Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

if a cashier gave you extra change without relizing it and you knew it, would you keep it or give it back

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Poll: would you pocket extra change given in error by cashier? (81 member(s) have cast votes)

would you keep the extra change?

1. no i would give it back to the cashier. (55 votes [67.90%])

Percentage of vote: 67.90%

2. yes i would pocket the change. (26 votes [32.10%])

Percentage of vote: 32.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

Actually, in my situation, I was pondering why my bill was so low at a store that I buy things regulary at (with amazingly nice people working there). When I got home, I checked the bill and they hadn't charged me for something that was almost $20, so a couple of days later, I returned to the store and told them, then had them add it to my new bill. I made sure that my kids knew what I was doing, so that they could learn what honestly is and what helping others looks like, darn it!
Posted Image

#32 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

I give it back. Being honest and having integrity is important to me.

#33 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,419 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

The odd thing mostly when I use cash it's at a starbucks. Depending on the cashier I've been overcharged, where upon I pointed it out. And if I've been given more change back, I return it and put some in the coin box in front. I don't think of it as tipping I think of it as getting rid of pennies, nickles and dimes.

The folks there know me, and if I've waited in line a long time, they have given me my tall coffee for free.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#34 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

I have a story I went to Costco bought groceries my wife had $100 cash so she wanted to pay part of the bill with that and part with debit($200). The lady takes the cash and we swipe our debit card but nothing happens my wife says to the lady nothing is on the screen she says sorry and does something nothing again, this happens (3 times in total) the last time she says ok your good I say no nothing was on the screen we didnt enter our pin or anything she says no it went through i tell her 2 more times and then say to myself screw it if your that dumb im not paying the rest... would you consider this wrong?

#35 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

I've always given the money back ... still waiting for karma.

#36 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 22,991 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

I found $75 sitting on the floor in a bank ATM one day, right in front of the machine, I kept it, and was super happy

Needless to say, I voted "yes" and I ain't going back on my vote

That's different. You have no idea of knowing whose it is or if they'll ever get it back if you just hand it in someplace.

When you know the source of the unknowing "donation", it becomes a whole different story. You know it'll come out of their pocket or they'll have to account for it. You know who it belongs to.

And like EBW said, it's especially important to bring kids up this way, with a sense of honesty and integrity. One of my proudest moments was when my son, a new clerk at Bosley's, told me a customer came in and bought very large bags of dog food that my son helped him to his car with. On the way back in, he saw that the guy had dropped a $100 bill in front of the till (the only customer in the store), so he ran back out to catch the guy before he drove away. He was a teenager and it was his first job...I was very proud that he did the right thing (and guy came back to flip him $20, which reaffirmed it).

Posted Image

#37 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,690 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

I was in line at 7-11 for an energy drink and a construction worker just paid for his...and as he walked away, his money fell out of his back pocket - 3 fives folded together - I walked over, picked it up and called to him - he thanked me as that was all he had left and it was his lunch money.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#38 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

It depended on the store for me. My example goes way back to when CD's were still purchased at big music stores. I happily walked up to the register with over 200 bucks in CD's, and when I went to punch in my debit card number, I noticed the total was off by a decimal point in my favour. Bonus for me. My lifetime of purchases had been rewarded. I could care less about a chain corporation.

If that happened in a mom and pop store though, different action by me. More honesty, honestly.

Oh yeah, before someone comes out and says "that's still dishonest", you're right, and I'll refer you back to the part stating that I didn't care. I can count on 2 hands the number of times someone has dropped cash on the ground near me. They always get it back.

This.

Big corporation, I keep.

Small, independant business, I return.

#39 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

On the flip side I've also had cash handling experience in previous jobs and I can honestly say that I've never gotten mad or even slightly irritated at customers for not giving back extra change. Yea I got in trouble but it was my fault, not theirs. I mean hey, some sucker handed them extra cash, it wasn't cheated or stolen, why not keep it?

I will defer to Wetcoaster on this one but I am pretty sure it is illegal to take advantage of a clerical error.

#40 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Doesn't happen often, but when it has, I also let them know they undercharged me.
Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

#41 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

happened twice, gave back both times.

at the end of the day, it comes out to how much people value themselves and their honesty/integrity.

if a little petty change is worth it for you to stoop so low to run off with it and possibly ruin a poor cashiers day, then thats the type of person you are. to each his own
Fire MG

#42 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

This.

Big corporation, I keep.

Small, independant business, I return.

Situational honesty, integrity and ethics????

Seems odd to me.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#43 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

I will defer to Wetcoaster on this one but I am pretty sure it is illegal to take advantage of a clerical error.

Unless you did something to contribute to the clerical error and had the necessary criminal intent, I do not see criminal charges be laid - it would be a civil matter.

There have been instances where banks have been forced to sue civilly to recover money inadvertently paid out due to a bank error IIRC.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#44 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I've worked with a cash register when I was a teenager. There were a handful of times when I just started out that a customer gave me back a few dollars of change that I had given him by accident. I always give back change when this happens to me, it was nice dealing with honest people then.

That said, I do get a little bitter when you go somewhere and the machine spits out the change for the cashier...where's the skill in that?!

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#45 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,418 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Seems odd to me.

World not black and white? Does not compute.

#46 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

This is the sort of issue that seems black and white to me. YMMV.

#47 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,418 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

This is the sort of issue that seems black and white to me. YMMV.

