The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lance Armstrong the Fraud

Harbinger

I never liked him even when everyone thought he was telling the truth...but my cousins bought Livestrong bracelets, t-shirts...his autograph off of Ebay...when they found out he was lying it hit them as hard as it would a 5 year old learning Santa Claus isn't real.

No one is making the claim that the world is a worse place because he is in it...where are you getting this from? And "their victories would have been just as tarnished"...you know this how? That's right you don't...his cheating is the issue here, not the fact that he won a lot or anyone is trying to make an example of him. Other cyclists were caught doping in between the time Lance started lying his ass off and the time he decided to come clean...while there are impure elements in cycling, I'd bet that they are in the minority.

Miguel Indurain won 5 consecutive Tour de France races. He is a member of the Cycling Hall of Fame and never once tested positive for anything resembling PEDs. He won a lot too, but the difference is Indurain didn't make a spectacle of himself. If Lance had not been so flamboyant and defiant he might not have gotten caught at all. I mentioned Indurain because he is an example of a clean cyclist who was successful. Lance Armstrong wasn't "made an example of"...he made his own bed...and now he has to lie in it. Greg LeMond is another example of a cyclist with a clean record, who is a revered member of the professional cycling community who never made a big deal out of himself when he was riding.

Its time for Lance to take his Money and go live in an obscure country where he won't be recognized easily and live out his days away from anything that resembles a spotlight.

Good lessons for all those who place celebrities onto pedestels, believing that their accomplishments somehow make them better people.

I personally have had zero interest in competative cycling and I actually believe that there should be two of every sport (One where roids etc are legal and another where none is) I know this is not realistic but hey if some people want to destroy their bodies for profit and other's entertainment they should be allowed to do so somewhere.

Miguel Indurain won 5 consecutive Tour de France races. He is a member of the Cycling Hall of Fame and never once tested positive for anything resembling PEDs. He won a lot too, but the difference is Indurain didn't make a spectacle of himself. If Lance had not been so flamboyant and defiant he might not have gotten caught at all. I mentioned Indurain because he is an example of a clean cyclist who was successful. Lance Armstrong wasn't "made an example of"...he made his own bed...and now he has to lie in it. Greg LeMond is another example of a cyclist with a clean record, who is a revered member of the professional cycling community who never made a big deal out of himself when he was riding.

I agree that it's his flamboyancy that got him caught; but is that not the same reason why he was such a high profile. Lance Armstrong brought competative cycling to a world stage. Before his over the top tale, the following for cycling was made up mostly of enthusiasts. Now everyone and their dog knows about Lance and the Tour. As successfull as those other athletes are, they were never as famous as Lance.

I'm not saying that they're wrong to persecute him in the way they are. I'm saying that all of this hype is due to his fame, which was majorly created by his attitude and a mountain of lies. Is it such a strech then, to believe that International Cycling Organizations are using this as an opportunity to crack down on doping? If they are, would that not be considered being "made an example of"? Not that it's a bad thing, but it seems to fit the bill for me.

I agree that it's his flamboyancy that got him caught; but is that not the same reason why he was such a high profile. Lance Armstrong brought competative cycling to a world stage. Before his over the top tale, the following for cycling was made up mostly of enthusiasts. Now everyone and their dog knows about Lance and the Tour. As successfull as those other athletes are, they were never as famous as Lance.

I'm not saying that they're wrong to persecute him in the way they are. I'm saying that all of this hype is due to his fame, which was majorly created by his attitude and a mountain of lies. Is it such a strech then, to believe that International Cycling Organizations are using this as an opportunity to crack down on doping? If they are, would that not be considered being "made an example of"? Not that it's a bad thing, but it seems to fit the bill for me.

Lol it wasn't my money...I don't give a damn...lol I told them well let's see so far that's Alex Rodriguez and now Lance Armstrong that have disappointed you...that's twice now you've been duped by "celebrities". If it were me, there wouldn't be a third. lol.

not to derail this thread... but I think people worship celebrities/athletes too much to the point where they forget that these are people we are talking about, so they are subject to flaws (and in some cases, major flaws.) Even if your hero was a parent, even they have flaws and aren't perfect. So to expect nothing but perfection from these people/heros is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Archived