The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Team1040] Gillis on Cam Barker and Luongo; AV on short schedule

Anti-Bettman

I like the Barker signing, if he doesn't work out we can just waive him, but he has far more upside than most plugs we would sign for $700k.

Besides, he can become the new Ballard, and Ballard can be promoted to actually playing. And he certainly can't be worse than Joslin.

My thoughts are that he must of made a good impression with the guys during "lockout" skates.

The players obviously like him.

I say this as he didn't even have to go with the PTO and is now signed.

Great signing for us and we have a depth d-man @ low $$$. Depth at all positions mean a lot.

This isn't a bad move. He still has to make the team. Gillis knows more than any one here.There's lots of people criticizing Gillis on his moves. Maybe the move they should think about is moving out of their parent's house and paying some bills of their own. Might even want to pay your student loans off too.

Than come to the table and criticize Gillis.

It will never fail. Don't sign Barker and watch him go some where else and thrive. Then you have people wondering why Gillis didn't go get this guy for cheep.

Gillis knows what fans think and doesn't care. Thank God!

Really surprised by the lack of exhibition games.. That may not bode well in the long stretch. I hope that no serious injuries occur as the result, but hopefully they've been working hard to get to full fitness in practice, and no injuries will arise.. Let's see if that happens.

Well, isn't Barker another left shot, left side D guy who can skate the puck? At one point in his young career very well... Taking note of skate the puck! Also willing but sort of ordinary at fighting!

That was what we brought in Ballard for; so isn't there some possibility of him creating a chance to move Ballard and his salary.

Barker or Vandermeer aren't replacing Ballard. I doubt there's going to be a trade.

Barker and Vandermeer are challenging for the 8th spot and the loser will go to Chicago and give us some extra depth.

Hopefully he is willing to accept a role?

Higgins, like Malhotra, Torres, now Bernier all had top prospect written all over them, hit bottom and resurrected their careers by accepting roles and competing hard for them.

It's certainly worth the risk, Barker has shown more talent than any of the forwards mentioned above. But in interviews he mentions things like offensive role... He may get that, but my sense is that he has to accept and win a job as a role player before key roles will open up again?

edit; unless he can truly rush the puck??? And of course solve his own demons.

Yeah he can related to them, which I think is great. Guys like Higgins which A.V. mentioned who get bounced around have been great for us when we've been able to find where they stick. It'll be interesting to see if Barker can fix his career at this point.

Archived