137 replies to this topic

#91 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,815 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Does the waiver rule still exist for contracts under $1 million? That's the case for recall but what about when sent down?

Waivers has nothing to do with how much they make. He would be eligible or not depending on games played. As has been mentioned, there are no more recall waivers but he'd still have to pass through regular waivers to go play in the NHL since he's a veteran guy.

You may be thinking of cap hits for contracts in the AHL over $900K. Vandermeer's (and Barker's) contract is less than that even at the NHL level but then less still at the AHL level, so there's no worry there.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#92 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Another depth D-man who can play NHL minutes in case of injuries.

#93 Anti-Bettman

Anti-Bettman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

I can see Vandermeer taking a 6th-7th spot on this team. Not only is he tough, he can also make great breakout plays. Awesome 2-way signing by Gillis along with the Barker signing. Gillis is on the ball this year!

* 1st in Canucks Fantasy Hockey 2011/12*

Posted ImagePosted Image

#94 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Im so happy with this signing, i wanted him ever since i found out he was available and wanted to play here. He's definately someone we could use on our defence.

MG is packing some heat this season, he probably got tired of goons (Keith) taking shots at our stars without retaliation from our players.

#95 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

I can see Vandermeer taking a 6th-7th spot on this team. Not only is he tough, he can also make great breakout plays. Awesome 2-way signing by Gillis along with the Barker signing. Gillis is on the ball this year!

'Great breakout plays' might be an exaggeration, although it's true that he makes a better 1st pass than most 7th defenseman goon types.

#96 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I don't see hitting as a problem. Edler, Bieksa, Ballard, and Garrison can all throw big hits. Whether it be standing up players or throwing a hip check here or there.

What we need is some nastiness in front of our net, and someone who's willing to keep the other team from running around.

Yo that!
Kevin.jpg

#97 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Great signing imo. I wasn't of the opinion that Conn could have stepped up this year anyway. Makes you wonder if Edler is moving and maybe Ballard steps up. I wouldn't like that to be honest. I think to win a SC we need all these guys.
Kevin.jpg

#98 Systemaddict

Systemaddict

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

'Great breakout plays' might be an exaggeration, although it's true that he makes a better 1st pass than most 7th defenseman goon types.

Yeah - I thought the same thing. Vandermeer isn't going to be your puckmoving visionary on the back end and people shouldn't expect anything great. The guys a career minus player who will struggle to get playing time without injuries.

And don't take that as me ragging on the guy - I'm happy with the signing. I think he's a better depth signing than most have been in the past, I think he's good for 10 points if he were to play every single game this year, he's willing to stand up for his team and will protect the crease and most of all I think he's a veteran leader, a guy that can be a real asset to guys like Tanev and Kassian.

But - I'm not expecting 'great' breakout plays. I just want to see him stay positive on the +/-

#99 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Atleast we have someone who can take on heavyweights now. Besides Kassian.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#100 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Vandermeer was a genuine "missing piece" for this club. Watch that fight with Milan Lucic and what stands out besides Vandermeer's awesome grin is that Lucic is nowhere NEAR Dubnyk. Can't get close, gets frustrated and throws the gloves down. Looks like Schneid is gonna make a new friend.

Edited by nateb123, 14 January 2013 - 05:13 PM.

Keswho.jpg

#101 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Prior to entering the NHL, the Caroline, AB, native captained the WHL Red Deer Rebels to a Memorial Cup championship in the 2000.01 season. That same year, he was awarded the Doug Wickenheiser Memorial Trophy (Humanitarian of the Year Award).

#102 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Canucks now have 9 NHL Ready D-Man signed

Canucks to NHL:

ALL YOUR DEFENSEMEN ARE BELONG TO US!

Posted Image

#103 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Great signing imo. I wasn't of the opinion that Conn could have stepped up this year anyway. Makes you wonder if Edler is moving and maybe Ballard steps up. I wouldn't like that to be honest. I think to win a SC we need all these guys.

No defenseman is moving. We don't sign depth D to just get rid of the top 4 guys. That would be a step backward.

Posted Image

#104 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,273 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

And that's exactly why Gillis likes him.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#105 logic

logic

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Its not a signing because someone is moving lol.
If we play lets say Boston? The bottom pair will probably be Ballard - Vandy both aren't scared to fight
Posted Image

#106 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Playoff signing, Wolves signing

#107 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,476 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Either a trade is on the way or Tanev is heading back to the AHL.

Doubt it, Tanev is better than all of the guys we have signed.

Also I doubt Ballard or Tanev or Edler or anyone is getting moved, Managment was convinced by some players to sign him, they also realize that you can never have too much depth as we are already seeing injuries on day 2 of camp.

Great Depth signing, nothing more.

zackass.png

#108 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I can see one of those 3 coming in for Tanev for more physical matchups, ie. against Chicago.

Three for toughness? Hey, Alberts and Barker have shown they're willing. But they lose most of their fights. Vandy goes toe to toe with the big guys and grins ear to ear, as has been mentioned already!

I don't see hitting as a problem. Edler, Bieksa, Ballard, and Garrison can all throw big hits. Whether it be standing up players or throwing a hip check here or there.

What we need is some nastiness in front of our net, and someone who's willing to keep the other team from running around.

Best quote here today; and I'm grinning from ear to ear. I've been calling for a nasty right D to clear our net and punish opposing forwards for more than a year! And yes, Vandy add's a second pickup to Garrison who will push guys like Joe Thornton away from our net. Sure its just depth, but at least its in our toolbox!

