Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

(Signing) Canucks sign Cam Barker, 1 yr - $700 K

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
284 replies to this topic

#151 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Tanev is better than Barker defensively right now. Barker was just released from an AHL team because of his bad defensive plays. Lets see what he will do with his chance here before we put him on regular shifts and send Tanev down.

No. He was actually on a 25 game contract.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#152 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,962 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

I would've liked to see him on a PTO first. A tryout before signing him to a contract but maybe he had other ideas.

I think the PTO secures the right to sign a player for something like a week if I'm not mistaken.

So I think the plan may have been to sign him all along, they just didn't want another team to swoop in and take him, hence the PTO offer.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#153 MikeBossy

MikeBossy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

I have no issue with this signing.And I agree with those who have pointed out that Higgns and Lappy both had similar knocks against them when we acquired them. If Cam sits in the pressbox at 700k a year who cares - if he plays and plays at Rome's level even better. And IF (Big IF) he manages to find his former game again then he becomes a real steal.
14ki2wz.jpg

Thanks to Vintage Canuck for the awesome sig :)

#154 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Woof.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#155 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hope he learned to skate over the lockout
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#156 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

This is a typical aquisition for the Nux of late...

Higgins and Lapierre were in the same boat, but have managed to find a way to contribute. Booth was also trending downwards. (He has this season to prove his worth)

This is likley his last stop in the league for Barker, should he be unable to find a productive role, and at 700,000, its really not much of a gamble, and he could always be a decent addition to the Wolves should he be placed on waivers.

Lapierre was a playoff hero in 2009-10 for the Habs for his role in checking Ovechkin and co. Higgins has always been alright. Booth returned from serious concussion and played well enough for Panthers to keep his top 6 spot on the team. Barker on the other hand, was cut by an AHL affiliate of an NHL team that couldn't make the playoffs for the last few years. There is no comparison.
Posted Image

#157 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

He hopefully can take away some offensive stress from guys like Bieksa and Edler. Eddy and Juice really looked like they ran out of gas last years playoffs and with the additions of Garrison and Barker will take away some the of the pressure and relieve them of a few more minutes to help keep them fresh.

Nice signing.

25gxmpw.png

#158 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

I have no issue with this signing.And I agree with those who have pointed out that Higgns and Lappy both had similar knocks against them when we acquired them. If Cam sits in the pressbox at 700k a year who cares - if he plays and plays at Rome's level even better. And IF (Big IF) he manages to find his former game again then he becomes a real steal.

It's ridiculous how some Canucks fans think that Lappy and Higgins were ready to retire before they came here. Plain misinformation.

Unless he managed to straighten himself out during the lockout, he is useless.

We signed Peter Schaefer instead of Morrison based on a good pre-season. We released him a month into last season....
Posted Image

#159 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Good depth signing. Given our luck with injuries on the back end, this is a bit comforting. Rome replacement perhaps?

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#160 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Lapierre was a playoff hero in 2009-10 for the Habs for his role in checking Ovechkin and co. Higgins has always been alright. Booth returned from serious concussion and played well enough for Panthers to keep his top 6 spot on the team. Barker on the other hand, was cut by an AHL affiliate of an NHL team that couldn't make the playoffs for the last few years. There is no comparison.

The comparison I made was not the players i mentioned specifically...

I said "This is a typical aquisition for the Nux of late..." Meaning that Vancouver picks up players that they feel could have more value than what they aquire them for.... And in Lapierre, Higgins, and Booths cases, its very much the same scenario.

#161 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Why does everyone keep saying this? He wasn't cut, he had a 25 game CONTRACT.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#162 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Why does everyone keep saying this? He wasn't cut, he had a 25 game CONTRACT.

Alright I stand corrected..
Posted Image

#163 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Barker had been a high scoring d-man at every level untill the age of 22... it just vanished... ive heard that there have been substance abuse issues, which could have been the main issue... but when offensive talent like that just dissapears, you have to wonder if it can be found again?

