The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

if a cashier gave you extra change without relizing it and you knew it, would you keep it or give it back

would you pocket extra change given in error by cashier?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I rarely pay in cash and when I do it's usually small purchases so I probably wouldn't notice. I'd like to say I would return it but to be honest, the larger the amount the more tempted I'd be to keep it.

On the flip side I've also had cash handling experience in previous jobs and I can honestly say that I've never gotten mad or even slightly irritated at customers for not giving back extra change. Yea I got in trouble but it was my fault, not theirs. I mean hey, some sucker handed them extra cash, it wasn't cheated or stolen, why not keep it?

But I know most people will disagree, or at least pretend to.

I never count my change, but I think the majority will agree, that the guilt that you face by taking a hard working persons money is not worth it. Also add the fact that Cashier's don't make a lot of money. It's too difficult to be able to walk away, knowing that your received more than you should have. That being said, If I'm in a public place and see 5 bucks on the ground and there's no sign of who it is, I don't see how there's a reason not to pick it up because the person that lost it, won't know for a while, and by the time the person finds out that he/she lost 5 dollars, if not me, someone else would pick it up.

This thread reminds me of an altercation I had once at a Shoppers Drug Mart downtown. I bought aftershave or something and the bill was $4.45. I had a five out and said "hold on, I don't want more change, I'll take a loonie". Threw two quarters in so I would get a loonie back.

Now, get this, the woman said "ok, but you'd still owe me five cents for a loonie, it's $4.45".

WHAT

She gave me a loonie and acted like I shorted her to get it.I walked out in a daze because I couldn't figure out what was going on.

One time I bought a $20 shirt and paid for it with a $100 bill. The cashier gave me the shirt and $110 in change - I had to convince her she made a mistake but eventually we figured it out.

Have to admit I did think about taking the money and running but my conscience won out.

I ordered a pizza for pick up the other day when I went in the pick it up they were really busy. I was in line and they told me it would be a few minutes....then, when it was ready, a lady came over and handed it to me but I hadn't paid yet. I did (pay), for the same reason. I could have just walked out and no one would have known, but she was busting her tail and it was an oversight on her part.

So I guess that answers the question.

Actually, in my situation, I was pondering why my bill was so low at a store that I buy things regulary at (with amazingly nice people working there). When I got home, I checked the bill and they hadn't charged me for something that was almost $20, so a couple of days later, I returned to the store and told them, then had them add it to my new bill. I made sure that my kids knew what I was doing, so that they could learn what honestly is and what helping others looks like, darn it!

The odd thing mostly when I use cash it's at a starbucks. Depending on the cashier I've been overcharged, where upon I pointed it out. And if I've been given more change back, I return it and put some in the coin box in front. I don't think of it as tipping I think of it as getting rid of pennies, nickles and dimes.

The folks there know me, and if I've waited in line a long time, they have given me my tall coffee for free.

I have a story I went to Costco bought groceries my wife had $100 cash so she wanted to pay part of the bill with that and part with debit($200). The lady takes the cash and we swipe our debit card but nothing happens my wife says to the lady nothing is on the screen she says sorry and does something nothing again, this happens (3 times in total) the last time she says ok your good I say no nothing was on the screen we didnt enter our pin or anything she says no it went through i tell her 2 more times and then say to myself screw it if your that dumb im not paying the rest... would you consider this wrong?

I found $75 sitting on the floor in a bank ATM one day, right in front of the machine, I kept it, and was super happy

Needless to say, I voted "yes" and I ain't going back on my vote

That's different. You have no idea of knowing whose it is or if they'll ever get it back if you just hand it in someplace.

When you know the source of the unknowing "donation", it becomes a whole different story. You know it'll come out of their pocket or they'll have to account for it. You know who it belongs to.

And like EBW said, it's especially important to bring kids up this way, with a sense of honesty and integrity. One of my proudest moments was when my son, a new clerk at Bosley's, told me a customer came in and bought very large bags of dog food that my son helped him to his car with. On the way back in, he saw that the guy had dropped a $100 bill in front of the till (the only customer in the store), so he ran back out to catch the guy before he drove away. He was a teenager and it was his first job...I was very proud that he did the right thing (and guy came back to flip him $20, which reaffirmed it).

I was in line at 7-11 for an energy drink and a construction worker just paid for his...and as he walked away, his money fell out of his back pocket - 3 fives folded together - I walked over, picked it up and called to him - he thanked me as that was all he had left and it was his lunch money.

It depended on the store for me. My example goes way back to when CD's were still purchased at big music stores. I happily walked up to the register with over 200 bucks in CD's, and when I went to punch in my debit card number, I noticed the total was off by a decimal point in my favour. Bonus for me. My lifetime of purchases had been rewarded. I could care less about a chain corporation.

If that happened in a mom and pop store though, different action by me. More honesty, honestly.

Oh yeah, before someone comes out and says "that's still dishonest", you're right, and I'll refer you back to the part stating that I didn't care. I can count on 2 hands the number of times someone has dropped cash on the ground near me. They always get it back.

On the flip side I've also had cash handling experience in previous jobs and I can honestly say that I've never gotten mad or even slightly irritated at customers for not giving back extra change. Yea I got in trouble but it was my fault, not theirs. I mean hey, some sucker handed them extra cash, it wasn't cheated or stolen, why not keep it?

Archived