Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Scott Gomez done in Montreal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

#61 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,154 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

If he gets bought out before Saturday, how does a $1.2 million deal for Gomez sound? I wouldn't mind him at the right price.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#62 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,862 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

I don't want him. With two of our top six forwards out this is the best shot our more talented prospects will get in a while.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#63 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,125 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Let's Sign all the defunct reclamation projects!!! One of them has to work out!
Posted Image

#64 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,202 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

If he gets bought out before Saturday, how does a $1.2 million deal for Gomez sound? I wouldn't mind him at the right price.

I hadn't had any reason to watch his play since he'd been so poor considering his contract the last while, but I went and looked at his underlying stats to see if I could pick anything out without watching hours of game play. He does have decent Corsi numbers, even if he didn't face the toughest competition, and the team had good shot totals when he was on the ice versus off it. The only problem was the team scored less than they got scored on when he was on the ice versus off as well.

That suggests he's a good possession forward, but no one is producing despite chances against middle of the road competition. Certainly Gomez wasn't giving any indication he was going to score, but perhaps with the right linemates, he'd see some success with assists.

Cam Charron over at Canucks Army put it this way:

Gomez is a solid puck-possession centreman who can’t shoot. He makes up for his goal-scoring ineptitude by being a relatively good playmaker. Unfortunately, in the last two seasons, the Habs have shot just 4.7% and 6.6% at even strength with Gomez on the ice, far below NHL expectation. As a result, a player who put up 50 points in each of the three years at the start of his new contract (for a strong defensive centreman, 50 points is pretty good) saw his totals dwindle to 38, and, an awful low, 11, over the last two seasons, the 11 last season coming in a campaign when Gomez could play just 38 games.

He might be the most useful guy out there if we get him at a minimal contract (not league minimum or anything, someone else will offer more, but ~$1M or so). If it gets to be any more, it becomes more risk as his cap hit starts to affect us even in the AHL, but it could be an option.

It'll be interesting to see once the buyout starts and he's put on waivers to clear his contract what teams will do.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#65 ramirez_inc

ramirez_inc

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

I was thinking something like this as well. Guy has put up decent numbers up until last year (not 7 million/year numbers but decent) and may still have a bit left in the tank.

Worst case scenario, He is an experienced warm body to hold a spot until kesler returns, Has Cup experience, can mentor the younger guys.

Best case, He comes in for less than 1.5/1 year because hes still getting paid by the habs and has something to prove, lighting a fire under his behind. If hes producing, Move him to the wing upon Kes returning. If not, Send him down, He can mentor those kids. end of story.

With Booth out for a few weeks, There is room for him to atleast try.

Posted Image

In the industry, we call them "cigarette burns."

#66 Systemaddict

Systemaddict

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Worst case scenario, He is an experienced warm body to hold a spot until kesler returns, Has Cup experience, can mentor the younger guys.

Isn't Gomez notoriously lazy and conceited? I remember hearing lots about him having a big head and not working terribly hard. I obviously don't know for sure - but if you buy into the 'where there's smoke, there's fire" notion - then there's no reason to think he'd help our young guys in any way but negatively.

For 1 Million - he may be worth the risk, especially with our injuries, but then again maybe taking a chance on a prospect is worth more.

#67 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,250 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Lapierre given a chance on the 2nd line > signing Scott Gomez.

#68 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,804 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

We need a 2nd line centre, can he sub in for Kesler?

#69 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

State Alchemist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Did not see this move coming.

#sarcasm
Posted Image

#70 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 80,697 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

@RenLavoieRDS
Alain Vigneault was at l'Antichambre show tonight on RDS. When asked about Scott Gomez being UFA, he said Canucks won't try to sign him.

307mg00.jpg

#71 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,804 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

@RenLavoieRDS
Alain Vigneault was at l'Antichambre show tonight on RDS. When asked about Scott Gomez being UFA, he said Canucks won't try to sign him.

Did he say why not?

#72 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,250 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Did he say why not?

Does he have to?

Gomez worst plus/minus on the team in 2010-2011 and 7 goals in 80 games.
2011-2012 - 2 goals/9 assists in 38 games and -9, 4th worst despite not having too much responsibility.
2012-2013 gets bought out of a big contract on a team with Plekanec, Eller, Prust and Desharnais as Cs.

If Gomez had shown willingness to turn into a 2-way player a team would maybe take a chance on him now, hoping he can regain some of his playmaking form. But it's too big of a risk to have him on the ice, so a good team is likely not to pick him up unless they have a TON of injuries.

#73 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,922 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

According to the Fourth Period:

The Montreal Canadiens will buy out the contract of veteran center Scott Gomez, after receiving permission from the NHL to do so.

The Habs plan on starting the process later today, which first begins with placing Gomez on waivers tomorrow. Once he clears, Gomez will become an unrestricted free agent.

A second source told TFP as many as five teams have already expressed preliminary interest in Gomez, all in the Western Conference.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#74 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,016 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

Honestly, I don't mind the thought of a Booth-Kesler-Gomez line. Not for 7.4 or whatever he gets, but for 1.2 as someone suggested up thread ... yeah. And he'd serve as an experienced centre while we attempt to weather the injury storm.

#75 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

If it was up to me I'd give him under 1 mill and garantee him a job for this year plus next is up to the team if we want to resign him.He has skills just Montreal was small and to much pressure on there top two lines.he played here there would be pressure but not as much as he had.
Posted Image

#76 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,497 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

Forget about that smurf.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#77 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,202 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Isn't Gomez notoriously lazy and conceited? I remember hearing lots about him having a big head and not working terribly hard. I obviously don't know for sure - but if you buy into the 'where there's smoke, there's fire" notion - then there's no reason to think he'd help our young guys in any way but negatively.

For 1 Million - he may be worth the risk, especially with our injuries, but then again maybe taking a chance on a prospect is worth more.

I don't know him personally, but what I have heard from all the recent talk is that even though he's not getting it done on the ice, he's an excellent guy in the locker room and very helpful to younger players. Sounds like Gomez is being pretty humble since he's not contributing but making huge money and trying to do anything he can to help out the team.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#78 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,125 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Pffff I think Montreal just bought him out so that they can resign him to a new even bigger contract thanking him for all of his production last season!!!
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.