If he can take on Lucic, imagine what pipsqueeks like Marchand will get???

The great thing about getting a tougher player like this, it improves the "toughness" match ups all the way up the roster.

If Vandermeer takes on the opposing goon (probably losing as he isn't a legit heavyweight... but he plays 12 minutes a game vs. them on for 2 minutes)... it means that all of a sudden Weise, Volpatti, Bieksa, Zassian line up against lesser opponents who they are probably tougher than. Everyone gets to play a little bigger.

I also think that with so many games against Edmonton this year, it is a good idea to play a little tougher. they are a team we can push around a little even if we can't match them in pure skill.

Hey,I agree whole heartedly Plus who wants Kassian in the box when he can score goals, and Vandy is the better fighter anyway? Edmonton (for now) is just playing tough so their fans can have some entertainment for their squad when it loses.

Where it will really help is against LA, who got mileage running at Tanev and others. Make no mistake, amongst the top two reasons we lost to LA is they manipulated size match ups in their favour at their will! Of course this was also the number one reason we lost to Boston; beyond size match ups they simply beat on us until we broke.

We've now added 220 lb Garrison, 222 lb Barker and nasty MoFo Vandy this off season. Gillis; bring us another big right winger and I'm voting for exec of the year once again after questioning lots last year!

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 14 January 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#109 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Three for toughness? Hey, Alberts and Barker have shown they're willing. But they lose most of their fights. Vandy goes toe to toe with the big guys and grins ear to ear, as has been mentioned already!

Best quote here today; and I'm grinning from ear to ear. I've been calling for a nasty right D to clear our net and punish opposing forwards for more than a year! And yes, Vandy add's a second pickup to Garrison who will push guys like Joe Thornton away from our net. Sure its just depth, but at least its in our toolbox!

If he can take on Lucic, imagine what pipsqueeks like Marchand will get???

Hey,I agree whole heartedly Plus who wants Kassian in the box when he can score goals, and Vandy is the better fighter anyway? Edmonton (for now) is just playing tough so their fans can have some entertainment for their squad when it loses.

Where it will really help is against LA, who got mileage running at Tanev and others. Make no mistake, amongst the top two reasons we lost to LA is they manipulated size match ups in their favour at their will! Of course this was also the number one reason we lost to Boston; beyond size match ups they simply beat on us until we broke.

We've now added 220 lb Garrison, 222 lb Barker and nasty MoFo Vandy this off season. Gillis; bring us another big right winger and I'm voting for exec of the year once again after questioning lots last year!

I want MG to get Clowe and ill never question the teams toughness anymore. ^_^

#110 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Great signing. The team has such a great contrast when you look at the new toughness in Kassian and the signings this year and the skill we already have. It's the perfect recipe if you ask me...especially when the refs put away the whistle in the post season.

I am very excited.
Posted Image

#111 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Good signing and strategic move by the Canucks.
Posted Image

#112 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

I'd rather have barker on the 2 way contract and dandy vandy on the NHL club full time, but I'm sure Barker wasn't going to sign a 2 way deal and Vandy wants to be here so bad that he doesn't care what his contract is really. That attitude of the do anything for the team has always bowed well for guys in our organization, he might just play his way onto the team full time. If he's clearing guys out, getting good pims that are neccissary and wearing down other teams guys thats great! I almost want to save him till the playoffs when his style of D is more evident :) Attitude is so important when your making cup run's, this guy wants to be here and wants to win and seems like he will do anything for that :D good job MG 9 D is solid and we will most drop 1 or 2 at the end of the year depending on if Edler resigns...
linden Vey Sig

#113 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6i9eq4I6_M

Wow! He went toe to toe with him. That was a respectable fight,

Great signing by MG

Vandermeer>Alberts
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#114 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Great signing. The team has such a great contrast when you look at the new toughness in Kassian and the signings this year and the skill we already have. It's the perfect recipe if you ask me...especially when the refs put away the whistle in the post season.

I am very excited.

We are one top 6 forward away from having the perfect recipe. Ebbett,Lapierre,Schroeder or Manny can play on the 3rd line, but that top 6 forward spot is still vacant.

God speed Mike Gillis,
God speed
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#115 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

I want MG to get Clowe and ill never question the teams toughness anymore. ^_^

I've been wanting this to happen for a couple years ^_^
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#116 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

I've wanted a signing like this forever. Ilike the puck movers but we need more grit as well. Add one more BIG winger with Speed and TOUGHNESS and we might have everything we need for another run!
:towel:

#117 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,587 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

I've been wanting this to happen for a couple years ^_^

Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#118 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

http://youtu.be/X6i9eq4I6_M

http://youtu.be/zYFGhJiL0Aw

any guy that fights Milan Lucic laughing and drops George Parros i want on my team. Welcome Jim Vandameer

Edited by D.J Ball, 14 January 2013 - 08:59 PM.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#119 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

I've wanted a signing like this forever. Ilike the puck movers but we need more grit as well. Add one more BIG winger with Speed and TOUGHNESS and we might have everything we need for another run!

think we need a big time center to replace Kesler if want cup run plus that super fast heavyhitting goon winger !
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#120 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Bennnnnnnnnnnn.......

but I'll settle for Weiss/Grabovski.......

If I have to..........

I guess.......
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.