The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks training camp thread

mrluongo

Hey, I did not notice a dedicated thread on the training camp, so I figured I would make one.

I went to the second day of camp, I posted this on HF also.

Ill upload some pictures later, but I woke up at 7:00am, and got to the stadium right when it started (coffin + muffins > life).

Prospects (early morning)

There were only two standouts, the first was frank Corrado (shocker), his skating is very very smooth, and has a much harder shot then people realize.

Actually his slapshot BROKE the glass very early on, which they had to replace after a hour or so.

The second standout was Joe Cannata who was very good in net, making significant amount of saves, but then again with no real nhl players, it's hard to judge. He has very good side 2 side movement.

Main Roster

Sedins - They were the sedins, crisp passing, movement and skating, not much to say here (except one redic pass by hank and goal by weise(drill) which got the crowd going).

Burrows - IMO He struggled for the majority of the camp, he fell down a few times, missed open nets, and skated slow (like he did not care). Then like a switch he turned it on and had a absolute snipe on a one timer near the end.

Raymond - Skated really well, made a few nice plays on the outside which he blew by tanev(I believe), Still fell down a ton with a few laughs by the crowd.

Ebbett - Similar to raymond without the falling, but needs to improve his passing significantly.

Kassian - He struggled badly today, Looked very slow, lost the puck many times, had a poor shot, and got outworked on both ends of the ice (on nearly all the drills), created very little, bad day

JS - His speed is clearly his number 1 attribute, he was flying out there and I noticed his defensive play was much much better, but still missed a ton of shots wide, and had issues making "plays" happen during the full line rushes near the end.

Booth - Was not on the ice.

Higgins - Did not notice him on the ice at all, like a ghost, not bad or good really, skated well just nothing happened.

Lappy - Smiles and giggles the whole time, skated very well, nothing stood out, overall solid.

Hansen - Did not see much of him, was focusing on others.

Volpatti - Same as Hansen

Malhotra - Skated much better this year then last year, crisp passes also, impressive day.

Weise - His skating has improved, His turn speed was one of the most obvious improvements, I think it's because he was in mid season form already, He WILL be on the fourth line this year starting.

Bieksa - Solid but sloppy, Clear rush, skated odd, fell down at least 3 times, barely hit (surprising). Except of course then he absolutely BULLED over luongo, luongo was down for a bit, both ended up laughing.

Hamhuis - Steady, best skater on the team by far, fluent, he is ready for the season. (expect Bieksa + Hamhuis pairing)

Edler - Never got beat once, was the 2nd best D-man today behind garrison, played strong and smart. (Garrison WILL pair with Edler)

Garrison - I don't have enough words to talk about how good garrison was today, He was drilling everything that moved, he crushed raymond on at least 3 occasions, and absolutely torpedoed Kassian near the end. He scored a nice goal early on, and was by far the best positional D-man in all the drills, This guy was a complete treat. Also like to mention, garrison unloaded some BOMBS at the end of practice, nearly hit like 3 people in the crowd when it reamed around the glass, had a few snipes, His shot was like Salo, powerful beyond words.

Ballard - Seemed much more comfortable, played solid, skated well, improved his shot.

Tanev - Invisible Tanev, nothing stood out good or bad.

Cory Schneider - He is one quick *********, His turning from side to side along the posts is lightning quick, was very good positionally, made a few nice saves (no highlight reals like.....)

Luongo - Made a few brilliant saves, and also joked around when a puck was going in slow motion where he leg it go between his legs. Very quick and solid, and got a nice LUUU chant when he went on the ice.

Kesler - Came out at the end to a huge cheer, skated slowing, and shot slowly, barely any movement.

I hope that helped guys.

I remember on Global TV during the sports segment of the news the sportscaster said that morning/noon training camp and night scrimmages are open to the public. Did I hear wrong (I did have a bit of scotch at the time, just saying) or is that actually true? If so, where? When?

Kassian's back must still be bothering him. All those things you said (being slow, poor shot, losing the puck, etc) point to his back not being 100%. Hopefully he recovers quickly. We may need him in the top 6 with Kesler and potentially Booth being out.

I got there slightly late, was the glass not broken by Higgins the day before and they just replaced it today or was another glass broken?

In the first group, Gordon probably had the worst day having troubles controlling the puck, although he seemed to be having a good time and laughing it all off. Cannata definitely looked pretty solid in net and I sure hope he was just impressive rather than the inability to score from our younger players.

My impressions of Schroeder aren't really great, but that's just based on a couple of training camp days. He would get outmuscled rather easily and although he has some quickness, he's going to have to show a lot of talent to overcome his size issue. He was just plastered on the boards a couple of times by Alberts on the first day. Whenever he was part of faceoff drills, he was getting beat quite easily (even if it was against some pretty decent faceoff men in Manny and Lappy).

Raymond, Higgins and Hansen were probably the more aggressive players during camp so far with them throwing the most hits or getting hit. I'm not the biggest Raymond fan, but other than the usual falling, he has worked pretty hard in camp so far and had some decent shooting.

I agree that Garrison and Edler have probably been the more impressive dmen on the team so far on both ends of the rink. Barker hasn't shown much offensively so far, so he better solidify his defensive game if he expects ice time.

Luongo, hard to say if he's mentally checked out or not. He doesn't seem to be taking this camp seriously or maybe he's just off to his usual slow start. He was beat quite often, but I'm not too sure how he compared to Schneider as I was sitting closer to Luongo's end.

Archived