The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jamie Benn not at Stars camp

Cromeslab

Restricted free agent Jamie Benn was not at training camp for the Dallas Stars on Sunday and a deal does not appear to be close at this point.

"I'm optimistic that we'll have him back on the team, but it won't be today," Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk told TSN (and ESPN.com) on Sunday. "We'll focus on the guys we have here, because it's a short camp and we need to get ready. But in the meantime, certainly we'll keep working away at trying to get Jamie re-signed."

The 23-year-old played in 71 games with the Stars last season, recording 26 goals and 37 assists.

In three seasons in Dallas, Benn has 160 points in 222 games.

Take it for what it's worth people,man would it be nice to get him somehow

I don't think you can trade for a guy that isn't under contract. Dallas don't have a contract with him, hence he is not at training camp. Dallas will sign him if at all possible. If not , we could sign him and pay Dallas a host of draft picks depending on how much we pay. I think that is how it works. Would be nice to get him, but not realistic much.

I don't think you can trade for a guy that isn't under contract. Dallas don't have a contract with him, hence he is not at training camp. Dallas will sign him if at all possible. If not , we could sign him and pay Dallas a host of draft picks depending on how much we pay. I think that is how it works. Would be nice to get him, but not realistic much.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Actually, it does. He can refuse to sign - see:Kyle Turris - and ask for a trade if he wants and not necessarily publicly.

At some point he could've also held discussions with other teams, if there was anyone interested in an offersheet. So he might know of a GM who has a lot to offer him, both money and playtime wise.

Restricted free agent Jamie Benn was not at training camp for the Dallas Stars on Sunday and a deal does not appear to be close at this point.

"I'm optimistic that we'll have him back on the team, but it won't be today," Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk told TSN (and ESPN.com) on Sunday. "We'll focus on the guys we have here, because it's a short camp and we need to get ready. But in the meantime, certainly we'll keep working away at trying to get Jamie re-signed."

The 23-year-old played in 71 games with the Stars last season, recording 26 goals and 37 assists.

In three seasons in Dallas, Benn has 160 points in 222 games.

Take it for what it's worth people,man would it be nice to get him somehow

Archived