136 replies to this topic

#31 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

and yet another slap in the face to the fans.

How? I fail to see any logic here other than people wanting free stuff...sounds like rioters mentality to me.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#32 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

They could have done nothing and it still would have been a sell out. Sure they are sorry to the fans, but realistically, despite all the tough talk about fans not coming back or sticking it to the Canucks... in the end it doesn't matter, the building will still be full every game. They don't even need to offer as little as they are and it would still be enough to get people back by just having hockey back. It's nice of them to do this little, even though they could have gotten away with doing nothing.

They should do as said above and donate a good portion to Canucks place or do something different outside of the game, community time somewhere they don't usually etc. Not that there is a shortage of effort on the organization and players parts already when it comes to this sort of thing.

You make some good points. They don't really have to do anything. They have that luxury because the building sells out.

The building hasn't always been full though. This market has shown that if you win they will show up. If you don't, you will have empty seats. They should take this opportunity to 'pay it forward'.

Their 'offer' is a big fail.

A big charitable donation would do the trick. Especially to Canuck Place which has been hurt quite a bit by the lockout.

#33 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

I agree, discounted food and beverage, pathetic. The club missed the boat on an opportunity to make a meaningful gesture to life long fans of the team. It is not about making up for lost time, because that is not possible. This was a chance for the club to make a true expression of regret and graditude to some of the people who pay their inflated prices and ultimately their salaries.

I would love to hear your idea...something that doesn't cost half a million bucks and everyone would appreciate that no one could leverage for personal profit (*like first come first buy discount tickets..which only end up being scaled a la the Bieksa fundraiser) So lets hear some ideas people, what would you do for the fans that would be a meaningful gesture to life long fans of the team besides free open house all week at practice and scrimmage and then get down to the business of playing hockey?

Hope there are some doozy good examples coming.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#34 WeDreamOfStanley

WeDreamOfStanley

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

More good points made, the canucks are lucky they are a winning team and a wealthy team. If they were in the poorer markets they would never get away with this and wouldn't see any fans show up for these amazing offers.

#35 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

A big charitable donation would do the trick. Especially to Canuck Place which has been hurt quite a bit by the lockout.

This will likely be the very best answer to my post above...lol

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#36 canuck_Pride

canuck_Pride

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I live in PEI, so none of this matters

Go Canucks Go!

Hey I live in PEI to! kinda random

#37 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Canucks fans are everywhere,all over the world.

How about live streaming for free?

How about 100 walk up tickets per game for half price?

How about 25% off certain merchandise and 25% to charities?

How about partial proceeds from certain games(say ,certain divisional games) go to a charity that the fans choose online and at the rink? Flames games proceeds go to burn victims,etc.-be creative and help the community's less fortunate.

This whole affair seems to have been about the very rich whacking it over the rich.The emperor wears no clothes so how about showing a genuine gift to the less fortunate in any attempt at redemption?

#38 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

funny they keep telling us we are the best fans but then when the time come to reward those fans they give you a dollar off a ten dollar hotdog. canadian fans will come back they know this so why give us anything.
i won't be buying any canuck merchandise or wearing the jersey i own and i'm not going to any games at least for this season . however i will watch every game on tv and and can't wait for the puck to drop.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#39 worldist

worldist

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

I aint going to any games this year and few years or maybe never... they fork too much $$$ I will go to game if i get free tickets! :)

#40 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

A percentage of each ticket sold go to Canucks Place.
"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#41 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

funny they keep telling us we are the best fans but then when the time come to reward those fans they give you a dollar off a ten dollar hotdog.

Exactly, this franchise panders to it's fans more than any other, then do nothing but raise already rediculous prices when they make boat loads of money anyways.

Just a slap in the face, this isn't even about the fans, I think it should be donations to charity, or they should have done what Jeff Vinik did with his employees for the christmas time, they owe the fans a bit too, but the real people they owe are the community people & charities who's well being was affected by this embarrassment of a labor negotiation.

Still excited for puck drop, still a life long die hard fan, still not giving any of my money though.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 13 January 2013 - 08:10 PM.

zackass.png

#42 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,383 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

How? I fail to see any logic here other than people wanting free stuff...sounds like rioters mentality to me.

I don't see anyone wanting things for free, what most want is a show of good faith from the owners. Considering what other teams have offered so far, the Canucks missed the boat. Discounting already crap food sure isn't the answer.

I would love to hear your idea...something that doesn't cost half a million bucks and everyone would appreciate that no one could leverage for personal profit (*like first come first buy discount tickets..which only end up being scaled a la the Bieksa fundraiser) So lets hear some ideas people, what would you do for the fans that would be a meaningful gesture to life long fans of the team besides free open house all week at practice and scrimmage and then get down to the business of playing hockey?

Hope there are some doozy good examples coming.

How about they donate the majority of the teams profits this year to a charity that the fans choose through a vote.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 13 January 2013 - 08:18 PM.

#43 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

bunch of emo kids in this thread.

