284 replies to this topic

#241 thecoolstuff

thecoolstuff

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

I predict if he's healthy a 25+ pts campaign is very possible.

#242 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

Oh we're doing predictions already?

Alright, we suffer a rash of defensive injuries in the second half, Barker gets +/- 20 games in, scores two goals and five assists.

#243 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

Oh we're doing predictions already?

Alright, we suffer a rash of defensive injuries in the second half, Barker gets +/- 20 games in, scores two goals and five assists.

He's going to put up Pronger like numbers.

/=S=/

#244 Fozzy

Fozzy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:20 AM

The Oilers and Wild fans that say Barker sucked, only say that cause they had high expectations of him. People see that he's a former 3rd overall pick right away and so they ovverrate him.

Plus those teams D were so bad, they expected him to be a top 4 defenseman, which he's not.

As a 7th or 8th D-man, he's a solid addition. He basically brings what Rome brought as far as grit, but he can move the puck a whole lot better. Still, don't expect him to be some sort of star player, cause he's not.

Exactly right. Oilers fans expected him to come in and transform their team. Let's face it they weren't very good last year and a +- of 0 ain't too bad on that team.

At least they have Justin Schultz this year who apparently according to some fans here will turn them into contenders!

Edited by Fozzy, 14 January 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#245 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,074 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

He's going to put up Pronger like numbers.

Going by this years pace for Pronger, zero games played and zero points. Not bad.

Posted Image

#246 Systemaddict

Systemaddict

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

I predict if he's healthy a 25+ pts campaign is very possible.

This year? With 48 games (if he stays healthy and gets in the lineup for all of them) - I'd be happy with anything approaching 20pts.

#247 smokes

smokes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

One thing about Gillis is that he loves his projects.
It's almost like every year he brings in a new project.

#248 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,735 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

Our former AHL players went from the AHL to the NHL as part of their normal development.

Barker went from AHL to NHL, then back to AHL. He is washed up. Which part of that don't Canucks fans get?

Post was referring to Allkill saying thst because Gilbert played in the AHL 7 years ago, that he's an NHL/AHL tweener and isn't a good defenceman. Nice try though.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#249 nzan

nzan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Interesting, and I'm only pointing this out because of how badly our scouting used to get trashed, if you look at Cam Barker's draft year (2004), you'll see that the player we picked up in 26th is now probably number 3 in terms of value (definitely top 5).

#250 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Very cheap pick-up and at 26 he could hit his prime soon. He won't have a breakout season playing behind our great top-4, but with a condensed season injuries are likely and this guy could easily jump up. I like our 4 pairings going into the season now:

Edler - Garrison (1A)
Bieksa - Hamhuis (1B)
Barker - Ballard
Tanev - Alberts
Joslin

Now we can sustain 2 injures to our top-6 and still have NHL-caliber defencemen playing. Depth is essential and MG did a miraculous job of shoring up our defence cheaply. Now onto that center role...
Posted Image

#251 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

Interesting, and I'm only pointing this out because of how badly our scouting used to get trashed, if you look at Cam Barker's draft year (2004), you'll see that the player we picked up in 26th is now probably number 3 in terms of value (definitely top 5).

schenider better than valabik... your crazy dood.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#252 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Barker had one decent offensive season in Chicago (08/09), but other then that he's performance has been disappointing. If Barker couldn't make the defensive units for Minnesota and Edmonton, two teams who needed defensemen badly, why would you think he'll do anything in Vancouver? I know we all get excited for a reclaimation project and if Barker did work out then he'd be a steal. The Canucks have too many defensive that would be ahead of Barker on the depth chart - Edler, Bieska, Hamhuis, Garrison, Alberts, Ballard, and Tanev. Best case scenario (realisically) is that Barker makes the team as the 7th defenseman.

#253 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Barker had one decent offensive season in Chicago (08/09), but other then that he's performance has been disappointing. If Barker couldn't make the defensive units for Minnesota and Edmonton, two teams who needed defensemen badly, why would you think he'll do anything in Vancouver? I know we all get excited for a reclaimation project and if Barker did work out then he'd be a steal. The Canucks have too many defensive that would be ahead of Barker on the depth chart - Edler, Bieska, Hamhuis, Garrison, Alberts, Ballard, and Tanev. Best case scenario (realisically) is that Barker makes the team as the 7th defenseman.

I think that was the problem. They expected Barker to be an impact player on their defenses, which he isn't. But throw him in a 7th or 8th spot (with the lower expectations that come with it), and I think he will do fine.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#254 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

I think that was the problem. They expected Barker to be an impact player on their defenses, which he isn't. But throw him in a 7th or 8th spot (with the lower expectations that come with it), and I think he will do fine.

I agree, if Barker is a depth defenseman used during injuries or to give players a rest them he'll be ok. I wouldn't expect anything more, even consistently playing on the 3rd unit would not be realistic. Barker has the world of potential and I still remember watching him being drafted. But for whatever reason things haven't worked out for him and I don't think they will.

#255 The-Impersonator

The-Impersonator

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

I like this signing. Is he a right handed or left handed D?

#256 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Thank God Gillis is smarter than any one here.

#257 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

I agree, if Barker is a depth defenseman used during injuries or to give players a rest them he'll be ok. I wouldn't expect anything more, even consistently playing on the 3rd unit would not be realistic. Barker has the world of potential and I still remember watching him being drafted. But for whatever reason things haven't worked out for him and I don't think they will.

