The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton Fans strike again

logic

If the poll was best prepared for the first week of the season, the Oil might make sense.

And their young bodies may recover rapidly between games during a compressed schedule.

When it comes to stamina and withstanding the NHL grind however...

You've got to wonder about the demographic voting.

Veteran teams that have played together for years don't need to develop chemistry.

If the season were 20 games long, all bets are off, but 48 games would seem like enough to really reveal the cracks in teams with as many areas that still need improvement as the Oilers have...

Ldn2y.png

So basically, a team without a goaltender or any defense is going to be "best prepared". Better hope they can score 7 goals a game.

I did vote for the Canucks. Not just because they're my team but because I feel they have actually prepared.

1. They made good depth signings(Our D has 9 capable players)

2. With the Luongo trade we will address our second line issues.

3. We have much needed rest we haven't gotten the last 2 years.

i voted for the oilers.

canucks have NO second line. kesler is out, booth is injured, and the only guys "on the roster" we had playing were kassian, schneider, raymond (not sure if he ever played a game), tanev... (i may be missing some so I am admitting im probably missing a few guys that are on the roster. however i did not include schroeder et al). also edler, garrison, kassian are all coming back from injury?

look at the oilers on the other hand, they had all their young superstars playing in the A and they were destroying it.

its a shotgun start for a 48 game season, and right now the oilers are the best prepared

I voted for Edmonton, too.

a) They're full of young talent that will only get better and veterans who can't play much worse.

B) They added Justin Schultz (and now Mark Fistric) to help fill one of the gaping holes in their blueline.

c) Their core young guys have been playing and practising together while a lot of other teams sat around, not playing a single competitive game.

EDIT: Side note, why is b ) an emotion?

i voted for the oilers.

canucks have NO second line. kesler is out, booth is injured, and the only guys "on the roster" we had playing were kassian, schneider, raymond (not sure if he ever played a game), tanev... (i may be missing some so I am admitting im probably missing a few guys that are on the roster. however i did not include schroeder et al). also edler, garrison, kassian are all coming back from injury?

look at the oilers on the other hand, they had all their young superstars playing in the A and they were destroying it.

its a shotgun start for a 48 game season, and right now the oilers are the best prepared

Ldn2y.png

So basically, a team without a goaltender or any defense is going to be "best prepared". Better hope they can score 7 goals a game.

I did vote for the Canucks. Not just because they're my team but because I feel they have actually prepared.

1. They made good depth signings(Our D has 9 capable players)

2. With the Luongo trade we will address our second line issues.

3. We have much needed rest we haven't gotten the last 2 years.

Why would the OP be mad about this? LOL

The entire top 6 were playing hockey. Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Gagner, and Hemsky.

Smyth and Dubnyk played in the Spengler Cup. Smid played overseas. A few others as well.

They are the most ready. It does not mean it will translate to wins automatically though.

Yes, Edmonton WILL be best prepared for the 48 game season. Why? Simple.

They are a very young team and so they won't tire out easily and can get off to a fast start easily. While the oldies will have to struggle to find their feet, and by then it would be halfway through the shortened season, a.k.a. Canucks slump at the beginning of a season.

I feel Edmonton may actually surprise some teams and make the playoffs. Same goes for the Flames. Tough division we have now especially with what Minny has done to their team.

I agree with your analysis on Edmonton. Good young players, key players have been playing since October, it only makes sense they'll start quick. I do think everyone is over rating Minnesota, though. Parise and Suter aren't enough to get that joke of a team into the playoffs.

Yes, the Edmonton youngsters have been playing together, scoring lots of points... ...and yet, as an AHL team, they were barely above .500.

If those guys can't even elevate their team to dominate the AHL, I don't see how the same group will turn their NHL team into an instant contender.

I voted Edmonton too. Partly because I believe it, but it's also a good thing to have the 'Who's #1?' focus directed elsewhere. The Canucks could do well to fly under the radar this year. Let the other teams expend their energy against EDM and LA.

Archived