#44 Lillooet_Hillbilly

Lillooet_Hillbilly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

better then a stick in the box i guess

#45 the grinder

the grinder

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

diccounted food ?? thought that why you hit costco first for the 2 dollar hotdog and pop

#46 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

I don't see anyone wanting things for free, what most want is a show of good faith from the owners. Considering what other teams have offered so far, the Canucks missed the boat. Discounting already crap food sure isn't the answer.

How about they donate the majority of the teams profits this year to a charity that the fans choose through a vote.

the majority of the teams profits? i like the charity idea...but lets get back to sniffing the ashphalt ..your in orbit here. The Canucks did not break any laws, or cause mass polution or heck, even riot and burn cars...what is it that the Vancouver Canucks did that they should fork over 20 million dollars for? (*assumming its like 20m, i have no idea) Your ridiculous.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#47 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

I hereby cast my vote for the Nuckin_Futz Foundation. The foundation exists to provide a certain individual with a lifestyle of travel, beer consumption and general revelry.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 13 January 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#48 BCRenegade

BCRenegade

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

It's pathetic, really. The Canucks had a real opportunity to display some community leadership with this. Discounts on food that people shouldn't be eating anyway, at all, and discounts on merchandise - effective walking Canuck advertisements - is what they're offering?

Honestly, I would've been happy with a sincere apology from Mr. Aquilini, a la Ron Burkle, but I guess Francesco doesn't feel a need to apologize to his patrons over this. Really a shame. Makes the organization look very Mickey Mouse.

Go home Troll!!!!!!

Sig too big. 

#49 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

...and yet, a franchise that's giving 1M to its community (the LA Kings) are seen as the head of the class.

This isn't rioter's mentality; I could care less about the free stuff if there were games (the $120/ticket turns me off already). It's the attitude that forgiveness and community development happens through cheap hotdogs and pops. Beneficial for the 19000 in attendance, apathetic for the hundreds of thousands that tune in to the radio and TV.

#50 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

diccounted food ?? thought that why you hit costco first for the 2 dollar hotdog and pop

This brings up an interesting thought. By "thanking the fans" with cheap food deals and encouraging people to eat at the rink, that will hurt restaurants in the area that do not need more lost business. I'm sure people will still go to restaurants in the area, but people before that would think that they won't eat at the stadium because it's too expensive may now go for the cheaper option especially with the costs of tickets in the first place. If I owned a food business in the area, I may not be too happy about this.
VanWhitecapsFC YouTube Page

Also mycanucksdotca on YouTube

#51 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,383 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

the majority of the teams profits? i like the charity idea...but lets get back to sniffing the ashphalt ..your in orbit here. The Canucks did not break any laws, or cause mass polution or heck, even riot and burn cars...what is it that the Vancouver Canucks did that they should fork over 20 million dollars for? (*assumming its like 20m, i have no idea) Your ridiculous.

20 million is pocket change and a pretty decent tax write off as far as Aqiuilini is concerned. The season could have easily been a complete write off with absolutely no profit anyways.

I see you seem to figure the teams owes the fans nothing though. I guess fans should just roll over and accept higher ticket and concession prices year after year.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 13 January 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#52 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,823 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

This brings up an interesting thought. By "thanking the fans" with cheap food deals and encouraging people to eat at the rink, that will hurt restaurants in the area that do not need more lost business. I'm sure people will still go to restaurants in the area, but people before that would think that they won't eat at the stadium because it's too expensive may now go for the cheaper option especially with the costs of tickets in the first place. If I owned a food business in the area, I may not be too happy about this.

it's short term anyway. but the restaurants would rather have the season back than not. big diff in crowds on game days. i doubt any of them are complaining.
Posted Image

#53 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

I fully expected a lockout was gonna happen half way through the first round last year. Honestly, I don't care about the owners or Bettman. I just hope they reviewed their officiating and disciplinary staff. After everything they players went through last year, they didn't deserve to get shafted by the lockout like they did.

I'm just hoping my favorite sport is fixed... and by "fixed", I don't mean the NHL's standards of "fixed"...
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#54 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

if we were Florida i would be upset this is Vancouver they don't have to do anything and the fans will come back. in a couple months when we are in the playoffs no one will remember the lockout.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#55 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

it's short term anyway. but the restaurants would rather have the season back than not. big diff in crowds on game days. i doubt any of them are complaining.

Ah you're right, I forgot that it's only for the first 3 games.
VanWhitecapsFC YouTube Page

Also mycanucksdotca on YouTube

#56 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

hopefully they have lines that will take cash only.. then in and out easy. don't want ppl using debit and credit card and taking forever...

#57 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

I don't care. 50% off a jersey? Hell yeah!

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#58 panelguy

panelguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Very weak and they will still make money on cheap food and jerseys.
They should offer NHL Centre Ice for free , that covers fans who don't get to games live.
Come on Canucks/NHL after all you locked them out!

#59 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Discount tickets would he a mess.

Pens are doing the discount for merchandise for the entire season.
The Kings however have done the best thing that I have heard of yet, by donating $1 Million to the community.

As for discounted food, have fun wasting even more time in line.

Well if that the case Vancouver already donates much more than that to communities around the province.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#60 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

The Vancouver Canuck's:

Treat their players like gold, their fans like sh*t.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.