The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Antropov not at Practice

Provost

I don't see Winnipeg absorbing cap hit, his contract is only for this year. We would be smart to arrange our lineup so lots of contracts expire this summer. With buyouts and the reduced cap, quality UFAs will be cheap and plentiful.

Centres are a hot commodity. Wpg needs a RW quite badly, I wouldn't be surprised if they would want Hansen as the return instead of Raymond. Moving Hansen gives a roster spot for Zassian on the 3rd line.

Tough call... but it certainly fills one of our holes.

It is a given that Jokinen and Little will be 1st-2nd line centers. I was only intending to list players who could possibly fill the 3rd C role. However, I dream of a day where Little can be shifted back to his natural RW position, as that was where he had his greatest production.

Antropov's goal pace if he had played 82 games the last seasons:

Only one short stint was with a playoff team in the last 4 years. He's not a guy you get for toughness, but he's hard to knock off the puck and can play on any line.

Sedin - Sedin - Antropov on the PP would be interesting while Kesler is out. At 6'6, 246 pounds, what goalie is going to be able to see the puck?

Well I'm ecstatic to have Hansen on our third line, and in no rush to promote him higher.

We cannot take an "engine player," the best on our 3rd line, off and expect it to create the same pressure and defensive intensity.

One of the secrets to the Canucks, an AV signature, is that engine players like Burrows, Kesler and Hansen help drive the team as much as the talent players. We don't want to loose the ones we have in addition to the gaping hole on right wing losing Hansen would create. That would make Kassian then Weiss our top natural RW???

If Antropov could play some right wing with his size and passing, on line 2, after Kess came back that might have some fit. He's not what we want for 3C. But I'm not sold on that. And I'm highly reluctant to send the message that I'm happy paying a floater $4.something mill to be a depth player. Say what you will about Ballard, he flies up and down the ice, blocks shots, fights even though he has a concussion history. He's not a floater and he is still questioned because he plays a depth role for big money.

I love Hansen, but he is seriously over-rated on this board. At his best effort, he is a decent 3rd line winger. I thought he was actually pretty inconsistent with his effort level last year.

Trading Ballard for Antropov, with an expiring contract, who can fill in for Kess makes some sense... Because we have a role for Nic.

As for Provost who has love for Antropov; Ballard is a better player than Antropov. He's just buried behind better talent. Both have the talent to be fringe Top 6 / Top 4; ie will make poor teams in that role but not all top teams. The difference is effort!

I'm not opposed to this. Antropov has RIDICULOUS size and is a lock for 18-20 goals if he stays healthy. I wouldn't trade any major pieces for him though. Maybe a 2nd round pick....maybe. Or Ballard and Raymond :P

Archived