The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jamie Benn not at Stars camp

Cromeslab

I saw both Kypreos and Bob Mckenzie's tweets today and they were both pretty accurate. Jamie would accept $5.5M/yr in a heart beat. A year ago, he would have jumped at $4M per year, 5.5 is just silly money for a kid from Victoria.

But like any Canadian hockey player, he wants to win and Dallas has been anything but stable since they last won the cup, from both an on ice product and ownership perspective....they're not stable. Who knows if Dallas will even have an NHL team in 5/6 years and that's the kind of contract Dallas wants. Jamie will be a UFA in 5 years and if you were in his position, why would you sacrifice anything beyond that?

It's true that he isn't big on playing for a market like Vancouver (which is weird considering he seems to have a pretty damn good time being a local celebrity on the island..), but he wants to play for a winner and that's why contract term is holding things up.

I could see the assets that Vancouver could get in a Luongo trade being flipped for Benn.

Essentially a three-way trade so that Dallas gets what they want.

I don't see Luongo going to Dallas though. Lehtonen is too good, and he just re-signed there.

what people in this thread dont seem to get is that IF benn were available there would be a crazy amount of teams interested. in other words it would take a huge overpayment ( i.e. an offer that dallas cannot turn down ) to even their attention. lets look at the names being thrown out in this thread:

Kesler: was a 40 goal, selke winner two years ago. however an off season last year coupled with the fact that he is starting to become a very injury proned player has seriously lowered his value. add in that he wont be able to start the season on time and dallas is telling you, that they want more.

Edler: after another good season seeing edler put up 40+ points it would seem that edlers stock is on the rise. however his back issues over that last few years may have dallas worried that he'll be a severly injury proned player. add in that hes a pending UFA and edlers stock is nowhere near his actual value. dallas will tell you they want more.

i guess my point is that if vancouver is serious about getting benn then they need to throw an offer out there that will be tough to beat.

my offer would be: kesler + edler + schoerder + raymond

i know thats a lot for canucks fans to accept but that is what i truly think its going to take. when you think about it that is one offer that is both hard to ignore if your dallas and hard to beat if your another interested team

Archived