#1 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:40 AM

POPULAR

Today was their last day skating at UBC (according to Schroeder)... Manny was leading the drills and all the Canucks were there save Hansen. Also in attendance was Connauton, Barker, whom I didn't notice at all while they were practicing and Schroeder, who was the fourth most noticeable (in a very good way) Canuck, behind the Sedins and Luongo (who was great). He was very very smart with the puck and made some great great passes, and ripped a few above-average NHL shots.

Here is the article from the day:

VANCOUVER -- Roberto Luongo says he is willing to wait as long as necessary for a trade.
The goaltender returned to the ice for an informal workout with his Vancouver Canucks teammates Friday while facing an uncertain NHL future.
Luongo was displaced as Vancouver's starting goaltender byCory Schneider in last spring's Stanley Cup playoffs. After the season, Luongo said he would waive his no-trade clause if asked. But Vancouver general manager Mike Gillis could not swing a deal before the 113-day NHL lockout began Sept. 15.
"I told (Gillis) I was ready to go as long as it took," said Luongo. "Whether it's a couple days, next week, two weeks, at the end of the season, it's totally fine with me."
Luongo has long been rumoured to be headed to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Trades are prohibited until players have ratified the proposed new collective bargaining agreement.
Approval is expected on the weekend, with NHL training camps expected to open Sunday.
Pending a trade, Luongo will attend Vancouver's camp after he was not expected to.
"If you asked in May last year, I would have said no," said Luongo when asked whether he expected to be back with the Canucks.
As the lockout dragged on, Luongo expected that he might be back, and said in September at a Canucks charity golf tournament he would be at camp, if necessary.
Luongo, 33, who was acquired from the Florida Panther after the last lockout cancelled the entire 2004-05 season, said he is not worrying about his future. Now that he is in his 30s, and having dealt with many things with the Canucks, he has been able to stay calm about his situation.
When he was in his 20s, the Montreal native indicated, he would have been more stressed out.
"I've matured in the sense where I can handle adversity than I did back then," said Luongo. "That's why I've been really calm about the whole situation. I've been able to enjoy it, even though it's not an easy situation. The fact that I'm so comfortable here will make it much easier."
His pending departure is also much different than the unexpected trade from the Panthers that led to his arrival in Vancouver.
"The whole thing was a different circumstance," he said. "I was just shocked by the whole thing."
But despite being prepared for a trade out of Vancouver, it will still be difficult to leave the Canucks. Many of his teammates were with the team when he arrived, and he has forged close friendships with them.
"Those are the things that make it hard," he said. "A lot of important moments happened here in Vancouver."
Luongo's teammates were happy to be back on the ice with him. They said his presence and the trade speculation surround him will not be a distraction.
Luongo ($5.3 million) and Schneider ($4 million) count for a total of $9.3 million on Vancouver's salary cap until a deal is done. With the salary cap slated to be reduced to $64.3 million next season from a pro-rated $70.2 million this season, there is more urgency to trade Luongo for financial reasons.
But coach Alain Vigneault refused to say who will be the team's starter when the season opens.
"(Luongo's) one of my two goaltenders," said Vigneault during a media availability at Rogers Arena. "We've always made the decisions in the best interest of the team. We've got two great goaltenders, two great people that are great teammates and both want to play."
Like Canuck players, Vigneault is not worried about Luongo's presence being a disruption at the outset of a compressed season in which all teams must play well from the get-go.
"You have seen (Luongo) throughout the last couple of months," said Vigneault. "He's a class individual. He's a smart and bright young man.
"He always puts the team ahead of himself, and he's a Vancouver Canuck player, and I'm not gonna speculate on what's going on outside of that. Right now he's one of my two goaltenders -- and I'm very fortunate to have him."
Schneider, who signed a new three-year contract worth a total of $12 million in the summer, said Luongo's presence will not be a problem. The two have become close friends in the past few seasons, and Schneider credits much of his success to Luongo.
"I've learned a lot just by watching him," said Schneider. "It's not that he's sat me down and taught me the secrets of life. But just by sitting down and watching him go about his business, it was fun to watch and great to see how you become one of the best goalies in the NHL. I think I've taken a lot of those cues from him."
The Canucks, who have won the President's Trophy as the top team in the past two regular seasons, rate as the team to beat in a shortened season. The campaign is expected to be set a 48 games.
Schneider indicated he has no concerns about Luongo possibly staying with the Canucks for the whole season, if necessary.
"It's gonna be a sprint," said Schneider. "And to have two good goalies through a 48-game sprint, I'm sure we can make that work."
Luongo said he would not speculate on whether he is bound for Toronto, or his potential trade to the Leafs factored into the club's dismissal of former general manager Brian Burke. The goaltender does not want to pay "too much attention" to his future until Gillis presents an actual offer for him to consider.
In the meantime, his teammates are just glad to have him around.
"We had a few good laughs this morning," said winger Alex Burrows. "But once we get on the ice, he's all professional, all business."