He does some things that other depth D on the Canucks haven't done. He likes to shoot (doesn't score often), but he does seems to like getting the puck to the net.

One of the problems he has is the speed issue, but if last year is any indication, the game is slowing down, so that could be to his advantage.

Other than that, I'm not expecting much. People seems to think he can turn it around like Higgins, but I doubt he has Higgins' work ethic, or tenacity.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#258 Your New Coach Mr. Tippett

Your New Coach Mr. Tippett

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

He has battled a few injuries, came back early last year too. Check out Botch's article;

http://www.theprovin...ckey/index.html

Again though, we fighting to POSSIBLY get a sniff on the bottom pair. Depth move, I'll take it if he can fill in once in a while. For a pro-rated $700k, cheap insurance.
My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. Whats really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?

#259 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

I'm not going to get too excited about this, as Barker has gone downhill quite a bit from his career season.

However, during that season, he was an absolute BEAST on the PP. He was more efficient on the powerplay than any defenseman in the whole league.

2008-09 - Powerplay TOI per powerplay point:
Cam Barker - 8.0
Nick Lidstrom - 9.3
Mike Green - 9.6
Scott Neidermayer - 10.3
Andrei Markov - 10.3
Dan Boyle - 11.2

There are a lot of question-marks here. Can he recapture even a glimpse of that success? Is he off the bottle? Will he prove to be a player who was simply made to look good by Brian Campbell? Will Jason Garrison be the same?

At 1-year, 700K, there's not much risk, and it's worth taking. If fans want to be worried, pay more attention to Garrison's 6-year, 4.6 million cap hit contract.
Posted Image

#260 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Not the greatest fighter, but if you look at his fights on Youtube he's almost always jumping in without hesitation to defend a teammate. Always a good quality for any player to have.

#261 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

I've read multiple scouting reports that say he is slow as molasses, lacks defensive awareness, plays with zero intensity, doesn't hit or block shots.

Add to that the fact he coughs up the puck like a poop-flavoured appetizer.

But Gillis always has a soft spot for "problem" players, thinking Vancouver's environment can help turn them around. He struck out with Wellwood, but hit a double with Lapierre. Trouble is, even if Barker gets his life in control, he's just not good enough. Barker's slower than a snail in tar.

#262 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Sharks fans also tried to tell us how awful Ehrhoff was when we traded for him.

That tends to happen after a player leaves a team.

Wait until you see him on the ice before you go and say he's awful.

Actually, very few Sharks fans came up with the stupid "Errorhoff" tag. Almost all were very severely P O d that he was traded, and had a lot of great things to say about him.

BTW, I'm saying he was awful because I watched a lot of Oilers games last year (because of their exciting forwards), and, yes, those fans, many who watched every game, are correct. Barker was awful. And he was awful in Minny, too.

I'm not sweating it, it's a very low risk situational signing. But it's a good idea to assess the player on talent, too. Gillis is hoping management can turn around his career. But unless Barker himself has a complete 180 in attitude and commitment, and he undergoes a rare major leap in speed from a specialized skating course, he'll fill in in a few games, due to injuries, as a #8 or #9 moving up the shortened rankings. As to that depth, I'd rate Alberts and Vandermeer clearly ahead of Barker.

Edited by Barry_Wilkins, 14 January 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#263 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Add to that the fact he coughs up the puck like a poop-flavoured appetizer.

But Gillis always has a soft spot for "problem" players, thinking Vancouver's environment can help turn them around. He struck out with Wellwood, but hit a double with Lapierre. Trouble is, even if Barker gets his life in control, he's just not good enough. Barker's slower than a snail in tar.

The Canucks organization conditions our guys like crazy. We spend way more on consultants and personal training than any other team. If he wants to return to form, this is as good an opportunity as he's gonna get.

#264 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Oilers/Wild fans were disappointed in Barker because they paid him 2.25 and 3mil

We've got him for 700k, much less pressure and reason to be upset if he doesn't pan out

#265 mangosteens

mangosteens

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Report in this article about how Cam Barker played for the Texas Stars during the lockout.

http://thehockeywrit...-stars-edition/

His PTO with Texas lasted just 23 games and was not renewed, for reasons that have eluded many Stars fans. Cam Barker’s critics– and there are many, and they aren’t shy– can stick it. While he was here, Barker was a solid, veteran defenseman who played big minutes in all situations. He beat up last year’s WHL defenseman of the year Alex Petrovic in a pre-season bout, showing a willingness to throw down, and more often than not he led the team in shots on net. While a Star, Barker was a big, mobile, puck-moving defenseman with great hockey sense– exactly the kind of player any organization can use.

Edited by JyrkiBeefLumme, 14 January 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#266 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Barker for norris
Posted Image

#267 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

This.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#268 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Barker for All-Star.
Posted Image

#269 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Wild and Oilers fans were saying how awful Barker was a few years ago when he played for those teams. The blogs are on the internet for you to see.
Posted Image

#270 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Report in this article about how Cam Barker played for the Texas Stars during the lockout.

http://thehockeywrit...-stars-edition/

I'm not surprised Barker performed well for the Texas Stars. There's a reason Chris Bourque, for instance, lead the AHL in scoring last year, but has never cut it in the NHL. The gulf in talent between the two leagues is wide and deep. So perhaps the lead-writing cheerleader in that link should gain some perspective when he tells Barker's detractors to "stick it".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.