284 replies to this topic

#211 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,105 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Wild fans will also tell you how awful their entire defence corps is. Aside from Suter, now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXEKB3Oic3Y

Edited by The Kassassin Train, 13 January 2013 - 07:01 PM.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#212 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,636 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXEKB3Oic3Y

An elite player executing an elite move.

I won't even bother posting Kesler or the Sedins undressing top defenseman, cause everyone has already seen it.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#213 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,717 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

A stint in the AHL is still playing in the AHL, and who knows, if his skills will cause him to revert to another round of AHL-style playing?
Also, if it is quite clear Spurgeon and Scandella will play better than he does, why even both uphold the fact Gilbert is currently the best? He'll be overtaken by the two quite shortly.

Your point is ???? retarded.

Former AHLers on our NHL roster:
Burrows, Kesler, Booth, Higgins, Hansen, Malhotra, Lapierre, Kassian, Raymond, Volpatti, Weise, Ebbett, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, Tanev, Ballard, Barker, Luongo, Schneider

Basically the only current Canucks who didn't play in the AHL at the start of their career was the Sedins (and Alberts, who only played 14 AHL games :lol: )

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#214 proheffanol

proheffanol

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Most likely just for depth, I wouldn't expect him to play much, unless GM MG has a deal that involves Keith Ballard and they want barker to be a replacement who knows :emot-parrot:

#215 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

If he returns to form and Garrison becomes solid on the right side we would have a very similar defence to the 10-11 nucks.

Hamhuis-Bieksa=Hamhuis-Bieksa-more experience together which makes it a better pairing.

Edler-Ehrhoff=Edler-Barker- Similar but Barker is slower yet a little better in his own zone than Ehrhoff.

Ballard-Salo=Ballard-Garrison- Garrison could be more effective than Salo that year (recovering from injuries etc.) And Ballard is miles better than when he started with the canucks.

Plus we have a more experienced Tanev and Alberts as depth.

IMO, you are highly overrating Barker. I see him as a #7 or #8 d-man. Maybe #6 if he plays well.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#216 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Burrows, Kesler, Booth, Higgins, Hansen, Malhotra, Lapierre, Kassian, Raymond, Volpatti, Weise, Ebbett, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, Tanev, Ballard, Barker, Luongo, Schneider

Basically the only current Canucks who didn't play in the AHL at the start of their career was the Sedins (and Alberts, who only played 14 AHL games :lol: )

That settles it! When it comes to our roster, Alberts is the only player who can compare to the Sedins :P

Posted Image

"If a 6-foot-8 guy who can't skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal."

#217 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

IMO, you are highly overrating Barker. I see him as a #7 or #8 d-man. Maybe #6 if he plays well.

Did anyone read the first part :/

I said if he regains his 40 pt form, which I doubt.

The key word is "if"

Edited by LeanBeaf, 13 January 2013 - 07:48 PM.

Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#218 DCR

DCR

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

The thing to remember is that he's not being paid 2.25M to replace Ehrhoff; he's being paid 700K to sit in the press box just in case Andrew Alberts gets injured. Barker was signed as the #8 D, and the only way he's getting past that without serious injuries on the blueline is by playing well.

It's a low risk signing.

(For what it's worth, I put Tanev above both Alberts and Barker because he's a natural right-sider. We may see Ballard rotating out to see if Alberts or Barker can prove themselves just because all three are left-siders.)

#219 MikeBossy

MikeBossy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

It's ridiculous how some Canucks fans think that Lappy and Higgins were ready to retire before they came here. Plain misinformation.

Unless he managed to straighten himself out during the lockout, he is useless.

We signed Peter Schaefer instead of Morrison based on a good pre-season. We released him a month into last season....

Where exactly in my post did I mention anyone retiring? All I said was Lappy and Higgins both had careers in what some would call a downward spiral and coming to Vancouver revived their careers for them. Feel free to read the article here http://sports.nation...maxim-lapierre/ for clarification. The point I was trying to make was we have had other castoffs from other teams come here and have success such as Higgins and Lappy.

Thanks to R.Luongo. for the amazing sig

#220 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

meh just another Rome.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#221 Pyrene

Pyrene

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

You can't even see his chest in that video let alone his 'gut'...

You're kidding, right? So i suppose whatever's protruding out of bottom part of his stomach is just insane obliques?

#222 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

You're kidding, right? So i suppose whatever's protruding out of bottom part of his stomach is just insane obliques?

quite brokeback to be lookin down south sounds like your talking about the top of his hockeypants
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#223 Pyrene

Pyrene

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

quite brokeback to be lookin down south sounds like your talking about the top of his hockeypants

Quite brokeback? I'm merely pointing out how out of shape he looks / probably is.

#224 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Did anyone read the first part :/

I said if he regains his 40 pt form, which I doubt.

The key word is "if"

Whoops, sorry about that.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#225 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

meh just another Rome.

