The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider - Hodgson Comparison

DownUndaCanuck

I can say the same thing about Hodgson - Kesler. Hodgson had FAR more upside than Kesler did at the time of his trade, he was a young 22 year old kid who had won just about everything he could have, set OHL records and his development was on pace to become a future star. Kesler on the otherhand had just come off hip surgery, wasn't playing as well as he did in 2011 and had nowhere to go but down.

If a tweaked groin can never return to normal how do you think major labrum, wrist and shoulder surgery will affect Kesler's game? I'd take recovery over a groin injury over that combo and rehab any day.

Coho is soft Kesler is rugged. If our top line of the Sedins are a couple of punching bags (very talented punching bags) it makes sence to want to counter weigh there softness with some sandpaper on the second pretty hard to win a cup with your top 2 lines unwilling to get into the dirty areas. Say all you want about Coho's skill set I agree he has alot of potential but he could never surpass Kesler to play a second line role on this team because he can't match Keslers willingness to play a hard game. That said for that matter wouldn't make a great playoff 3rd line center either nor would he be happy in that role playing checking minutes against other teams pf's was not his strength and teams would smell that and attack it. Giving him sheltered ice time in the playoffs is not an option. Hence the only option was to move him it made sense to me perfectly. That said Kassian may not have the polish of Coho and probably wont have as good a career imo but he is 100% a better fit for this team because there is no one standing in his place where he could peak thus has the option where Coho didn't to flourish on THIS team.

For this reason Coho and Luongo are not comparable. Schnider can offer something Luongo hasn't mental toughness. That said I still believe that Luongo is the better goalie however Schnider may be better for this team. The canucks seem to play with more confidence infront of him. just my opinion

I think after being off for a while, getting away from the game and all the talk about him in this town, Luongo is going to be a rejuiced and motivated player and will have some good years going foward. Like Lundqvist and Thomas did after being in the league for a while now and in their later years, Luongo will be steller wherever.

Luongo is a superstar goalie that when we got him, every team wanted him and he is still is considered a top elite goalie, he ain't no few season good washed up goalie.

Saying Hodgson is a superstar in the making is a bit much, if you assess his game from an objective point of view there are holes that might prevent him from being that.

The difference is Schneider is also one of the best goalies in the world, he is probably just as good as Lu.....

Coho is soft Kesler is rugged. If our top line of the Sedins are a couple of punching bags (very talented punching bags) it makes sence to want to counter weigh there softness with some sandpaper on the second pretty hard to win a cup with your top 2 lines unwilling to get into the dirty areas. Say all you want about Coho's skill set I agree he has alot of potential but he could never surpass Kesler to play a second line role on this team because he can't match Keslers willingness to play a hard game. That said for that matter wouldn't make a great playoff 3rd line center either nor would he be happy in that role playing checking minutes against other teams pf's was not his strength and teams would smell that and attack it. Giving him sheltered ice time in the playoffs is not an option. Hence the only option was to move him it made sense to me perfectly. That said Kassian may not have the polish of Coho and probably wont have as good a career imo but he is 100% a better fit for this team because there is no one standing in his place where he could peak thus has the option where Coho didn't to flourish on THIS team.

For this reason Coho and Luongo are not comparable. Schnider can offer something Luongo hasn't mental toughness. That said I still believe that Luongo is the better goalie however Schnider may be better for this team. The canucks seem to play with more confidence infront of him. just my opinion

Now before anyone rants on me for being a "Luongo Lover" or "Hodgson Fanboy" hear me out and try to think of this objectively as possible.

Last season we had 3 very viable centers - Henrik, Kesler and Hodgson. Henrik, the veteran, is one of the league's best forwards and our captain and has proven himself consistently over the last odd decade. Kesler, not quite as old as Henrik but as big a leader and part of this team as he. Then there's Hodgson, the high draft pick and superstar in the making. He had done it all up to this point - performed exceptionally at big tournaments, put up stellar numbers in junior leagues and was basically on-par with Eberle in terms of development. Then this kid scores at a 20 goal, 40 point pace in his first season with the Canucks to prove himself. However, we trade Hodgson and keep Henrik and Kesler.

Now my question is, why are we trading Luongo but keeping Schneider? These goalies are in a very similar if not exact same predicament. We had Luongo (our former captain), one of the best goalies in the world and a veteran, and then Schneider - a guy who like Hodgson had played well in minor leagues. Schneider then plays in the NHL in limited game time and produces great numbers, similar to how Hodgson did. Nothing spectacular, he only played around 30 games, but his NHL success in limited time was very comparable to Hodgson's success in limited minutes.

My response to "oh but Luongo crapped the bed in the playoffs and looked shaky all year" is simple - how great was Kesler when it mattered most? 1 goal in his final 18 games of the season. That is on most other teams grounds for a swap, just brutal and a big reason we didn't beat Los Angeles. Kesler had a terrible season last year, Hodgson had a great one yet we didn't trade Kesler and keep Hodgson in the #2 center spot. Why not? Because Kesler won a Selke? Because Kesler had 2 good 70-point seasons? Hodgson was more than capable of playing a #2 center spot role and would eventually take our #1 spot without a doubt.

Now look back at Luongo. Luongo was also a superstar goalie and had a couple of stellar seasons. Yet we want to trade him, why? If you want to keep Henrik and Kesler over Hodgson, you should want to have Luongo in net over Schneider. It is an identical situation yet everyone's minds have been warped by the media and how our players have been portrayed - Kesler the superhero who plays with emotion and scores in big games and Luongo as the fragile goalie whose burned out. On the contrary, Kesler is the one coming off 3 major surgeries (the definition of fragile and burned out if you ask me) and Luongo is the one who single-handedly took this franchise to Game 7 and played big in the Gold Medal Game.

So simply, with all of that in mind, why Schneider over Luongo when we stuck with Kesler and Henrik over Hodgson?

Obvious differences between Schneider and Hodgon.

Schneider played his backup role to Luongo for two years - has never complained, was a great team-mate, has said all the right things. performed extremely consistently at an outstanding level. Schneider has earned his position - at this point he's the better player. You sure as hell can't pretend Hodgson is better than Hank or Kesler.

Schneider re-signed before testing the RFA offersheet market - a real serious, good faith, team player move that really helped put Gillis in the favourable position he's now in. Hodgson's agent went to the Province and whined about his ice-time, compared him to Steven Stamkos, and precipitated the events that lead to Cody being sent somewhere he can get his minutes.

Schneider - the young guy, who like the rest of the Canucks leadership core, earned his dues with hard work and performance over seasons - while respecting the veteran ahead of him - a young player who actually has real leadership qualities.

All you proved is that we shouldn't have traded Hodgson. I agree, though your agenda showed when you were trying to make the comparison between Hodgson, Kesler and Schneider. I don't think Hodgson has the upside to be better than Kesler, whereas Schneider might already be better than Luongo. Not better in the body of work sense, but in terms of quality of play now.

Hodgson will NEVER be as good as Henrik. Ever.

You love Luongo. We get it. Not need to waste our time trying to debate about something unless you have something of substance to spark debate.

Schneider is one of, if not the best, goalie prospect in the league and he is just about in his prime age. Hodgson while good isn't at the same level as Schneider and has much less preparation and experience. Sometimes circumstances and the strengths of the team play a role. Look at Pttsburgh trading Jordan Staal. Not many teams would trade a guy like that, but because of the situation in Pittsburgh he gets dealt. If the Canucks had Jordan Staal instead of Schneider it very well could have been Kesler in all the trade talks.

Archived