The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Kesler be the same?

one-x

People need to remember that Ryan Kesler was signed as a 2nd line center, that can play a two-way game by shutting down the match up and putting 50 points. The first two seasons, he exceeded expectations partially because he played on the first unit power play with the Twins. He learned how to get in front of the net, and developed a wicked wrister that we probably won't see again. So what I am saying is:

As long as he can put up 50 points, and can shut down players, he will be worthy of his contract. Everything above is bonus. He's suppose to be a secondary offense on this team. The Twins are suppose to do most of the damage.

People need to remember that Ryan Kesler was signed as a 2nd line center, that can play a two-way game by shutting down the match up and putting 50 points. The first two seasons, he exceeded expectations partially because he played on the first unit power play with the Twins. He learned how to get in front of the net, and developed a wicked wrister that we probably won't see again. So what I am saying is:

As long as he can put up 50 points, and can shut down players, he will be worthy of his contract. Everything above is bonus. He's suppose to be a secondary offense on this team. The Twins are suppose to do most of the damage.

I think you bring up a important question. Personally I don't think he'll be the same, he won't be better than he was nor will he be as good as he was. Would I like him to be better? Of course but I think history show's that things aren't always the same after what Kesler has gone through. Combined with his stubborn ways he could be his own worst enemy. I still expect him to be very good, just not the same old Kesler.

It will be very frustrating for Kes to recover from two surgeries. I hope that he will be a more thoughtful player and less injury proned. I can't see Selke in his future, but he will still be an important part of the team. I think he will be a good 2nd line player for the duration of his contract.

I'm worried about this... Kesler hasn't looked the same for a long, long time. Basically ever since our Stanley Cup final series, Kesler has looked off to me. Now he's just had major surgery and a less than stellar recovery. I'm a huge fan of Kesler and I wish him the best, but I'm definitely worried.

The Canucks seem to be cursed, seriously. Ever since Steve Moore hit Naslund, our team hasn't had a full healthy year I don't think? That hit ended Naslund's career. Henrik has been injured, most of our defesemen have been injuried, and I'm fairly sure every year we've had at least 1-2 defensemen miss playoff games, Daniel got cheap-shotted by gutless coward Keith. Then there's Mason Raymond's back... it's a miracle the guy came back to hockey at all. Luc Bourdon died, poor guy. I can go on and on... but the point is:

I can't remember a year where our entire team was mostly healthy. I honestly think the Canucks might have the worst injury luck of all the elite teams in the NHL. Kesler not being the same would just continue the trend.

i hope not

the guy needs to grow some balls and play like a man

Sure, ok. For those watching the NHL from home, it's a little different than actually playing in the NHL...they only make it look easy.

Over the past few years Kes has sustained:

torn acetabular labrum

displaced index finger (surgery required)

cross-check in the face

skate blade stomp on his calf.

torn labrum (hip), required cortisone shots to continue playing for the remainder of the playoffs (his injury was not revealed until the off-season, however) - required surgery

Shoulder injury

Not to mention other bumps and bruises along the way. The average Joe would have trouble tying their shoes let alone play an impact sport, yet these guys still find a way to get out there and battle, sucking it up in order to try and help their teammates. Kes has been a warrior.

I am quite certain you're referring to diving which, yeah, has been a bit of a problem....but it's not because he's a wimp, it's because in order to "push back" as a Canuck, it's meant risking getting tossed or heavily penalized. There was no room for Canucks to play physical because it was called in a lopsided manner. Yet, other teams have been allowed to run us over. If you don't admit that reffing has had been a problem (and yes, the residue of that is that some will still try to "help" with calls), then it's pointless. It's no excuse for players to resort to this behavior, but I understand why they have (at times)...some of the officiating has been pathetic and, in turn, calls for a pathetic response. Clean that up and the other stuff goes away.

If the Canucks had a Zach Kassian or two at 26 or 28 years of age the diving would not have to be utilised as the team would have the protection they deserve and need.

When you can take care of each other adequately the skilled guys can play and the diving usually is not an issue.

Edit: I am not attempting to disparage the points you made on Kes,specifically,as they are fact.Kes and Burr are the heart and soul of this team.

However,skilled players can concentrate specifically on the play when they have a deterrent with skill,on the ice,that prevents or limits cheap play.

That gets rid of the ambiguous reffing as the players are not worried about creating retribution with antics.

Proactive management finds deterrent with skill and that needs to be applied for both lines one and two on this team.

Asking Kassian to protect and produce at his age is like signing Luo to a twelve year deal after he has had multiple groin injuries.

No he won't be the same. He'll be just as stubborn, that's what worries me. Good players adjust during their careers, enabling them to stretch their careers into their later 30's. I think that's the question with Kessler. I think he'll be healed physically but how will he adjust mentally? His game will not be the same from simply not playing for so long. The guy is almost 2 years past the original injury, that in itself will slow a guy down. It's going to take him time just to get his timing back.

Archived