30 replies to this topic

#1 odjick22

odjick22

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Just listened to Gillis and he mentioned he doesn't think fans will boycott the team. I certainly haven't bought any merchandise or even plan to watch any games on TV or live at Rogers Arena. My reason has little to do with the lockout (really, nobody I knew gave a rat's arse) but it had to do with the concussion that Sedin received last year.

Gillis joined the organization and right away brought in some belligerence in Hordichuk (albeit not the feared enforcer I would have wanted) and now, we have Weise and Volpatti. There is absolutely no reason for an opposing player to not go and concuss a Sedin again. There is absolutely no reason for an opposing player to not run Schneider.

Gillis mentioned before that a successful season only happens if the Canucks win the Cup so what does it matter if we finish 1st in the division/conference/league? What does it matter if the Canucks are President's Cup winners? The only goal the Canucks should have is to win the Cup and to me, to not address the need for a feared enforcer to sit on the bench every single game will be the downfall and we (not me) will continue to see opposing teams not respecting any players on the Canucks. I don't care if the player gets 2 shifts, I don't care if he only sees 2 minutes of ice, the role is needed.

Someone needed to go out there and pummel Keith no matter if Keith wanted to fight. 2 points mean nothing if one of your leading players is out for 10 games and quite possibly cost you the opening round of the playoffs.

No worries Gillis, you'll probably see me watching playoff games if your team makes it...I'm that much of a sucker and I know that is what you depend on in this market.

#2 VoiceOfReason_

VoiceOfReason_

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Come full circle and close your CDC account

#3 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#4 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,277 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

What benefit do you get from not watching the games on TV?

I guess you can enjoy your boring evenings.
Posted Image

#5 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,604 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Double negatives are a no no.

Posted Image

Edited by elvis15, 14 January 2013 - 03:29 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#6 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Watch on tv at home or a bar or a resturant, but fans that are just going to go running back and buy tickets 1st game back and sell the arena out are just pathetic. The owners will literally just sit back and laugh, and know how pathetic some fans are.

I am not any less of a fan and am still going to watch like I usually do, but wouldn't go running back to them and buy tickets.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#7 Anti-Bettman

Anti-Bettman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

No worries Gillis, you'll probably see me watching playoff games if your team makes it...I'm that much of a sucker and I know that is what you depend on in this market.

You're kidding me right? You aren't going to watch any regular season games because you're going to be "Boycotting" the Canucks. yet, as soon as they make the playoffs you'll start watching again? They should put your face next to "bandwagoner" in the dictionary. But please, be my guest and don't watch 48 games thinking you're sticking it to the Canucks for a shortened season only to come crawling back come playoff time...

* 1st in Canucks Fantasy Hockey 2011/12*

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Just listened to Gillis and he mentioned he doesn't think fans will boycott the team. I certainly haven't bought any merchandise or even plan to watch any games on TV or live at Rogers Arena. My reason has little to do with the lockout (really, nobody I knew gave a rat's arse) but it had to do with the concussion that Sedin received last year.

Gillis joined the organization and right away brought in some belligerence in Hordichuk (albeit not the feared enforcer I would have wanted) and now, we have Weise and Volpatti. There is absolutely no reason for an opposing player to not go and concuss a Sedin again. There is absolutely no reason for an opposing player to not run Schneider.

Gillis mentioned before that a successful season only happens if the Canucks win the Cup so what does it matter if we finish 1st in the division/conference/league? What does it matter if the Canucks are President's Cup winners? The only goal the Canucks should have is to win the Cup and to me, to not address the need for a feared enforcer to sit on the bench every single game will be the downfall and we (not me) will continue to see opposing teams not respecting any players on the Canucks. I don't care if the player gets 2 shifts, I don't care if he only sees 2 minutes of ice, the role is needed.

Someone needed to go out there and pummel Keith no matter if Keith wanted to fight. 2 points mean nothing if one of your leading players is out for 10 games and quite possibly cost you the opening round of the playoffs.

Your post is nonsensical and fairly moronic. You are boycotting watching the regular season because no one beat up Duncan Keith. Is that right? I'm sure Gillis will run out and pick up some useless plug so you'll watch.
Posted Image

#9 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Watch on tv at home or a bar or a resturant, but fans that are just going to go running back and buy tickets 1st game back and sell the arena out are just pathetic. The owners will literally just sit back and laugh, and know how pathetic some fans are.

