not warrant a replacement of our franchise goaltender. We'll see what this kid is really made of when he has to play a full-time role in the league, and if he isn't up to the challenge this will be the beginning of the end for the Canucks. The thing is we have no idea how well Schneider will play in a full time role - it's naive and stupid to think that he can keep these great stats going over 60 games, because the pressure and workload of a starter is COMPLETELY different to a backup with spot starts. If he can't handle the Vancouver pressure and physical and mental workload of a starter then we can kiss any cup chances goodbye for the next odd decade.

But the goalie is not the reason the Canucks aren't going to win anytime soon... Age is catching up and team chemistry is faltering. In 2010/11 so many had career years, everything just worked. Not a good chance that will happen again with this same group that is left.

#176 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

Signed a groin injured goalie to a:
12 years / $64 million contract.
Saddled Luo with the Captaincy.
Stripped him of the captaincy.
Put him in a position where they pushed him out the door.
After baiting Luo,ALLOWED Luo to leave,absolving the .org of their $64 million-10 remaining year brain fart.

Having said that,MG will always look bad.Mesmerized,blundering rookie GM reverted back to lawyer.

Edited by nuck nit, 13 January 2013 - 01:41 AM.

#177 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

All Schneider has to do is be consistent in the playoffs. The workload increase in the AHL did not phase him or effect his stats. Cory stats in the nhl are better than his ahl stats.For those who are playing attention Cory has been developing perfectly and the Canucks have done great in his case; he is more than ready to take over the job of number one.

Edited by Vancanwincup, 13 January 2013 - 01:45 AM.

#178 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

The fact Cory was the starter in the playoffs could be the first clue.
The fact the GM is talking about trading Luo could be the second clue.

#179 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Habit? In what way?

12 year contracts wear like a habit.
Sundin's contract was keeping with Gillis' habit.
There's $84 million for starters.

*Offering Mats Sundin a 2 year, twenty million dollar deal. It’s under appreciated how big of a favour Mats did the Canucks by not signing that deal. Sundin eventually settled on a pro-rated one year, seven million dollar contract. Had he signed for the full two, the Canucks would not have had the cap space to sign the Sedins the following summer and Mike Gillis would no longer be GM of the Vancouver Canucks.
http://www.vancouver...mike-gillis-era

#180 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,156 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

AV went with Schneider in the playoffs over Luongo, not because of Luongo's poor play (he was exceptional - our best player in the first two games if anyone remembers) but because of the crap-job the team put up in front of him. Then Schneider wins 1 measely playoff game, loses two and gets the Canucks bounced out of the playoffs. Sure he played great, but didn't make the big saves so he definately didn't save this team or do anything miraculous.

I love how you say Luongo was expectional (And he was great) Then Schneider comes in and plays just as good if not better, and you downplay it by saying he had 1 measly win, then you say he didn't make the big saves (Which you are wrong about) but niether did Luongo, so how can u downplay his preformence like that.

Schneider's start wasn't about he overtaking Luongo, but you downplaying how great he was under the biggest pressure of the year isn't really fair, especially when Luongo though still great, wasn't as good.

They will be used as a tandem if they are both here IMO but Luongo is the one who will be moved not Schneider.

zackass.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Report

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.