After the practice, I was able to sneak into the media scrum (I got past the yellow tape and the guy keeping fans from doing that by sneaking into it when people were crowded around a player in the middle of the no-go zone). It was really cool to hear those quotes first hand and talk to and stand beside some pretty cool people. It is really worse than a mosh pit.. As far as personal space goes. Even worse, is that Luongo speaks softly enough that most of the people couldn't hear him. After TSN/Sportsnet left, it was just me and 5 local reporters (including Cam Charron)... I got to ask him a couple of questions! One was if he had read into the new clause that basically punishes the Canucks for signing him, and if so did he care? He said not really, he just stops pucks. My second question was how he felt in comparison to this time last year, as far as game shape goes but also having a chance to rest from those nagging injuries that build up over the course of a season... He said that he is fresh and really just wants to get into some game action.
After the interview, he took the time to sign autographs/take pictures with every single fan that wanted them. He seemed very classy and seems like a genuinely good guy... I wish him the best wherever he plays and I hope he can win a cup here... Unlikely as that might be.

Some other highlights not in that article:
When asked where he didn't want to go: Edmonton (it was sort of in a joking tone~ish, but that was the first one he thought of and I think he meant it). He also doesn't think he will be going to Florida.

He has talked to MG less than a handful of times since the season ended.

He really enjoyed working with Francois. He didn't go into details, but is happy with the adjustments.

He said that even though he knows that it could happen any time, he will still feel shock if/when it happens.

I talked with the Canucks professional "Chaplain" who appears to sort of the Canuck's councillor. He has been with the team for 3 years and despite being officially affiliated, he has stayed in contact with the Canucks throughout the lockout. Is this a standard position for an NHL team? Or is it just MG being a step ahead, as usual?

The fourth line for practice always had Weise and Volpatti on it, while Lapierre and Kassian took turns on it at times.

Schroeder looked much much better than Ebbet, and I really think that playing with players who think the game as well as he does will make him infinitely better... I don't see Ebbet winning this battle at all.

Not much else of note... Booth fell down, Higgins knocked over a water bottle, Burr and Lu were joking a lot... Raymond talks like a surfer dude when he is on the bench...

Give me a follow on twitter @austeane

Edited by Edler's Mind Tricks, 12 January 2013 - 03:40 AM.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#2 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

hope Lu sticks around but if not best of luck to him wherever he goes, he's always seemed like a classy guy.

#3 Wh!stler R!der

Wh!stler R!der

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

I want to see him at practice today but I'm wondering what time I should be there. 11? Anyways I want to try and get him to sign my Loungo Jersey before he moves on and wish him the best. So what time do they normally practice?
This city deserves a championship. This is the best era in Canucks history, keep bleeding blue n green always!
Win it for Ripper, Luc and Demo.

#4 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

I like the Schroeder details, but how were Tanev/Kassian/Connauton? Was Barker's size noticeable? Any ideas on why Hansen wasn't skating?

Thanks for the info!

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#5 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:50 AM

I'm telling you, baby: Booth, Kesler and Schroeder will light it up.
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#6 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:53 AM

I'll be heartbroken if Luongo leaves... And the team won't realize what they've given up until it's too late!