It's possible Nux management feel that theres something still there, and theyre going to give him likley his last shot at salvaging his carreer.

Higgins had bounced around, and was definatley trending downwards, as was Lapierre.... When we aquired them, they were pegged as 4th liners... perhaps u dont remember that, but its true.

#164 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

@BruceMcCurdy
Cam Barker came highly recommended by #Canucks head scout Helen Keller.

Hahahaha c'mon cam, prove em wrong

#165 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Higgins had bounced around, and was definatley trending downwards, as was Lapierre.... When we aquired them, they were pegged as 4th liners... perhaps u dont remember that, but its true.

Not true. Higgins was bounced around a bit but his career was never in jeopardy. Lapierre, as I said before, was a playoff hero for the Habs in 2009 - 10 when they beat Washington with Ovechkin at the top of his game, who has played two full seasons in the NHL before the year he came here. I can't believe people even try to compare a guy who barely has a contract in the NHL to two guys whose careers were solid before they got traded to us.
Posted Image

#166 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,745 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Higgins career only went down because the Habs, at one point, considered him a potential 1st liner and Captain material. Saku Koivu type production.

Edited by Rey, 13 January 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#167 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Good stuff. You can't really go wrong with a world junior defender from Canda. I've always liked his game. Like pretty much any of our good dmen for Canada he made great plays when it counted. Maybe he's figured out that a career as a second/third liner in the NHL is better than partying it up. All he has to do is play solid D and chip the puck up to our dynamic group of forwards, something he can definitely do. He probably thought he'd be a star in this league but reality is he could turn it into a good situation for everyone. I also really liked what he said about getting pucks through on the net. Something Edler has no understanding of. Cam knows the pressure of a game and when getting the puck through is a neccesity. Hopefully he can find his game here in Van.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#168 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Pahlsson looked more enthusiastic in joining the canucks then Barker, or is that how he always looks?

Can't wait to see him hit the ice
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#169 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Not true. Higgins was bounced around a bit but his career was never in jeopardy. Lapierre, as I said before, was a playoff hero for the Habs in 2009 - 10 when they beat Washington with Ovechkin at the top of his game, who has played two full seasons in the NHL before the year he came here. I can't believe people even try to compare a guy who barely has a contract in the NHL to two guys whose careers were solid before they got traded to us.

Well Lapierre had a huge downfall in 10-11 before coming to the Nucks. Sure, he had a great season before that but after having a horrible start to the season/getting traded to the ducks, there were a ton of questions regarding his hockey career. He even mentioned it.

Chris Higgins was a first liner for Florida before coming to Vancouver, but didn't have first line numbers.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#170 Dustin77

Dustin77

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Pahlsson looked more enthusiastic in joining the canucks then Barker, or is that how he always looks?

Can't wait to see him hit the ice

Maybe he has a hangover, after all it was Saturday night yesterday.....

Seriously Im excited to see him play as well. Hopefully he can regain his form with this opportuntiy.
LORD STANLEYS MUG WANTS TO BE IN VANCOUVER BC 2012/13

#171 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I don't think he is as bad as he was in Edmonton last year, but man did he stink it up here. Hopefully he bounces back, or this was a useless signing.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#172 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Imagine if Barker finally reached his potential, MG would be a genius.

#173 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,645 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

2004 Draft List on Canucks:

Cam Barker(3rd Overall)
Cory Schneider(26th Overall)
David Booth(53rd Overall)
Alexander Edler(91st overall)
Jannik Hansen(287th overall)

Hockey Future's view of Barker's talent when he was a prospect for the Blackhawks.

Talent Analysis

Barker epitomizes the old maxim that defensemen take longer to develop than forwards. Where fellow Blackhawks Brent Seabrook, Duncan Keith and even James Wisniewski have developed faster than Barker at this point, the young blue-liner continually shows flashes of the big-time player he can become.
He is big and strong now, and believed to be able to add another ten pounds of muscle before he is fully mature. And his game is at its best when he uses his size. When he does, he easily manhandles NHL players along the boards.