I am not any less of a fan and am still going to watch like I usually do, but wouldn't go running back to them and buy tickets.

I'm not sure if it is considered running back. Like I would run back to them and watch them. But at the same time, even when there was a lockout, i did my own thing.

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#10 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 69,228 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Especially on Sunday!

307mg00.jpg

#11 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

What did either the owners or players do to hurt you? I'm confused as to why anyone would boycott.

#12 j3ff

j3ff

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

My Dad's financial advisor offered us box seat tickets for the season opener on Saturday against Anaheim.

I think the lockout could have been prevented, but its over and won't happen for at least 8 more years.

I'm not turning down free tickets. Somebody will end up using them either way and i'll be damned if its not me!!!

GO CANUCKS GO :towel:

#13 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,783 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

So... Sign Gino Odjick?
Posted Image

#14 odjick22

odjick22

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Kinda sad that people can only be not bored if they watch Canucks' games. That is a pretty sad life you lead.

#15 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

OP please tell me which of the recent Stanley Cup champions had an enforcer who actually played a role and wasn't in the press box almost every game. In the playoffs you have to have depth and grit, not a one trick pony who will waste a roster spot and be easy to skate around when he is on the ice. Gillis has recognized our need for toughness by finding tough players who can also play hockey, much like other teams have. For example: Zack Kassian, who has shown offensive skills and physicality and Jim Vandermeer who is hardworking and solid defensively. If you want to win you need players who are tough to play against, not just tough to fight.

#16 odjick22

odjick22

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Your post is nonsensical and fairly moronic. You are boycotting watching the regular season because no one beat up Duncan Keith. Is that right? I'm sure Gillis will run out and pick up some useless plug so you'll watch.

Read again Einstein. I wrote what I wrote because of the fact that teams can go out and do whatever they want to any Canuck without any fear to do so. Keith, of all the cowards in the league, wasn't afraid to do anything, why would any other player be afraid?

#17 odjick22

odjick22

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

OP please tell me which of the recent Stanley Cup champions had an enforcer who actually played a role and wasn't in the press box almost every game. In the playoffs you have to have depth and grit, not a one trick pony who will waste a roster spot and be easy to skate around when he is on the ice. Gillis has recognized our need for toughness by finding tough players who can also play hockey, much like other teams have. For example: Zack Kassian, who has shown offensive skills and physicality and Jim Vandermeer who is hardworking and solid defensively. If you want to win you need players who are tough to play against, not just tough to fight.

To answer your question, Boston Bruins, Chicago Black Hawks and Pittsburgh Penguins. They all had tough guys that played the majority of the regular season and in Boston's case, some people think Thornton may well have been the catalyst for them winning the cup. Personally, I think Hamhuis going down was the reason the Canucks lost but intimidation played a major role too.

I like Vandermeer but he won't be playing. If he does then great. Kassian as much as many people think, isn't an enforcer or tough guy, if you think he is, than expect many disappointments when he does fight.

Edited by odjick22, 14 January 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#18 odjick22

odjick22

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Maybe I shouldn't say Kassian isn't a tough guy. He will drop the gloves but against the majority of the enforcers in the league, he won't fair that well. Hopefully Vandermeer can give him some tips.

#19 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

To answer your question, Boston Bruins, Chicago Black Hawks and Pittsburgh Penguins. They all had tough guys that played the majority of the regular season and in Boston's case, some people think Thornton may well have been the catalyst for them winning the cup. Personally, I think Hamhuis going down was the reason the Canucks lost but intimidation played a major role too.

I like Vandermeer but he won't be playing. If he does then great. Kassian as much as many people think, isn't an enforcer or tough guy, if you think he is, than expect many disappointments when he does fight.

Some people are idiots.

#20 odjick22

odjick22

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

You're kidding me right? You aren't going to watch any regular season games because you're going to be "Boycotting" the Canucks. yet, as soon as they make the playoffs you'll start watching again? They should put your face next to "bandwagoner" in the dictionary. But please, be my guest and don't watch 48 games thinking you're sticking it to the Canucks for a shortened season only to come crawling back come playoff time...