#7 austy

austy

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

I wonder why Raymond talks like a surfer dude?

please be gentle with my posts...I am Australian, hockey isnt my first language.

#8 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,196 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

Good to hear that Luongo was one of the best on the ice, if he gets any opportunity at all he'll win back his starting position. Hopefully we can hang onto him until at least the trade deadline, because he will prove all these doubters wrong by then. If he does get traded I hope it's to a contender so he can win a Cup over there and rub it in the stupid Canucks fan and media-base's faces for driving him out of this city.
Posted Image

#9 Bleed Blue and Green

Bleed Blue and Green

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Where are they practicing today??

DeeCanucksBlog7_zps935c66c6.jpg

#10 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Where was Schneider?????

#11 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'll be heartbroken if Luongo leaves... And the team won't realize what they've given up until it's too late!

Read the article again, he clearly states he wants to be traded. Just let it go, Cory will be fine and we will get a solid player or two for him.

#12 Rollieo Del Fuego

Rollieo Del Fuego

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

To the OP;

"The fourth line for practice always had Weise and Volpatti on it, while Lapierre and Kassian took turns on it at times."

Who played center when Lappy was not on this line?

#13 Dakattack92

Dakattack92

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

To the OP;

"The fourth line for practice always had Weise and Volpatti on it, while Lapierre and Kassian took turns on it at times."

Malhotra?

#14 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Good to hear that Luongo was one of the best on the ice, if he gets any opportunity at all he'll win back his starting position. Hopefully we can hang onto him until at least the trade deadline, because he will prove all these doubters wrong by then. If he does get traded I hope it's to a contender so he can win a Cup over there and rub it in the stupid Canucks fan and media-base's faces for driving him out of this city.

You need counselling for this "Lu crush" you have.

FYI - it wasn't the fans that chose to put Cory in net last playoffs and I'm pretty sure AV didin't do it to please some fans. IF you're angry about the Lu situation, aim your vitriol at management, not the Nucks fna base.

#15 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

You need counselling for this "Lu crush" you have.

FYI - it wasn't the fans that chose to put Cory in net last playoffs and I'm pretty sure AV didin't do it to please some fans. IF you're angry about the Lu situation, aim your vitriol at management, not the Nucks fna base.

You are extremely delusional if u think the moronic fans had Nothing to do with it. Management n about were under pressure. Luongo was our best player vs the kings. If he stayed in net for games three and four we may have been hoisting the cup and not the kings. Luongo is better. He's proven all his life that hes better. He's just better than Schneider.
WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

#16 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

who was Schroeder playing with? was it various linemates?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#17 mofans

mofans

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

As i have said repeatedly, if Lou wants to stay, keep him. Schneider is incredible , both are. If he IS to be traded, and that seems to be likely, do it AFTER the Season. We need another Goalie, fact. If Schneider gets hurt or whatever, then we have someone we KNOW who is #1. Yes, I too will be Heartsick, when, and if Lou leaves. The guy is so special in many respects. You want someone who is good to the Fans, respects them, loves them, and the City? Someone who gives of himself at every opportunity? Who bears the coals heaped on his head, with grace, and dignity? So very much of the disrespect given to Lou ,is totally undeserved, and yet he accepts it. It must hurt, but he never shows it, nor disrespects the Fans. Well, that pretty much describes OUR Luongo. He is respected by his Teammates, and management, that's obvious. If Vancouver Fans are expecting "Perfection" ,then you
have come pretty damn close with this great guy. It's YOU who have put him in this position,then knocked him down, because after all , he IS a "mere Mortal". We are blessed to have two Top Men as Goalies, as well as the rest of the Team. I proudly call myself a FAN, because in my World, that means being there through the tough times, and the great times. There are lots of others out there that feel the same. Now, let's play some damn Hockey, and GO CANUCKS !!!

