The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lance Armstrong the Fraud

Harbinger

We all know he was a cheater, the fact that he was doping is nothing new, which is why I won't need to watch or even care about this show. He had his chance to come clean many years ago, instead he went after snitches and was a bully. There's no taking away from the fact that his public image has rightfully taken a thrashing and it wouldn't surprise me if his cancer was a result of doping. His public problems are self-imposed and I don't feel bad for that.

Still, as a few others mention, due to his donations to cancer research and philanthropy, I can't be too hard on the guy. I don't care so much that Lance Armstrong is taking an image beating (should be a clue to others not to cheat), but I hope LiveStrong continues to do well without him. At least Lance had some other people in mind besides himself.

No where did I say he did not work hard .. it just speaks to the fact that the American dream must be achieved at any cost .. even if that means lying and cheating .. people applaud his charity work as do I .. it still does not take away from the fact he is a cheat and a fraud ..

Please stop speaking out of your rear. There's been so much anti-American hate on these boards the last few weeks its sickening. The "American Dream" isn't to cheat, steal, or lie your way to the top. The dream is to have a job that you don't mind, live comfortably and have a family that loves you for most Americans. For many immigrants it is to get a job that allows you to send money home, to allow them to be able to have a better life. It varies person to person, but it most certainly isn't the selfish view you stereo-typically plaster on anyone from the 50 states

Wow your attitude is horrible. I'd try to point out what other users have said about the hundreds of millions he has raised for cancer research, but you only want to crusify him for doing what was done by every other cyclist in the era, and then trying to deny it. Of course he wanted to hide what he may have done(still no positive tests) but to judge him solely on that is asinine. Doping or no, he completed a task many of could never in riding the Tour, even after fighting cancer, and then raised so much for a health issue that affects everyone in the world. So please leave your extremely pessimistic view at the door and appreciate the good he's done for the world

Do his good deeds outweigh his bad deeds? Maybe. I think the biggest problem that people have with his 10+ years of lying is that the foundation of the LiveStrong Foundation (previously Lance Armstrong Foundation) was built on his cycling victories. This was a man who came back from cancer and proceeded to win 7 Tour de France titles in his career, albeitly through cheating as we have now found out. There's no denying though the good he's done in raising awareness and money for cancer research through his foundation. I think they have raised over half a billion dollars since it was founded. But it still comes down to the fact that people, maybe particularly for people who have unfortunately been inflicted with various types of cancer, looked up to Lance for inspiration. There must be tons of people who are cancer patients who look up to Lance as a hero. A man who won his battle with cancer and went farther even as to compete in those championships and win those titles. I'm sure for those people, they are probably the most disappointed ones today.

I remember reading his autobiographical book "It's Not About the Bike" a long time ago and felt really inspired by his story. I wasn't able to relate directly to his struggles, but to read about them and how he eventually conquered them to win championship titles was quite inspiring to say the least. So following the news today of how he did indeed use PED's during his career, I have to say for me, I am disappointed, but can appreciate what he's done for cancer research. It's not like he's the first athlete to dope either I guess. I just hope that despite all this, people can still support the foundation and stuff.

Archived