The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Best backup goalie option

86Viking

If the trade of Luongo does happen, Im just curious as to who would be the most suitable backup to play behind schneider? I would think someone who has been recently playing somewhate regularly in the NHL would be ideal.

Ive heard some people mention Turco, but seems like his game has truly fallen off if he can even be an option for a team like the maple leafs.

I know Roloson didnt have a good year and he is up there, does anyone know if he retired?

what other options are out their for a quality backup who could play meaningful games behind schneider?

thanks

Lets trade Lui first then talk about a backup. I have a feeling Lui will be here for the season.

I mean if the best trade we can get from the leafs is Bozak and a first then I would rather keep him. It never hurts to have two elite goalies heading into the play offs.

This is not a trade, rumour or signing. Just a heads up to watch where you're posting so you don't give anyone some misguided hope that they're clicking on a thread about a backup we've suddenly acquired or might acquire.

Ellis was talked about as probably the best of any UFAs, but he's signed with Carolina now. At this point, it's possible we keep both goalies until a decent trade is found, and then we'll either have a goalie coming back, or Lack will be ready.

if there can be ample luongo trade threads and theres a [discussion] thread about his potential trade, why cant i post a discussion thread as to see who we feel should be the backup goalie if luo is traded?

Doesnt seem to be off topic or misleading to me, but hey if it is move it into the proposal section. As i see it Gillis has a high asking price so he wont budge off that so we will probably roll with both goalies unless a team gets desperate down the road.

Thought it would be nice to see what options were out there thats all

I think there's a good chance the new back-up will come via the Luongo trade. James Reimer? Micheal Leighton? Jose Theodore? Johan Hedberg? Something like that.

Maybe a separate trade for a guy like Nabokov.. or Leighton again, since Philly has Boucher and Bryz now.

The best UFA goalies are Brent Johnson, Marty Turco and Dwayne Rolson. All of whom are over 35 and past their prime. They all have a shot at bouncing back, but honestly I don't think any of them are a back up on a cup contender.

ya if florida was to trade for luongo i totally agree, clemmensen would be in the deat coming back. I hope he gets traded to florida, Luongo has played great for us and has done everything right, if we can get a fair return and he can go to florida its a win win for the canucks and him

This is not a trade, rumour or signing. Just a heads up to watch where you're posting so you don't give anyone some misguided hope that they're clicking on a thread about a backup we've suddenly acquired or might acquire.

Ellis was talked about as probably the best of any UFAs, but he's signed with Carolina now. At this point, it's possible we keep both goalies until a decent trade is found, and then we'll either have a goalie coming back, or Lack will be ready.

I watched a few games with Reimer in net, hes actually more than decent considering the morons playing in front of him. Theres a few times where Liles and Phaneuf absolutely hung Reimer out to dry and made a key save. From all accounts that ive read and heard, Reimer is a very good teammate, absolutely adored in the locker room. I think if he became a Canuck, he give us probably 6- 10 good games, would be a good team guy in the locker and i suspect Reimer would also be huge in the community. Theres no character issues with that guy. His style is somewhat similar to Schneider, maybe thats Allaire was let go in TO. Id like to see Melanson get his hands on him and polish up his technique, could be a good pick up from the Luongo trade if and when that happens

If Lu or Cory leave, I would re-acquire Climie.

He has been, apart from one game, outstanding since taking over from Lack. (who I hadn't been impressed with that much anyway)

I doubt if Wolves would have won half the games they did had it not been for Climie. The guy deserves a chance and the fact that he used to be ours probably meant we saw something there at one time.

Archived