Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

if a cashier gave you extra change without relizing it and you knew it, would you keep it or give it back

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Poll: would you pocket extra change given in error by cashier? (81 member(s) have cast votes)

would you keep the extra change?

1. no i would give it back to the cashier. (55 votes [67.90%])

Percentage of vote: 67.90%

2. yes i would pocket the change. (26 votes [32.10%])

Percentage of vote: 32.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

I could use that money a lot more than some mega corporation can, as far as I'm concerned.

Who in their right mind would think that ethical decisions should apply to an absolute rather than a situational consideration? To me it's funny how people are saying their parents raised them right and all that garbage. In the case of getting extra change, that's one thing, but to act as if there's a universal ethical "Truth" or "honesty" is, imo, dumb.

A good parent would teach their child reflexivity, and how to properly contextualize each moral quandary. Sometimes selfishness and dishonesty are much better for a person, and the idea of some absolute 'greater good' seems medieval

My parents would disagree. They were clear from the time I could grasp life lessons that if it was not my property, it did not belong to me.

There is no greater good in my position, but that seems to be inherent in your big evil corporation construct. I go with honesty and integrity across the board.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#62 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

ive been giving.. so i take as much as i can

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#63 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

A good parent would teach their child reflexivity, and how to properly contextualize each moral quandary.

And mine did, (Along with 40 other sets of parents as is evidenced by the poll), thank you very much....... next?

My parents would disagree. They were clear from the time I could grasp life lessons that if it was not my property, it did not belong to me.

There is no greater good in my position, but that seems to be inherent in your big evil corporation construct. I go with honesty and integrity across the board.

As would mine. It's a downright dirty shame that some parents appear to have forgotten to teach this invaluable life lesson to their children thereby leaving said children with a grandiose sense of self-entitlement. (As is evidenced by the 20 who chose the 'non-return' button on the poll)

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 January 2013 - 01:43 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#64 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

oh yeah my moms better than your mom! so :P

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#65 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,814 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Care to put an argument forward then? Big corporations employ real people and sell goods and services to individuals. Any potential monetary loss isn't magically absorbed by an infinite amount of profit. It's likely real people will feel the backlash be it through lower wages, reduced benefits, or direct consequences to the employee who was responsible for the losses. This is all besides the point though because a thief is still a thief irregardless of when he wants to steal.

If I found money on the ground and didn't know who it belonged to I'd keep it. If i was given extra money back when I made a transaction I'd feel obliged to return it. It doesn't matter who the cashier or store is. For those who think people it's alright to do otherwise how do you think society would operate if everyone proceeded in such a manner?

The way it operates now. All you guys on your high horse...never download anything illegal? Take a candy and eat it from the bulk section? No, of course not, integrity! Morals!

#66 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,814 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Glad to see that you agree.

Point missed.

#67 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Point missed.

The moniker is most appropriate if you think/believe for even one second that the point was missed. Perhaps you should go back and have another look. LMAO :lol:

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#68 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Point missed.

Nope.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#69 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,814 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

The moniker is most appropriate if you think/believe for even one second that the point was missed. Perhaps you should go back and have another look. LMAO :lol:

You sure post a lot but rarely ever say anything other than lapping at his feet.

#70 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,814 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Nope.

Well, I'm glad you are more informed about the point I was making than I am. You sure are special.

#71 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

You sure post a lot but rarely ever say anything other than lapping at his feet.

You really need to get around a little more........ then your post content ^^^ wouldn't be so foolish.........and incorrect.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 January 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#72 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,814 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

You really need to get around a little more........ then your post content wouldn't be so foolish.........and incorrect.

hahahahahahaha now that's funny!

#73 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Well, I'm glad you are more informed about the point I was making than I am. You sure are special.

That should not be a surprising turn of events.

Special? Perhaps.

Another point upon which we can agree, then.

#74 Intoewsables

Intoewsables

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,210 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Definitely hand it back if I noticed. A cashier did the same to me when I handed her an extra $20 a while ago so it's only fair. :P

#75 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,540 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

One wonders how you function in society if you are anything like your persona online.

What do you know about THE REAL WORLD, you motherless thief?!?!
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#76 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,540 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

"evil corporation construct"??? is that what you took from my saying Cineplex is a mega corporation?

the greater good is me. i don't know, or care, if Cineplex is evil. I just know that I have no problem stealing from corporations like that, which is why I pirate things. I'm nothing if not consistent.
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#77 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

i'd probably give the cashier back the change just because cahsiers get in crap if their tills aren't balanced and i'm all about the little man. but yeah small amounts of pocket change probably isn't the thing to go defining your morality around.

Posted Image

#78 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

glassjaw you immoral heathen this thread is obviously exemplary of your character

Posted Image

#79 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

One wonders how you function in society if you are anything like your persona online.

Perfectly well, thank you for asking.

#80 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,768 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

(and no I don't d/l pirated music/movies either)

Posted Image

#81 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,988 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

This escalated quickly.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#82 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

I think this is a good reminder to count your change as you are even more likely to be shortchanged than given too much.

Don't you just hate it when ya get a pile of change that takes a while to sort thru?
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#83 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Nah, I always give it back. I'd rather sacrifice the extra cash/change than let the cashier get into crap for their till being short at the end of the day.

#84 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Return it. I have parents who instilled a set of good morals and ethical behavior at a very young age.

^^^ This.
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#85 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,106 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

If I happen to notice of course I do.

I have gotten home and realized there's been mistakes but at that point it's never been a big enough amount that it was worth it to me to bother going back.

But being the math guy I am I usually am doing a mental calculation as they ring things up and if I spot something tend to bring it up before the mistake is even made regardless of who it would benefit.

Mind you, I could be called evil like glassjaw based solely on the number of beers I have gotten for free using the Jedi mind trick over my life. Not that I do that anymore (Karma of course makes beers cost 8 bucks at my favorite drinking establishment not that I will be drinking there for a while) but I have done it enough that the most common price I have paid for beers on average would probably still be zero.

#86 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

if its a big company, then yea would and have done.

in fact, I remember getting a free meal from mcdonalds once cause the cashier forgot to get me to pay. Their fault, not mine that I'm getting large corperation money/product for free.
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#87 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

i would definitely not give it back. if i accidentally gave someone too much money, i would definitely not expect it back.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#88 VancouverStyle

VancouverStyle

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

I always give the extra change back.

I was in this situation the other day. Where i work, without realizing it, i gave a patron a
little more money then what they were suppose to get, but she was kind of to give it back.

I dont believe in karma, i was just raised right.

#89 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

I would return the money if it was a small business like mine, mostly because I wouldn't want to see the cashier possibly lose their job being some amount short. We're pretty tough on our cashier's being both under and over.

If it was Wal-Mart, or Metro, or Canadian Tire.. wouldn't.

On the other hand, I tend to pay with plastic anyways so these situations have a very very small chance of arising.

Much like GLASSJAW I find it really funny how absolutist some people are being about this, especially in light of how many would return the dollars but pirate (aka steal) someone else's works. Pious is as pious does. :lol:

Edited by zaibatsu, 14 January 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#90 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

if its a big company, then yea would and have done.

in fact, I remember getting a free meal from mcdonalds once cause the cashier forgot to get me to pay. Their fault, not mine that I'm getting large corperation money/product for free.

Large corporations are typically owned by shareholders for example the general public. That's who you're stealing from. You keep on justifying it any way that let's you sleep at night but that's the truth.

Good luck with your attitude of entitlement. I bet it will get you far in life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.