The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) Canucks sign Cam Barker, 1 yr - $700 K

vancanfan

The Oilers and Wild fans that say Barker sucked, only say that cause they had high expectations of him. People see that he's a former 3rd overall pick right away and so they ovverrate him.

Plus those teams D were so bad, they expected him to be a top 4 defenseman, which he's not.

As a 7th or 8th D-man, he's a solid addition. He basically brings what Rome brought as far as grit, but he can move the puck a whole lot better. Still, don't expect him to be some sort of star player, cause he's not.

Very cheap pick-up and at 26 he could hit his prime soon. He won't have a breakout season playing behind our great top-4, but with a condensed season injuries are likely and this guy could easily jump up. I like our 4 pairings going into the season now:

Edler - Garrison (1A)

Bieksa - Hamhuis (1B)

Barker - Ballard

Tanev - Alberts

Joslin

Now we can sustain 2 injures to our top-6 and still have NHL-caliber defencemen playing. Depth is essential and MG did a miraculous job of shoring up our defence cheaply. Now onto that center role...

Interesting, and I'm only pointing this out because of how badly our scouting used to get trashed, if you look at Cam Barker's draft year (2004), you'll see that the player we picked up in 26th is now probably number 3 in terms of value (definitely top 5).

Barker had one decent offensive season in Chicago (08/09), but other then that he's performance has been disappointing. If Barker couldn't make the defensive units for Minnesota and Edmonton, two teams who needed defensemen badly, why would you think he'll do anything in Vancouver? I know we all get excited for a reclaimation project and if Barker did work out then he'd be a steal. The Canucks have too many defensive that would be ahead of Barker on the depth chart - Edler, Bieska, Hamhuis, Garrison, Alberts, Ballard, and Tanev. Best case scenario (realisically) is that Barker makes the team as the 7th defenseman.

Barker had one decent offensive season in Chicago (08/09), but other then that he's performance has been disappointing. If Barker couldn't make the defensive units for Minnesota and Edmonton, two teams who needed defensemen badly, why would you think he'll do anything in Vancouver? I know we all get excited for a reclaimation project and if Barker did work out then he'd be a steal. The Canucks have too many defensive that would be ahead of Barker on the depth chart - Edler, Bieska, Hamhuis, Garrison, Alberts, Ballard, and Tanev. Best case scenario (realisically) is that Barker makes the team as the 7th defenseman.

I agree, if Barker is a depth defenseman used during injuries or to give players a rest them he'll be ok. I wouldn't expect anything more, even consistently playing on the 3rd unit would not be realistic. Barker has the world of potential and I still remember watching him being drafted. But for whatever reason things haven't worked out for him and I don't think they will.

He has battled a few injuries, came back early last year too. Check out Botch's article;

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/index.html

Again though, we fighting to POSSIBLY get a sniff on the bottom pair. Depth move, I'll take it if he can fill in once in a while. For a pro-rated $700k, cheap insurance.

I'm not going to get too excited about this, as Barker has gone downhill quite a bit from his career season.

However, during that season, he was an absolute BEAST on the PP. He was more efficient on the powerplay than any defenseman in the whole league.

2008-09 - Powerplay TOI per powerplay point:

Cam Barker - 8.0

Nick Lidstrom - 9.3

Mike Green - 9.6

Scott Neidermayer - 10.3

Andrei Markov - 10.3

Dan Boyle - 11.2

There are a lot of question-marks here. Can he recapture even a glimpse of that success? Is he off the bottle? Will he prove to be a player who was simply made to look good by Brian Campbell? Will Jason Garrison be the same?

At 1-year, 700K, there's not much risk, and it's worth taking. If fans want to be worried, pay more attention to Garrison's 6-year, 4.6 million cap hit contract.

Archived