The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC's ability to take in the effect of long-term injuries is TOO DAMN LOW (looooong read but may be worth it)

Ugli Fruit

Injuries play a part, but lets try and keep things into perspective when it comes to Raymond and Malhotra. Especially with Raymond, his game went south long before he broke his spine. Want to blame it on broken fingers? Well go for it. The problem with Raymond, good spine/fingers or no is that he's too small. Not height wise, but weight wise and that's why it'll never work with him. He has the worst center of balance because of that fact. This is why short stocky guys with the same weight fair better. This is also why the guy gets hurt a lot.

Manny won't be the same either, but maybe he can contribute more than last year, we've seen in years past that guys do get some improvement back with eye injuries, even if it's not the same. But Malhotra's roll is far different, his faceoff numbers didn't diminish last year so he still has that left to contribute as a 4th liner.

Meh, I don't want to assume too much about the severity of their injuries. For example, Raymond's injury was a bone injury, not a muscle injury, so he may or may not still be feeling pain. Muscle injuries can cause pain with movement, but I'm not sure about spinal injuries. Also we don't know how bad Manny's eyesight is. He has a special contact, so it's not like he's playing with one eye. If anything their problems were caused by having less time to get in game shape over the summer.

Also, this may sound harsh, but management has to make decisions based on who can help the team, regardless of injuries. The most effective players get the spots. If they think a player can return to his old form, great. But if not, then either find them a new role where they can be effective or find someone else to do it for them.

I agree with the OP. And you know what I thought, when I saw that our first game is against Anaheim? I thought of the last time we played the Ducks, and how we'd already clinched first overall and the division, and how the fans booed Luongo in that meaningless game when he gave up three goals, and cheered when he was pulled. I remember how I KNEW right then and there that we were going out in the first round. What kind of fans boo their goalie after clinching the President's Trophy, in a meaningless regular season game?

Archived