The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider makes it look easy

ronningsback

Cory is a good goalie.He does the right things and when he plays he makes saves. Cory is a goalie. He is a goalie for the canucks and practices He is funny when he jokes on tv and is full of hockey funniness I'm sorry to anyone who spent the time to read this, bet you wish you had it back. Derp..

And that's why He will WIN A STANLEY CUP!

Im a bit confused...

Looking good in PRACTICE doesnt mean anything?

Does looking BAD in practice mean anything?

If practice means nothing why do we have it (ive wondered the same about the regular season)?

Im not a "team Luongo" or "team Schneider" guy, but shouldnt we be glad that hes looking better than lu in PRACTICE since it looks like he is the one were going to keep? Would you guys rather he looked BAD and Luo looked GOOD?

maybe it would be better if they both looked BAD in practice... its just practice after all. Why take it seriously?

<.< *wanders off*

Poor Schneider...I feel bad terrible for him that in two or three years' time when he tanks one playoff series the media and fans will s**t on his head just like they did with one of the best goalies of all-time.

Edit: Including some of you reading this post.

Poor Schneider...I feel bad terrible for him that in two or three years' time when he tanks one playoff series the media and fans will s**t on his head just like they did with one of the best goalies of all-time.

Edit: Including some of you reading this post.

Give it a rest.......

Back to the op, it's the same in games. He reads the play so well, he's almost always square to the shooter controls the rebounds and rarely has to make the big save. Making it look easy!!! I think that the thing a lot of Lou supporters don't understand, it's not that the D plays better for Cory it's that his rebound control and positioning is better and it makes the D look like they are not giving up a great chance.

Back when my son played goal (in minor hockey, it was the same thing. Most coaches didn't notice him because they all looked for the guy that looked flashier(?). He wasn't out of position much, therefore didn't have to make the "BIG" save. That's a good thing to have in a goalie. Don't over play the puck and good things happen. Although the "BIG" save is nice to see, most don't need to happen.

Firstly, it will take 3 consecutive years of tanking playoff series before anyone sh!ts on him, and they probably wouldn't anyways because Schneider seems like the humble type who would own up to his shortcomings.

Secondly, the Canucks have never employed one of the best goalies of all time.

Lou's not humble? He may be a bit over-dramatic, but he's never been anything but humble. Also, when the media is attacking you, it's only natural to react in a defensive manner or say the wrong thing in an awkward way that everyone blows out of proportion. All I'm saying is it seems there is a direct correlation between Vancouver media/fans and the effect it has on players, the exact reason Brodeur said he was happy to play in New Jersey his whole career.

I dunno man. The only time I can recall Luongo really taking ownership of a ghastly performance was when he was crying and said he let the team down after game 6 against Chicago in 2009. I felt bad for him then. After that it seemed he was throwing his team under the bus on occasion when we lost.

Luongo makes it look easy.

http://blogs.theprov...booths-absence/

Luongo shines in Canucks practice shootout; Schneider gives up four in five attempts

Maybe the Canucks should hang onto asterisk goaltender Roberto Luongo just for the shootouts this season.

The team ended its third day of training camp practice with a shootout, five players going at Luongo and five shooting on Schneider – the Canucks’ new No. 1 this season.

Yes, it’s ridiculously early, but the results were jarring:

Luongo, looking very sharp and totally relaxed, wasn’t beaten by any of the five shooters, while Schneider gave up four goals on five attempts.

Schneider’s only stop was on Jason Garrison, but Alex Edler, Dale Weise, Jannik Hansen and Chris Higgins managed to find the back of the net.

Luongo denied Jordan Schroeder, Mason Raymond, Kevin Bieksa, Keith Ballard and Zack Kassian.

The expectation was that Luongo would have been traded by now and would never have needed to report to the Canucks. But a deal is clearly taking longer to consummate that expected.

“There’s a lot of stuff out there and it’s key to not pay attention to it as much as you can,” said Luongo. “When I’m on the ice I’m having fun and enjoying being around the guys and putting the work in. That’s all that matters.”

Luongo, who’s had a mixed history with shootouts, said he practiced shootouts when he was working out on his own in Florida.

“I did a lot of them early in the lockout, when I was on my own,” he said. “Obviously, it wasn’t against NHLers, but it carried over and I felt pretty good today. But a shootout doesn’t mean a whole lot in the big scheme of things.”

Luongo said he hadn’t heard anything from the coaching staff about when he might play if he’s still a Canuck when the season opens.

“I’m just enjoying my time right now and working hard towards Saturday (the Canucks open their season against Anaheim),” he said. “I haven’t heard anything and I’m just going to keep doing my thing.”

Schneider, a close friend of Luongo as well as his teammate for the moment, said he’s not surprised his goaltending partner is handling the uncertain situation well.

“I think the past few years he’s become more laid back and just takes things as they come, so he doesn’t worry about what’s out of his control,” said Schneider. “He’s handled this with a lot of class and dignity. We’ve been rooming together in the hotel and it’s been just fine.

“Sometimes when you’re playing without a care you can play your best hockey. He’s an intense guy and he works really hard but I think he lets a lot of the potentially negative attention roll off his back and even use it as a motivating tool.”

Schneider – who’s still making the technical adjustments from playing in Switzerland during the lockout — said he’s looking forward to the intra-squad games on Wednesday and Thursday to give him a sense of how close he is to being ready to start the regular season on Saturday against visiting Anaheim.

“We’re trying to get as much into a condensed camp, so until you really get into a game situation that’s when you’ll find out what’s going well and what you need to work on,” he said.

Schneider said he hadn’t heard yet from the coach if he’s playing both weekend games (the Canucks play Edmonton on Sunday), but is preparing as if he is.

“I think you always have to approach it that way, regardless of what your situation is,” he said. “I think everyone is excited to get started here and that’s almost a good thing, to just jump right into it.”

With the absence for the third straight day of David Booth (groin), the Canucks’ lines and defence pairings were the same as Monday:

Forwards

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows

Raymond-Ebbett/Schroeder-Kassian

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Defence

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Edler

Ballard-Tanev

Alberts-Barker

Archived