The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Out of Boredom - NJ & Ottawa

The worst proposals are probably made out of boredom, but here it goes..

Ottawa sends to NJ:

Robin Lehner

Peter Regin

NJ sends to Ottawa:

Travis Zajac

2nd round pick (or maybe a 3rd)

Zajac is an upcoming UFA.

NJ needs a goalie to be ready for some action next season and full action the season after that, as both Brodeur and Hedberg's deals run out. Lehner has been unreal this year.

Regin kind of got pushed down the depth chart a bit with the acquisition of Turris and missing a lot of games to injury, he won't necessarily fit in the top-9 anywhere. But he's a big body who's good in front of the net and can play all 3 forward positions. A fresh start might be needed for the youngster who has shown progress in his career so far.

Ottawa could definitely use a proven offensive player in their top-6, esp. with Alfredsson's retirement possibly looming at the end of this year.

You're probably right.

I was thinking the 2nd wasn't necessarily straight up for Regin, but more a replacement since Ottawa would be giving more of the youth up, esp. Lehner who is just starting out.

But you're right in the sense that Zajac would be a huge loss at C, but keep in mind that NJ played most of the regular season without him last year, putting Elias, Henrique, Zubrus, Josefson and Carter down the middle - all of whom are returning and Regin can also play center. Henrique is only improving, same with Josefson.

It's not a bad deal, Elias is Winger, or atleast he has been for awhile though he can play C. My guess is that he would be on the 1st line with Kovalchuk and Zajac.

It's not a bad proposal, the 2nd makes up for Zajac being a pending UFA but as a player I think he is worth Lehner alone, maybe more, also from Ottawa's perspective it is nice adding a great player like Zajac but it doesn't really fill a need, Zajac is a 1st liner IMO, maybe a borderline 1st liner but I think he is a solid 1st liner, they have Spezza in that spot and he's a better player, he could fit on the 2nd but they have Turris who is young and they probably want him in a top 6 role.

Maybe if you added a defensemen or 2 it might be better for Ottawa, not sure what NJD has that could make it fair though, maybe Josefson, Tedenby then 1 of Fayne, Greene or Volchenkov. Is that fair or an overpayment?

Archived