Of course it does.

#48 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

If I notice, then yes. But that has never happened to me yet.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

View PostMarkus Alexander Cody, on 19 July 2010 - 11:34 PM, said:

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#49 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Care to put an argument forward then? Big corporations employ real people and sell goods and services to individuals. Any potential monetary loss isn't magically absorbed by an infinite amount of profit. It's likely real people will feel the backlash be it through lower wages, reduced benefits, or direct consequences to the employee who was responsible for the losses. This is all besides the point though because a thief is still a thief irregardless of when he wants to steal.

If I found money on the ground and didn't know who it belonged to I'd keep it. If i was given extra money back when I made a transaction I'd feel obliged to return it. It doesn't matter who the cashier or store is. For those who think people it's alright to do otherwise how do you think society would operate if everyone proceeded in such a manner?

#50 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,208 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

i always give it back. one time a cashier gave me an extra 20 that was stuck to the other one, and i made sure they knew about it. i've had a cashier try to pass it off before, or refuse to take it and told me to keep quiet about it, i'm guessing they get in trouble for incorrect change given or something, but i just left it on the counter and left.

#51 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,616 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

That's different. You have no idea of knowing whose it is or if they'll ever get it back if you just hand it in someplace.

When you know the source of the unknowing "donation", it becomes a whole different story. You know it'll come out of their pocket or they'll have to account for it. You know who it belongs to.

And like EBW said, it's especially important to bring kids up this way, with a sense of honesty and integrity. One of my proudest moments was when my son, a new clerk at Bosley's, told me a customer came in and bought very large bags of dog food that my son helped him to his car with. On the way back in, he saw that the guy had dropped a $100 bill in front of the till (the only customer in the store), so he ran back out to catch the guy before he drove away. He was a teenager and it was his first job...I was very proud that he did the right thing (and guy came back to flip him $20, which reaffirmed it).

Well, if my bank story is different, then your example too, is different: it's a person, not a business. A dude recently dropped $5 in front of me in a coffee shop, and I immediately picked it up and gave it back to him. But I certainly don't care if I pay $20 for a movie and they give me $10 instead of $5 change. Do I honestly care if I'm going to be slighting Cineplex an extra few dollars? Absolutely not. I bet all those do-gooders who voted 'no' engage in similar 'dishonest' (if not illegal) acts all the time, like pirating.

I could use that money a lot more than some mega corporation can, as far as I'm concerned.

Seems odd to me.

Who in their right mind would think that ethical decisions should apply to an absolute rather than a situational consideration? To me it's funny how people are saying their parents raised them right and all that garbage. In the case of getting extra change, that's one thing, but to act as if there's a universal ethical "Truth" or "honesty" is, imo, dumb.

A good parent would teach their child reflexivity, and how to properly contextualize each moral quandary. Sometimes selfishness and dishonesty are much better for a person, and the idea of some absolute 'greater good' seems medieval
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#52 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,616 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Care to put an argument forward then? Big corporations employ real people and sell goods and services to individuals. Any potential monetary loss isn't magically absorbed by an infinite amount of profit. It's likely real people will feel the backlash be it through lower wages, reduced benefits, or direct consequences to the employee who was responsible for the losses. This is all besides the point though because a thief is still a thief irregardless of when he wants to steal.

If I found money on the ground and didn't know who it belonged to I'd keep it. If i was given extra money back when I made a transaction I'd feel obliged to return it. It doesn't matter who the cashier or store is. For those who think people it's alright to do otherwise how do you think society would operate if everyone proceeded in such a manner?

uhh, pretty much more or less the same way it operates now?
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#53 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,616 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

for those 40 people who voted "no" -- do you pirate copyrighted material?
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#54 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Here's another question I think would be interesting: would the answer change if instead of a cashier it were an automated self checkout or a vending machine?

edit: I guess if it were a vending machine it would be more likely to give you free food as opposed to extra change

to answer the question myself, if it were a real cashier I would be tempted to keep it, but I would give it back since I don't want anyone getting in trouble. For a vending machine, no way in hell. I've been screwed over by those things so many times, so I'm just getting my money back. Or maybe I'm just an asshole.

Edited by etsen3, 14 January 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#55 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,910 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

for those 40 people who voted "no" -- do you pirate copyrighted material?

Irrelevant
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#56 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,616 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Irrelevant

This is all besides the point though because a thief is still a thief irregardless of when he wants to steal.

Posted Image
le temps restitué

#57 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,208 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Here's another question I think would be interesting: would the answer change if instead of a cashier it were an automated self checkout or a vending machine?

in that case it would be more trouble than it's worth to return the extra couple cents.

if it was a dollar or more i'd make the call to the number on the side of the machine. though if it's a self checkout i'd hand the cashier the couple cents extra (though i rarely check those amounts, to be honest)

Edited by avelanch, 14 January 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#58 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,616 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

in that case it would be more trouble than it's worth to return the extra couple cents.

so your honesty and integrity and great parents only raised you to be a good person... so long as it fits your time schedule?
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#59 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,208 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

so your honesty and integrity and great parents only raised you to be a good person... so long as it fits your time schedule?

when it costs more to return it than it's worth i consider it a wash, but feel free to see my revised answer for your high and mighty ego stroke.

Edited by avelanch, 14 January 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#60 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Of course it does.

Glad to see that you agree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.