The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scott Gomez done in Montreal

qwijibo

This is so stupid. I understand why Montreal is doing it but you would think they could have made the rule so that you had from now untill the end of summer to do the buy outs. This is one thing the PA should have fought harder for, now one union brother doesn't even get a shot at making his team.

He does count on the 23 man roster, the Habs can't waive him he have a clause in his contract. Even if they could send him to the Bulldogs and nobody claim him through the waiver, he would go to Hamilton, if a player don't report to his team the team can suspend the player without paying him. Do you know anyone who would say "No I'm not going to Hamilton I don't want my 3m$ for the end of the season."

Redden and Avery did played in the AHL when nobody wanted them anymore to get their money, why Gomez would be different?

Stay home do not receive your money, go to Hamilton for about 3 month get paid 3m$, what would you do?

He was a solid player for the Rangers too, only incredibly overpaid. If his contract was in the 4-million range, he may never have been traded. Even when he first started with the Habs, he wasn't that bad.

I think it's a case of a player with a huge contract resting on his laurels. Every year of not training/trying as hard as everyone else, he gets a bit worse. After a number of years, the cumulative effect makes him practically useless.

Gomez isn't that old though. Won't be surprised if he uses this as motivation to train like a beast for 8 months, and come back strong. Could be a solid moneyball signing to whoever gives him a shot.

Interesting proposal to change the CBA slightly after NYR, NHL and NHLPA discussing Redden's situation, they may allow a buyout to be used early rather than sit a player. The cap hit they would have occurred (either in the NHL or AHL/Europe) until the summer buyout period will still apply.

Larry Brooks @NYP_Brooksie

NYR, NHL, NHLPA believed discussing scenario under which NYR could exercise compliant buyout on Redden now while retaining AHL cap hit.

NYR would retain cap hit of 5.6m even if Redden signs with NHL team. It's a possibility.

Appears as if agreement reached as suggested here earlier.Compliance buyout can be used now on Redden with NYR taking 5.6M cap hit (1/2)...

2/2..NYR would take cap hit even if Redden signs with another team as UFA. This option will be available to all clubs (Mont/Gomez).

Archived