The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Real Paul Ryan Stands Up - Again

Wetcoaster

After being absent for the past few months, the real Paul Ryan re-emerges.

When he was tabbed as the Vice-Presidential running mate for Republican presidential nominee, Willard Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan was forced to button down his virulent anti-abortion stance as well as other neo-conservative policies to try to appeal to the middle of the road voter. The voters were not easily fooled showing that President Lincoln was correct when he said:

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

Much more elegant than when Dubya attempted to invoke a similar maxim - that also applies:

Now the Republican ticket was well and truly trounced, he has returned to his Christian fundamentalist roots. It seems like as Colin Powell and David Frum have noted many conservative Republicans have yet to learn their lessons from that loss.

Ryan is co-sponsoring a bill the Sanctity of Human Life Act that like the original bill that died in Congress in 2011, declares that life begins with fertilization, and would give states the right to ban all abortion, even in the cases involving incest, rape, or the life of the mother.

If Ryan is serious about running for president as the Republican nominee in 2016, it looks like the Democrats can pencil in another four years in the White House.

Paul Ryan Cosponsors New Fetal Personhood Bill

Despite the deep unpopularity of fetal personhood bills in 2012, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) has again decided to cosponsor the Sanctity of Human Life Act, a bill that gives full legal rights to human zygotes from the moment of fertilization.

Ryan, who reportedly has 2016 presidential ambitions, had to de-emphasize his opposition to abortion without exceptions during the 2012 election to align his position with presidential candidate Mitt Romney. But this year, Ryan has been tapped as a keynote speaker for the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List's sixth annual Campaign for Life Gala, and he is re-upping his support for the most extreme anti-abortion legislation in the country.

The personhood bill, first introduced in 2011 by Rep. Paul Broun (R-Ga.) and reintroduced by Broun last week, specifies that a "one-celled human embryo," even before it implants in the uterus to create a pregnancy, should be granted "all the legal and constitutional attributes and privileges of personhood." Similar legislation has been rejected by voters in multiple states, including the socially conservative Mississippi, because legal experts have pointed out that it could outlaw some forms of birth control and in vitro fertilization as well as criminalize abortion at all stages.

Broun said in a statement that a zygote's right to life should be "defended vigorously and at all costs."

"As a physician, I know that human life begins with fertilization, and I remain committed to ending abortion in all stages of pregnancy," he said. "I will continue to fight this atrocity on behalf of the unborn, and I hope my colleagues will support me in doing so."

Ryan did not immediately respond to HuffPost's request for comment about his support for the bill, which has 17 co-sponsors.

The bill died in the House of Representatives in 2011, when a record number of anti-abortion bills were being passed, and it is equally unlikely to advance this year. The Oklahoma Supreme Court struck down a state personhood initiative in 2012, deeming it "clearly unconstitutional" because it blocks a woman's legal right to have an abortion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/09/paul-ryan-personhood-bill_n_2440365.html

Mind you we have a couple of similar wack-a-doodle CPC MPs but they are out on the periphery of the political spectrum and easily dismissed as we saw with Conservative MP Stephen Woodworth's abortive (pun intended) attempt to re-write the law in the Criminal Code about when human life begins. It was voted down in the House of Commons and PM Harper voted against it as promised.

In 2008 a private member's bill by then Edmonton Conservative MP Ken App, The Unborn Victims of Crime Act, was introduced which sought to treat unborn babies as separate victims when their mothers are attacked or murdered. It was defeated. And PM Harper voted against it on the floor of the House of Commons..

In December 2010, "Roxanne's Law," a bill proposed by Conservative Winnipeg MP Rod Bruinooge seeking to make coerced abortion a criminal office, was defeated. Again PM Harper voted against it. The Prime Minister said said clearly that his government wouldn't be supporting the bill and restated he wasn't interested in an abortion debate.

In April 2011 PM Harper said when Conservative MP Brad Trost earlier tried to revive the abortion debate in the guise of denying funding for Planned Parenthood, PM Harper clearly saw through the baffle gab -

"Very clearly I am against reopening that debate. That is my position, now and in the past five years as well, and as long as I am prime minister, we will not reopen the debate on abortion. We will leave the law as it stands."

"I'm not opening this debate (on abortion). I don't want it opened. I have not wanted it opened. I haven't opened it as Prime Minister. I'm not going to open it. The public doesn't want to open it. This is not the priority of the Canadian public or this government and it will not be."

I don't understand what the Republicans are doing. They need a full overhaul, all of this neo-conservative crap is trying to take the country back 200 years, I don't understand the logic behind this.

Republicans would actually be taken seriously if they stuck to actual conservatism instead of trying to start more wars around the world and contaminating their agendas with policies on abortion, gay marriage, etc. The height of all of this was during the Bush administration and ever since then it hasn't worked. America isn't going to fall for this **** again.

Look at the Conservatives in Canada. Harper is smart enough to not open up the debate on abortion and gay marriage. He's put those issues in the back burner and focuses on more important topics. As much as I dislike Harper sometimes, I'd rather have him and his Conservatives over the insane Republicans down south.

If they do pass anything like that, I hope authorities will crack down on second hand smoking, drinking and spousal abuse as aggravated assault towards a minor, hell wouldn't sex with a pregnant woman be considered sexual exploitation of a minor? Banning pregnant women from bars/nightclubs. Slippery slope there.

I don't understand what the Republicans are doing. They need a full overhaul, all of this neo-conservative crap is trying to take the country back 200 years, I don't understand the logic behind this.

Republicans would actually be taken seriously if they stuck to actual conservatism instead of trying to start more wars around the world and contaminating their agendas with policies on abortion, gay marriage, etc. The height of all of this was during the Bush administration and ever since then it hasn't worked. America isn't going to fall for this **** again.

Look at the Conservatives in Canada. Harper is smart enough to not open up the debate on abortion and gay marriage. He's put those issues in the back burner and focuses on more important topics. As much as I dislike Harper sometimes, I'd rather have him and his Conservatives over the insane Republicans down south.

Archived