Barker was drafted 3rd overall in 2004 behind Ovechkin and Malkin. He finished only 4 points behind Duncan Keith (mostly because he had less GP due to injury) in 2008-09. 2 World Junior Golds which he had a point a game pace in. He's a good player who's been a barely-functioning alcoholic. To be honest, seeing his first interview, you can tell he's gone through quite a bit and still hasn't fully gotten over it. But then being a part of a team is often massively beneficial to guys like this and I trust that Gillis has seen a desire from Barker to get on with being the player he should have been.

#226 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,562 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

Good signing, low risk, adds depth and he can fill in if there's an injury to the top 6
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#227 whysoserious

whysoserious

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

meh just another Rome.

If he is a Rome, then it means he will be a Norris Calibre player right?
Posted Image

#228 jatylo

jatylo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

I agree with most here, this is a low risk medium reward signing. He has to tools to regain his form and is humbled by getting a second chance.

Only concerns i have about him is:

Is his alcohol issues over. My second cousin had issues with alcohol after he was drafted and only played 3 games in the NHL because of it (He was highly touted with still owning the current record for most points by a defenceman for the Peterborough Petes (109))

Will he try too hard to impress everyone or will he do what the canuck system says and play a depth defender.

We are really close to the contract limit (49 of 50) assuming we get 2 players from the luongo trade, what do we do about our need of a 2nd center (assuming we get prospects instead of a centerman)

#229 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

meh just another Rome.

Why would we not want a replacement for the best player we've ever had on our roster?

Rome was a legend.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#230 bforce

bforce

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

I like it for the price, he has so much more upside, also he's still only 26. If he can get his s*** together it could be a better deal than we could imagine.

I have a feeling that its not Tanev on the books to be traded. Edler still hasnt resigned and there is no guarantee that he won't chase the money. If Errorhoff can get 2+ mil over what we were offering, don't be surprised if Edler doesn't want to cash in also. The cup window is closing and if it means packaging up a top d man and a top goaltender to finally fill some major holes in our lineup at the sacrifice for one D man, I'm all over it.

#231 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

He's going to be in the AHL very very soon. Unless 2 huge injuries hit the team, he's going to play for the Wolves. This looks more like Baumgartner's replacement, as our farm hasn't really looked the same since he retired.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#232 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,282 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

He's going to be in the AHL very very soon. Unless 2 huge injuries hit the team, he's going to play for the Wolves. This looks more like Baumgartner's replacement, as our farm hasn't really looked the same since he retired.

So you think Connauton or Joslin are going to beat him out for the job?
I don't, so he'll be with the team for the whole season.

Subbancopy.jpg

#233 NewSedinTwin

NewSedinTwin

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

I was a huge fan of Barker during the world juniors, but he's basically struggled through his entire NHL career other than his one 40 point season. I hope he does well. I love Mike Gillis for this because 1. it is a very good deal and 2. it was so unexpected. Good Job, and Good Luck Barker!
Post 100: Feb.15.10
Post 200: Mar.20.10

#234 Pyrene

Pyrene

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

I agree with most here, this is a low risk medium reward signing. He has to tools to regain his form and is humbled by getting a second chance.

Only concerns i have about him is:

Is his alcohol issues over. My second cousin had issues with alcohol after he was drafted and only played 3 games in the NHL because of it (He was highly touted with still owning the current record for most points by a defenceman for the Peterborough Petes (109))

Will he try too hard to impress everyone or will he do what the canuck system says and play a depth defender.

We are really close to the contract limit (49 of 50) assuming we get 2 players from the luongo trade, what do we do about our need of a 2nd center (assuming we get prospects instead of a centerman)

Shawn Evans played 9 games in the NHL

#235 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Perfect replacement for Aaron Rome on the bottom pair with Tanev.

They just need him to be steady. AV will probably give him a chance to overtake Ballard and Alberts on the depth chart but it will be hard without pre-season games.

Most likely he will play as a rotational guy when somebody needs a rest with the travel being so compressed.

Edited by Terry Crews, 13 January 2013 - 11:59 PM.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#236 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

Our former AHL players went from the AHL to the NHL as part of their normal development.

Barker went from AHL to NHL, then back to AHL. He is washed up. Which part of that don't Canucks fans get?
Posted Image

#237 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

I don't think we will bother with putting him on waivers. We will just release him like we did with Peter Schaefer. The only way he doesn't get released is if he doesn't play.
Posted Image

#238 Butters Stoch

Butters Stoch

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

I wasn't too happy when I heard we signed Barker but at 700k it's not a bad deal. He'll have a very little pressure on him playing on our stacked defence. As long as he plays some decent defence I'll be satisfied and if we're lucky he might even regain his 40 pt form.

sig by Malkin71

#239 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

I don't think we will bother with putting him on waivers. We will just release him like we did with Peter Schaefer. The only way he doesn't get released is if he doesn't play.

Uh, that is what we did with Schaeffer. We put him on waivers and he refused to report so we then put him on $125 waivers to allow mutually agreed upon termination of his contract.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#240 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

I like this signing. He's a definite upgrade on Rome for sure. So with Garrison to replace Salo, and Barker to replace Rome, it looks like the defense is set. And maybe Corrado or Connauton are ready to play and can compete for a spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.