The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boycott? Maybe not completely but...

odjick22

Just listened to Gillis and he mentioned he doesn't think fans will boycott the team. I certainly haven't bought any merchandise or even plan to watch any games on TV or live at Rogers Arena. My reason has little to do with the lockout (really, nobody I knew gave a rat's arse) but it had to do with the concussion that Sedin received last year.

Gillis joined the organization and right away brought in some belligerence in Hordichuk (albeit not the feared enforcer I would have wanted) and now, we have Weise and Volpatti. There is absolutely no reason for an opposing player to not go and concuss a Sedin again. There is absolutely no reason for an opposing player to not run Schneider.

Gillis mentioned before that a successful season only happens if the Canucks win the Cup so what does it matter if we finish 1st in the division/conference/league? What does it matter if the Canucks are President's Cup winners? The only goal the Canucks should have is to win the Cup and to me, to not address the need for a feared enforcer to sit on the bench every single game will be the downfall and we (not me) will continue to see opposing teams not respecting any players on the Canucks. I don't care if the player gets 2 shifts, I don't care if he only sees 2 minutes of ice, the role is needed.

Someone needed to go out there and pummel Keith no matter if Keith wanted to fight. 2 points mean nothing if one of your leading players is out for 10 games and quite possibly cost you the opening round of the playoffs.

No worries Gillis, you'll probably see me watching playoff games if your team makes it...I'm that much of a sucker and I know that is what you depend on in this market.

Watch on tv at home or a bar or a resturant, but fans that are just going to go running back and buy tickets 1st game back and sell the arena out are just pathetic. The owners will literally just sit back and laugh, and know how pathetic some fans are.

I am not any less of a fan and am still going to watch like I usually do, but wouldn't go running back to them and buy tickets.

Just listened to Gillis and he mentioned he doesn't think fans will boycott the team. I certainly haven't bought any merchandise or even plan to watch any games on TV or live at Rogers Arena. My reason has little to do with the lockout (really, nobody I knew gave a rat's arse) but it had to do with the concussion that Sedin received last year.

Gillis joined the organization and right away brought in some belligerence in Hordichuk (albeit not the feared enforcer I would have wanted) and now, we have Weise and Volpatti. There is absolutely no reason for an opposing player to not go and concuss a Sedin again. There is absolutely no reason for an opposing player to not run Schneider.

Gillis mentioned before that a successful season only happens if the Canucks win the Cup so what does it matter if we finish 1st in the division/conference/league? What does it matter if the Canucks are President's Cup winners? The only goal the Canucks should have is to win the Cup and to me, to not address the need for a feared enforcer to sit on the bench every single game will be the downfall and we (not me) will continue to see opposing teams not respecting any players on the Canucks. I don't care if the player gets 2 shifts, I don't care if he only sees 2 minutes of ice, the role is needed.

Someone needed to go out there and pummel Keith no matter if Keith wanted to fight. 2 points mean nothing if one of your leading players is out for 10 games and quite possibly cost you the opening round of the playoffs.

No worries Gillis, you'll probably see me watching playoff games if your team makes it...I'm that much of a sucker and I know that is what you depend on in this market.

Watch on tv at home or a bar or a resturant, but fans that are just going to go running back and buy tickets 1st game back and sell the arena out are just pathetic. The owners will literally just sit back and laugh, and know how pathetic some fans are.

I am not any less of a fan and am still going to watch like I usually do, but wouldn't go running back to them and buy tickets.

My Dad's financial advisor offered us box seat tickets for the season opener on Saturday against Anaheim.

I think the lockout could have been prevented, but its over and won't happen for at least 8 more years.

I'm not turning down free tickets. Somebody will end up using them either way and i'll be damned if its not me!!!

GO CANUCKS GO :towel:

OP please tell me which of the recent Stanley Cup champions had an enforcer who actually played a role and wasn't in the press box almost every game. In the playoffs you have to have depth and grit, not a one trick pony who will waste a roster spot and be easy to skate around when he is on the ice. Gillis has recognized our need for toughness by finding tough players who can also play hockey, much like other teams have. For example: Zack Kassian, who has shown offensive skills and physicality and Jim Vandermeer who is hardworking and solid defensively. If you want to win you need players who are tough to play against, not just tough to fight.

OP please tell me which of the recent Stanley Cup champions had an enforcer who actually played a role and wasn't in the press box almost every game. In the playoffs you have to have depth and grit, not a one trick pony who will waste a roster spot and be easy to skate around when he is on the ice. Gillis has recognized our need for toughness by finding tough players who can also play hockey, much like other teams have. For example: Zack Kassian, who has shown offensive skills and physicality and Jim Vandermeer who is hardworking and solid defensively. If you want to win you need players who are tough to play against, not just tough to fight.

To answer your question, Boston Bruins, Chicago Black Hawks and Pittsburgh Penguins. They all had tough guys that played the majority of the regular season and in Boston's case, some people think Thornton may well have been the catalyst for them winning the cup. Personally, I think Hamhuis going down was the reason the Canucks lost but intimidation played a major role too.

I like Vandermeer but he won't be playing. If he does then great. Kassian as much as many people think, isn't an enforcer or tough guy, if you think he is, than expect many disappointments when he does fight.

You're kidding me right? You aren't going to watch any regular season games because you're going to be "Boycotting" the Canucks. yet, as soon as they make the playoffs you'll start watching again? They should put your face next to "bandwagoner" in the dictionary. But please, be my guest and don't watch 48 games thinking you're sticking it to the Canucks for a shortened season only to come crawling back come playoff time...

Archived