I have supported the team for almost 30 years so take your "bandwagoner" crap somewhere else. My lack of support goes beyond not just watching games, do you read well?

#21 nucks_rule1

nucks_rule1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

sucks to be you.
GO CANUCKS GO
Posted Image
my thread!

100th post on September 9th 2008
1000th post on june 24th 2010

THANK YOU MIKE GILLIS FOR GREATEST OFF SEASON EVER!

HANK= H(ART ROSS)

#22 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,277 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Kinda sad that people can only be not bored if they watch Canucks' games. That is a pretty sad life you lead.

HAHAHA.

To intentionally avoid watching games would result in boring evenings.

I spend many a Friday and Saturday night having some beers and pizza with friends watching hockey. If I were to 'boycott' the NHL, I would miss out on any of the social aspects of it.
Posted Image

#23 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

No way in hell I'm boycotting, I know where I'll be Saturday!!!

#24 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,656 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Some people do lead sad lives and Canucks' games give a bit of relief from that.

To fill you in, I got out of an abusive marriage and had two young kids to care for, so was feeling overwhelmed. Then things got really bad and I was caring for my Mom (brain cancer) at the same time as my Dad (colon cancer). After running between jobs, rushing home to cook dinner, then to the hospice or hospital for chemo treatments, there was little left in the tank for me. Canucks (and Lions) were my world beyond my kids....so perhaps not bored, but deeply miss when there are no Canucks to follow. They were an important part of my happiness on some pretty "sad" days.

For some of us, it's like the air we breathe....it's a big part of our lives. So don't undermine that, despite your own intentions.

:)

Posted Image

#25 BCNeil

BCNeil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

I have supported the team for almost 30 years so take your "bandwagoner" crap somewhere else. My lack of support goes beyond not just watching games, do you read well?

So correct me if I am wrong. You have been a fan for 30 years.
Then out of the blue 4 days ago, you open an account here, just to say you aren't going to watch them on tv.

:picard:

#26 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Some people do lead sad lives and Canucks' games give a bit of relief from that.

To fill you in, I got out of an abusive marriage and had two young kids to care for, so was feeling overwhelmed. Then things got really bad and I was caring for my Mom (brain cancer) at the same time as my Dad (colon cancer). After running between jobs, rushing home to cook dinner, then to the hospice or hospital for chemo treatments, there was little left in the tank for me. Canucks (and Lions) were my world beyond my kids....so perhaps not bored, but deeply miss when there are no Canucks to follow. They were an important part of my happiness on some pretty "sad" days.

For some of us, it's like the air we breathe....it's a big part of our lives. So don't undermine that, despite your own intentions.

That's a lot to deal with at one time, your a strong gal and although I don't always agree with you your a great mod. Go Canucks. :)

Edited by Nino, 14 January 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#27 odjick22

odjick22

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

So correct me if I am wrong. You have been a fan for 30 years.
Then out of the blue 4 days ago, you open an account here, just to say you aren't going to watch them on tv.

:picard:

I applied for this account a while back but never posted. I tried to apply years ago but there was some sort of stipulation about email addresses so I didn't bother. I rarely visit the message board of this site because from my observation, this message board is overrun with immature little boys that are trying to be funny.

#28 odjick22

odjick22

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

I wish only the best for you and your family. I and the person that I was replying to was in no way meaning that kind of sadness.

Edited by odjick22, 14 January 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#29 odjick22

odjick22

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

HAHAHA.

To intentionally avoid watching games would result in boring evenings.

I spend many a Friday and Saturday night having some beers and pizza with friends watching hockey. If I were to 'boycott' the NHL, I would miss out on any of the social aspects of it.

Not boycotting the NHL, like I said, the lockout had little affect on me. Will still be watching other teams play. And to repeat a part of my original post, I haven't bought any Canucks (or NHL) merchandise for almost a full year now...not that the Canucks really care.

#30 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

I'm not sure if it is considered running back. Like I would run back to them and watch them. But at the same time, even when there was a lockout, i did my own thing.

I mean like the owners seeing a sellout first game, what are they going to think. They just going to laugh. I am glad hockey is back and am gonna watch it but. But we as fans should show that we are not little dogs that, who care about the game for years miss part of the season and no one thought of the fans and then once its back they know we will be back always.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.