137 replies to this topic

#121 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Isn't their goalie Kari Lehtonen? I'm not saying they should trade for Luongo, but you saying he is on the same level as Lehtonen is kind of laughable, no?

I said Luongo is slightly better, saying that isn't laughable I don't think.

Last year Kari had a better SVP and GAA playing on a much worse team.

True that Luongo is more proven, but Kari Lehtonen is pretty dang good, as well as 4 years younger.

#122 VIC_CITY

VIC_CITY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

I saw both Kypreos and Bob Mckenzie's tweets today and they were both pretty accurate. Jamie would accept $5.5M/yr in a heart beat. A year ago, he would have jumped at $4M per year, 5.5 is just silly money for a kid from Victoria.
But like any Canadian hockey player, he wants to win and Dallas has been anything but stable since they last won the cup, from both an on ice product and ownership perspective....they're not stable. Who knows if Dallas will even have an NHL team in 5/6 years and that's the kind of contract Dallas wants. Jamie will be a UFA in 5 years and if you were in his position, why would you sacrifice anything beyond that?
It's true that he isn't big on playing for a market like Vancouver (which is weird considering he seems to have a pretty damn good time being a local celebrity on the island..), but he wants to play for a winner and that's why contract term is holding things up.

#123 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

I'd say bite the bullet and try to offer sheet him

#124 VIC_CITY

VIC_CITY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

And there's no way in hell Luongo goes to Dallas unless it's part of a 3-way trade.

I don't doubt that MG has had discussions about Benn and most likely offered up Edler ++, but Dallas doesn`t trade for Lu without a 3rd team involved.

#125 VIC_CITY

VIC_CITY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

I disagree. Our prospect pool is pathetic enough as it is, we can`t afford to lose all those draft picks.

Edler is a UFA this summer and there`s a 50% chance we lose him for nothing. If we can`t work a trade for Benn with Edler as the center piece then I`d pass. The UFA pool will be solid this summer.

#126 qwijibo

qwijibo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Vancoiuver has $1.7m in cap space left this year, I doubt Benn will sign for that lol

#127 JoshuaGuy

JoshuaGuy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Vancoiuver has $1.7m in cap space left this year, I doubt Benn will sign for that lol

Are you accounting for the ~9 million in LTIR from Kesler and Booth?
Posted Image

#128 qwijibo

qwijibo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Are you accounting for the ~9 million in LTIR from Kesler and Booth?

That's assuming both are out for the whole season. It's a risky proposition to assume you're going to get enough cap refief from LTIR to cover what willlikely be a $5.5+ cap hit for Benn. What if Kesler is back in 2 weeks? What if Booth is back in 3 instead of 6 or longer. Just to much uncertainty. Clearly if Vancouver wanted to clear the cap space to make an offer sheet they could do it by shipping out a few contracts. But as it stands now they don't have the cap space and, in my opinion, can't rely on LTIR cap relief to safely make an offer.

#129 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,184 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

It's always been reported that Jamie Benn didn't want to play in Canada (Link) , but this Van media reporter says otherwise --

Gary Mason@garymasonglobe

@rayferrarotsn @CaribooStew Benn would love to play for the Canucks tho. I do know that.

Wonder if he's full of #$% or if he actually knows Benn would play for Canucks?

#130 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,728 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

I could see the assets that Vancouver could get in a Luongo trade being flipped for Benn.

Essentially a three-way trade so that Dallas gets what they want.

I don't see Luongo going to Dallas though. Lehtonen is too good, and he just re-signed there.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#131 shiznak

shiznak

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

To Toronto: Luongo and Larsen
To Dallas: Bozak, Raymond, Ballard, Toronto's and Vancouver's 1st round picks.
To Van: Benn and Franson

3blms.png

#132 VIC_CITY

VIC_CITY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Too good to be true. Think of all that free cap space we would have if MG managed to pull that off! Vancouver wins this trade hands down. I don't this Dallas would accept, especially after they just signed 2 40 yr old top-6 players. Their 'window' with this roster is probably 2 years and nothing they get in this deal will help them short term. I wouldn't be surprised if TO turned that deal down either. BUT...if you swap the 1st rd pick with Jensen, that may change...

Lu, Jensen, Ballard, Raymond going out, with Benn and Franson coming back. That seems more even to me.

#133 Canouver

Canouver

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Z

#134 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

http://www.dallasnew...-as-a-youth.ece

apparently growing up his favorite team was the Vancouver Canucks, but now, he hates the Canucks because they are too good for him. lol

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#135 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

http://www.dallasnew...-as-a-youth.ece

apparently growing up his favorite team was the Vancouver Canucks, but now, he hates the Canucks because they are too good for him. lol

Where does it say the Canucks are too good for him?
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#136 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

what people in this thread dont seem to get is that IF benn were available there would be a crazy amount of teams interested. in other words it would take a huge overpayment ( i.e. an offer that dallas cannot turn down ) to even their attention. lets look at the names being thrown out in this thread:

Kesler: was a 40 goal, selke winner two years ago. however an off season last year coupled with the fact that he is starting to become a very injury proned player has seriously lowered his value. add in that he wont be able to start the season on time and dallas is telling you, that they want more.

Edler: after another good season seeing edler put up 40+ points it would seem that edlers stock is on the rise. however his back issues over that last few years may have dallas worried that he'll be a severly injury proned player. add in that hes a pending UFA and edlers stock is nowhere near his actual value. dallas will tell you they want more.

i guess my point is that if vancouver is serious about getting benn then they need to throw an offer out there that will be tough to beat.

my offer would be: kesler + edler + schoerder + raymond

i know thats a lot for canucks fans to accept but that is what i truly think its going to take. when you think about it that is one offer that is both hard to ignore if your dallas and hard to beat if your another interested team

Jeez let's just throw our whole team at them. Kesler is only 28 and just as likely to come back as good as ever. Raymond is playing well but not scoring .........so far. Who is??? Edler has looked like a top 5 D and we have yet to see what Schroeder can do.

Your deal has "MG sacked and driven out of town" all over it, while Dallas goes on to lift the SC.
Kevin.jpg

#137 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

u don't want a player who doesn't show up to camp... fo

#138 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Where does it say the Canucks are too good for him?

And what is he supposed to say? That he still loves the Canucks? It's an interview for a Dallas audience

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.