He is also offensively gifted. Few players possess the ability Barker does to penetrate the zone and set up a power play.

Edited by playboi19, 13 January 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#174 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

If he returns to form and Garrison becomes solid on the right side we would have a very similar defence to the 10-11 nucks.

Hamhuis-Bieksa=Hamhuis-Bieksa-more experience together which makes it a better pairing.

Edler-Ehrhoff=Edler-Barker- Similar but Barker is slower yet a little better in his own zone than Ehrhoff.

Ballard-Salo=Ballard-Garrison- Garrison could be more effective than Salo that year (recovering from injuries etc.) And Ballard is miles better than when he started with the canucks.

Plus we have a more experienced Tanev and Alberts as depth.
Sig too big.
-Milan Lucic

#175 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,962 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

^^ No way is Barker beating out Garrison in the top 4.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#176 Pyrene

Pyrene

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Just watched the interview of him and oh man, does he look out of shape or what. Big beer belly with pretty under-trained chests

Edited by Pyrene, 13 January 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#177 unknown33429

unknown33429

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

If he returns to form and Garrison becomes solid on the right side we would have a very similar defence to the 10-11 nucks.

Hamhuis-Bieksa=Hamhuis-Bieksa-more experience together which makes it a better pairing.

Edler-Ehrhoff=Edler-Barker- Similar but Barker is slower yet a little better in his own zone than Ehrhoff.

Ballard-Salo=Ballard-Garrison- Garrison could be more effective than Salo that year (recovering from injuries etc.) And Ballard is miles better than when he started with the canucks.

Plus we have a more experienced Tanev and Alberts as depth.

Lol. Not even close....Ehrhoff was not worse in his own zone than Barker. Ehrhoff is a better D-man in every way, except Barker is a little bigger than him. Barker is a depth guy.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#178 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,214 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

I thought he was pretty tough with size, but after checking his fights on youtube, I am disappointed. Alberts is even better than him.
We should go for the Jimmy V guy instead of Cam Barker.

What?! And you were so high on him in the PTO thread, because he's 6'3", 220. What changed? You actually went and looked at what type of player he is and then decided he didn't fit your tough guy mold?

Winchester is trying out for Calgary, perhaps you should go cheer for them.

I'm not sold on it but for the cost I can't complain. I just knew I didn't want him for anything close to the $2.25M he made last year considering the reviews on why the Oil (and Minny and Chicago before them) dropped him.

He's a lefty, who at least played on the left side in the Spengler Cup, although he could switch sides on the PP. I'm not sure without going to watch some highlights if he's played the right side at all so I'd expect he'll play on the left side in place of Ballard at times or in the event of any injuries.

There is the chance he can pick up some of what he'd brought with Chicago, and we'll use him in specific situations to help with that, so hopefully it does work out. This team has done a lot with zone starts and matchups to get the most out of players. If not, he'll be fine on the Wolves.

Edited by elvis15, 13 January 2013 - 05:25 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#179 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Lol. Not even close....Ehrhoff was not worse in his own zone than Barker. Ehrhoff is a better D-man in every way, except Barker is a little bigger than him. Barker is a depth guy.

Are you kidding me? Ehrhoff was called Errorhoff in San Jose for a reason. In Vancouver he was alright but throughout the season and playoffs he made brutal plays in his own zone. For example, in a game against the Avs, I believe he tried to deke some player right in front of Luongo and the guy just poked it away and scored on Lu.

Also I said only if Barker regains his 40 pt form, if that doesn't happen (which probably won't happen)he is indeed a depth dman
Sig too big.
-Milan Lucic

#180 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

^^ No way is Barker beating out Garrison in the top 4.

Even if he and Edler form chemistry and Barker regains his old 40 point form? That way the Canucks will have three balanced pairings, just like the first three games against the hawks in 10-11.
Sig too big.
-Milan Lucic

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.