The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Many Points Should We Expect From Zack Kassian

Peter Gunn

How Many Points Do Expect From Zack  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My expectations have little to do with points.

Here's what I want from Kassian.

To pick up where he left off last year. His point production is not worth dwelling upon. All facets of the game that are important - the points will come.

To play an aggressive but disciplined game without going out of his way to make big hits - he did this well last year as a rookie. He has 'pushback' and stands up for his team-mates, but this should be measured - there's no point in compromising himself with too much of an enforcer role. That's not his role imo. He has that 'keep your head up' quality. That alone is an asset.

To backcheck and play as hard in his own end of the ice as anywhere else. He did this as a rookie. Very important to AV. I disagree with people who think AV "benched" him - it looked more like he suffered a shoulder injury near season's end.

To make good decisions with the puck. I was impressed by his hockey intelligence last year. He passes the puck well, has good vision, and has a good possession game, compatible with the Canuck's style.

To be able to adjust to different roles. He was used up and down the lineup and he'll probably continue to see differing linemates. He seemed to take cues from his veteran teammates and didn't try too hard to impress or do too much. I think they call this 'staying within' himself. A good sign imo. My impression is that he's far more intelligent than people tend to assume. My 'expectation' is that he works hard and plays intelligent hockey - if he does that, he can ignore people's expectations, because he'll be successful.

I'd be very happy if he gets to 20 pts. I agree with most on here that think he'll bounce around the lineup. Knowing AV, I just can't see him sticking in the top 6 for long. I think 10-15 is on target.

I also agree with those who say it's more important to see him develop his whole game and gain consistency.

Since everyone likes to compare him to Lucic, last time Lucic played only 50 games he had 9G 11A.

Anywhere between 15 - 20 points with a physical edge to his game will make me happy. I have so much faith in this kid and want to see him develop properly. I just want to see people stop soiling themselves everytime they think of Hodgson.

Also, let us not forget that this kid has NOT played a full season. He's only played half the games. To expect immediate production is pretty ridiculous.

Lucic only put up 68 pts in his first 146 GP getting the opportunity to play with top 9 guys.

Kassian only put up 10 pt in his first 44 GP...mind you he was on the 4th line for last dozen games or so.

So there you have it...if Kassian starts in the top 6, you're going to see an increase in production not some 4th line goon.

• 3 weeks later...

Completely agree. All of this chatter about Kassian being slotted with the Sedin's is nuts. I typically agree with a lot of what Tony Gallagher has to say, but that idea is just dumb. Burrows with the Sedin's works; his energy brings out the best in the twins.

Maybe try out Kassian on the PP with the twins, but not as a full-time thing.

Guest Gumballthechewy

AV doesn't

want him to get too many so he won't play him as much as he has. Doesn't make sense but either does AV. The Canucks weak link is AV, the coach that doesn't coach.

Archived