The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jim Vandermeer

Strombone1

@BradZiemer: Vandermeer: "You guys all know that it is kind of the rumour going around, that they needed a little more push-back to their game...

@BradZiemer: More Vandermeer: "And I know I can bring that." #Canucks

@BradZiemer: Vandermeer says some of the #Canucks he skated with at UBC during the lockout spoke to management on his behalf.

Signing a 9th D-man doesn't mean that we're trading somebody, just that we want to be prepared in case 3 of them get injured at any point (a plausible scenario, especially with our luck). Plus, Vandermeer is a veteran guy who can help out on the farm team in a leadership role.

Vandermeer has played fourth line winger before so he also brings that as an option.(albeit so has Alberts and Ballard but I think Vandermeer would be a lot more effective if called on to do so)

I don't see hitting as a problem. Edler, Bieksa, Ballard, and Garrison can all throw big hits. Whether it be standing up players or throwing a hip check here or there.

What we need is some nastiness in front of our net, and someone who's willing to keep the other team from running around.

The great thing about getting a tougher player like this, it improves the "toughness" match ups all the way up the roster.

If Vandermeer takes on the opposing goon (probably losing as he isn't a legit heavyweight... but he plays 12 minutes a game vs. them on for 2 minutes)... it means that all of a sudden Weise, Volpatti, Bieksa, Zassian line up against lesser opponents who they are probably tougher than. Everyone gets to play a little bigger.

I also think that with so many games against Edmonton this year, it is a good idea to play a little tougher. they are a team we can push around a little even if we can't match them in pure skill.

Archived