The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Kesler be the same?

one-x

Kesler missed quite a few games due to surgery last year and he never really was able to shake it off when he came back. Now he's had a couple more and I'm not sure if he'll be as good as he was a couple years back. Am I the only one nervous about him?

I think it's natural to be nervous about him. We all know that he's capable of being a super star from what we saw in his 40 goal season. All we can do is hope we can get the Kesler we know and love back, and not someone who's rushing himself and playing half injured. When Kesler is on his game, we get performances like we saw in Van vs. Nashville and the olympics (aka elite). When he's off his game, he seems to dive and hog the puck too much.

Every person and injury is different, so we'll see how it turns out. There's no way to really tell until we see him play again. The one bright side of the lockout was players like Kesler didn't feel the need to rush back into playing, so hopefully he got a lot more healing in than would've been the case if there was no lockout.

He'll be lucky to be able to score at a 50 point, 25 goal pace. This guy finished last season TERRIBLY with 1 goal in the final 18 games and was invisible. If that's just after hip surgery I can't imagine how useless he'll be following two major surgeries to the same arm.

His shot will be a lot weaker and he won't hit as much thanks to wrist and shoulder surgery, and without enough time to rehab and train properly he won't be anywhere near as good as he can be. I hate to say it fans but Kesler is pretty much finished. At least he can kill penalties and play good defence, because I doubt he'll be scoring goals any time soon.

Ideally, we can get Kesler back to playing the set up man for Booth and Higgins. He is capable of a 50-assist season (he had a couple of seasons ago) so once he realises his wrist shot is too weak after these injuries he'll hopefully revert back to his playmaker abilities. Booth and Higgins are both capable snipers who need a playmaker and Kesler can be just that.

I dunno. I don't think it's as much a physical problem as it is a mental one. Players have come back from worse injuries just fine. His problems last year weren't so much because of any lack of speed or strength, but just the decisions he made while playing. He seemed frustrated and tried to force things that he couldn't do even at 100%.

Im really nervous about him. IMO, the Nucks don't have a good shot at the cup without Kesler at 100%. He's so critical to our offense and to AV's matchup game. Some guys seem to heal really well from injuries and come back without missing a beat (think Sami Salo), and other guys like Kesler just can't seem to regain their step. I hope I'm wrong but I think we're going to see another sub-par season from #17.

If that's just after hip surgery I can't imagine how useless he'll be following two major surgeries to the same arm.

I hate to say it fans but Kesler is pretty much finished. At least he can kill penalties and play good defence, because I doubt he'll be scoring goals any time soon.

Archived