Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Will Kesler be the same?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 one-x

one-x

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Kesler missed quite a few games due to surgery last year and he never really was able to shake it off when he came back. Now he's had a couple more and I'm not sure if he'll be as good as he was a couple years back. Am I the only one nervous about him?

tumblr_m8tr8mGRkW1rdrug2o1_400.jpg    tumblr_ncj1ajVA7j1tb6rtvo2_250.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Maybe a little but I think he'll be just fine.

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#3 Linden's_Forgotten_Son

Linden's_Forgotten_Son

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

I think he came back to early last season, and his play suffered the consequences, if we allow him to get to 100% I think he'll make a full recovery.

#4 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,798 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

If he actually comes back at 100%, which he hasn't done for a while, I believe he'll do just fine.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Let me get my crystal ball.

Sig too big. -SN

#6 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79,270 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Nope, not a 40 goal scorer. Maybe a 30. But I have a feeling he is going to be rushed and start playing again. I hope not, really need him for the Playoffs.

307mg00.jpg

#7 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Better than last season, but not as good as the season before(2010-2011 season).
Posted Image

#8 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

I think it's natural to be nervous about him. We all know that he's capable of being a super star from what we saw in his 40 goal season. All we can do is hope we can get the Kesler we know and love back, and not someone who's rushing himself and playing half injured. When Kesler is on his game, we get performances like we saw in Van vs. Nashville and the olympics (aka elite). When he's off his game, he seems to dive and hog the puck too much.

Every person and injury is different, so we'll see how it turns out. There's no way to really tell until we see him play again. The one bright side of the lockout was players like Kesler didn't feel the need to rush back into playing, so hopefully he got a lot more healing in than would've been the case if there was no lockout.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 12 January 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#9 Hunter.S-Kerouac

Hunter.S-Kerouac

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

Posted Image

#10 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,064 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

He'll be lucky to be able to score at a 50 point, 25 goal pace. This guy finished last season TERRIBLY with 1 goal in the final 18 games and was invisible. If that's just after hip surgery I can't imagine how useless he'll be following two major surgeries to the same arm.

His shot will be a lot weaker and he won't hit as much thanks to wrist and shoulder surgery, and without enough time to rehab and train properly he won't be anywhere near as good as he can be. I hate to say it fans but Kesler is pretty much finished. At least he can kill penalties and play good defence, because I doubt he'll be scoring goals any time soon.

Ideally, we can get Kesler back to playing the set up man for Booth and Higgins. He is capable of a 50-assist season (he had a couple of seasons ago) so once he realises his wrist shot is too weak after these injuries he'll hopefully revert back to his playmaker abilities. Booth and Higgins are both capable snipers who need a playmaker and Kesler can be just that.
Posted Image

#11 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

Im really nervous about him. IMO, the Nucks don't have a good shot at the cup without Kesler at 100%. He's so critical to our offense and to AV's matchup game. Some guys seem to heal really well from injuries and come back without missing a beat (think Sami Salo), and other guys like Kesler just can't seem to regain their step. I hope I'm wrong but I think we're going to see another sub-par season from #17.

#12 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

I dunno. I don't think it's as much a physical problem as it is a mental one. Players have come back from worse injuries just fine. His problems last year weren't so much because of any lack of speed or strength, but just the decisions he made while playing. He seemed frustrated and tried to force things that he couldn't do even at 100%.

#13 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

I don't think he'll be able to get back to shape, but hopefully he can be close to it. 30-35Goals in a full season
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

#14 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,752 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

If the Canucks rush him back in the regular season no he won't be the same. If he rests up and gets up to full game speed and comes back when he's 100% he's going to absolutely dominate the playoffs.

seU9GBs.gif

#15 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

The inside story will be told when the Canucks announce 2c.

Kes is about to be replaced with no return date imminent and no guarantees on his return to form.

#16 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 27,823 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

During the offseason he'll be traded to Toronto for 2 first rounders and a second.

;)
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#17 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

Be interesting to see if the Luongo sweepstakes goes to Florida.

A trade for Weiss out of Florida (who has indicated Florida will lose him at end of season) and Allen would bolster the Canucks situation.

#18 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

If that's just after hip surgery I can't imagine how useless he'll be following two major surgeries to the same arm.

I hate to say it fans but Kesler is pretty much finished. At least he can kill penalties and play good defence, because I doubt he'll be scoring goals any time soon.

Dumbest post of the evening. But thanks for your prognosis, doctor.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 13 January 2013 - 12:24 AM.

#19 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

Good question. Definitely threads like these are needed.

I think he's gonna be OK.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#20 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

Better than last season, but not as good as the season before(2010-2011 season).

Exactly. His wristshot was bogus due to his wrist. So he'll put up a better goal per game ratio than last year.

Posted Image

#21 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

People need to remember that Ryan Kesler was signed as a 2nd line center, that can play a two-way game by shutting down the match up and putting 50 points. The first two seasons, he exceeded expectations partially because he played on the first unit power play with the Twins. He learned how to get in front of the net, and developed a wicked wrister that we probably won't see again. So what I am saying is:

As long as he can put up 50 points, and can shut down players, he will be worthy of his contract. Everything above is bonus. He's suppose to be a secondary offense on this team. The Twins are suppose to do most of the damage.

#22 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

Kesler needs to become a playmaker, so no.

Posted Image

#23 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

People need to remember that Ryan Kesler was signed as a 2nd line center, that can play a two-way game by shutting down the match up and putting 50 points. The first two seasons, he exceeded expectations partially because he played on the first unit power play with the Twins. He learned how to get in front of the net, and developed a wicked wrister that we probably won't see again. So what I am saying is:

As long as he can put up 50 points, and can shut down players, he will be worthy of his contract. Everything above is bonus. He's suppose to be a secondary offense on this team. The Twins are suppose to do most of the damage.

Have a little faith. Kesler's competitive spirit is exceptional, if there's a way for him to return to 40 goal scoring form, I believe he'll do what he has to do to make it happen.

#24 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,912 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

i hope not

the guy needs to grow some balls and play like a man

#25 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

I think you bring up a important question. Personally I don't think he'll be the same, he won't be better than he was nor will he be as good as he was. Would I like him to be better? Of course but I think history show's that things aren't always the same after what Kesler has gone through. Combined with his stubborn ways he could be his own worst enemy. I still expect him to be very good, just not the same old Kesler.

#26 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

It will be very frustrating for Kes to recover from two surgeries. I hope that he will be a more thoughtful player and less injury proned. I can't see Selke in his future, but he will still be an important part of the team. I think he will be a good 2nd line player for the duration of his contract.

#27 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

I can see home getting back to being a 60-70 point player again (very good for a 2nd line center) but I doubt he'll ever score 40+ again

#28 one-x

one-x

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Good question. Definitely threads like these are needed.

I think he's gonna be OK.

Not sure if sarcasm or....

tumblr_m8tr8mGRkW1rdrug2o1_400.jpg    tumblr_ncj1ajVA7j1tb6rtvo2_250.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#29 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Im worried too, especially with the small amount of games this season.... I just hope he comes back 110% healthy that's it.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#30 unknown33429

unknown33429

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

People said Malkin was done, and he came back to win the Hart. Fans are usually really short-sighted.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.