#18 mofans

mofans

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

As i have said repeatedly, if Lou wants to stay, keep him. Schneider is incredible , both are. If he IS to be traded, and that seems to be likely, do it AFTER the Season. We need another Goalie, fact. If Schneider gets hurt or whatever, then we have someone we KNOW who is #1. Yes, I too will be Heartsick, when, and if Lou leaves. The guy is so special in many respects. You want someone who is good to the Fans, respects them, loves them, and the City? Someone who gives of himself at every opportunity? Who bears the coals heaped on his head, with grace, and dignity? So very much of the disrespect given to Lou ,is totally undeserved, and yet he accepts it. It must hurt, but he never shows it, nor disrespects the Fans. Well, that pretty much describes OUR Luongo. He is respected by his Teammates, and management, that's obvious. If Vancouver Fans are expecting "Perfection" ,then you
have come pretty damn close with this great guy. It's YOU who have put him in this position,then knocked him down, because after all , he IS a "mere Mortal". We are blessed to have two Top Men as Goalies, as well as the rest of the Team. I proudly call myself a FAN, because in my World, that means being there through the tough times, and the great times. There are lots of others out there that feel the same. Now, let's play some damn Hockey, and GO CANUCKS !!!

#19 mofans

mofans

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

#20 mofans

mofans

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

#21 Fateless

Fateless

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

You are extremely delusional if u think the moronic fans had Nothing to do with it. Management n about were under pressure. Luongo was our best player vs the kings. If he stayed in net for games three and four we may have been hoisting the cup and not the kings. Luongo is better. He's proven all his life that hes better. He's just better than Schneider.

First off, I hardly think that the fanbase forced Managements hand into replacing Luongo with Schneider for the starting position.

Second off, I would hope that Luongo was "better" all around, Luongo has many years of experience over Schneider. With that said, Schneider clearly excels in something that the Canucks desperately need: consistency. Luongo let in way to many goals to not have been pulled in the games versus the Kings.

i1u6zif.gif

#22 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Luongo just deserves starter over Schnieder, and can steal the job back. I can't wait to see the season start up. I'm also very happy to see a few players here come and show Lou love, he's best we've ever had.
Posted Image

#23 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,449 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

wowza, you got some pretty good access to the team eh!
That's what i love when they practice at the small rinks.

Good for you for getting in there and asking some questions (good questions too I might add!).
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#24 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

I want to see him at practice today but I'm wondering what time I should be there. 11? Anyways I want to try and get him to sign my Loungo Jersey before he moves on and wish him the best. So what time do they normally practice?

This was the time at UBC I believe, though they could possibly practice there tomorrow if the memoriam of understanding is not signed tonight.

I like the Schroeder details, but how were Tanev/Kassian/Connauton? Was Barker's size noticeable? Any ideas on why Hansen wasn't skating?

Thanks for the info!

Tanev was smart with the puck... He shot seemed accurate but I didn't see a full on slapshot.
Connauton didn't do much that was noticeable either way.
Barker was definitely big but the whole practice didn't have much contact (outside of Alberts...)

Where was Schneider?????

He was playing and seemed solid but Luongo has some spectacular saves.

Read the article again, he clearly states he wants to be traded. Just let it go, Cory will be fine and we will get a solid player or two for him.

He said that he is closer to winning a cup here then anywhere else in his career and still wants to win one here. However he is ready to be traded whenever it happens. He wants to be the starter but recognizes that Schneider is younger and just as good.

To the OP;

It was tough to tell as there were no faceoffs really. There were times where Volpatti Kassian and Weise were on the ice at the same time.

who was Schroeder playing with? was it various linemates?

Various linemates but he seemed to be with Booth most consistently.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#25 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Nobody drove him out of the freaking city. God, so sick of fools continuously chanting that on this site. For everyone who booed Luongo in his bad games or talked smack about him, there's 10 other fans who cheered him on. He's a professional, he can take criticism and that's NOT why he is leaving if he does. The fact you relish in the idea of 'rubbing it in everyone's face' is pretty pathetic too, man. I'll be happy if the Canucks win a cup regardless of who's in net.

I guess you don't live in Vancouver so I understand if all you saw was on TV / the internet when people criticized him. But trust me, if you're ever around an actual Canucks event or if there's ever a Luongo sighting in the city, the fans love this guy. He knows he has a ton of fans that adore him here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.