#151 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Phelps is next!

Phelps's infamous "bong photo" nearly did him in already.

Posted Image

People made SUCH a big deal about this. Damn man...I'd smoke a bong with Michael Phelps...haha.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 22 January 2013 - 12:43 PM.

Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#152 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Posted Image

People made SUCH a big deal about this. Damn man...I'd smoke a bong with Michael Phelps...haha.

since weed makes everything better: food, movies etc. Imagine how much better winning 8 gold medals would be... high!
Posted Image

#153 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,354 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just smokin a fatty , with Ross Rebagliati :lol:

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#154 dudeone

dudeone

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Armstrong Sued By Book Buyers Following Confession

By Jackie Willis | ET OnlineThu, Jan 24, 2013 8:39 AM PST

http://tv.yahoo.com/...-163900654.html

Trouble is still finding Lance Armstrong as two men who bought the cyclist's book prior to his doping confession to Oprah Winfrey are suing Armstrong, saying they "would not have purchased the books had they known the true facts concerning Armstrong’s misconduct and his admitted involvement in a sports doping scandal."

A Republican political consultant in Sacramento, Rob Stutzman, and a professional chef, Jonathan Wheeler, filed a federal class-action lawsuit in California on Tuesday against the 41-year-old athlete, who was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles late last year, the Los Angeles Times reports. "Stutzman bought the book in California and read it cover to cover. Although Stutzman does not buy or read many books, he found Armstrong’s book incredibly compelling and recommended the book to several friends," the lawsuit reads (via LA Times).

Stutzman even met Armstrong while serving with former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2005, and reportedly thanked the cyclist for being an inspiration. Wheeler was also "so impressed" with Armstrong's book that he bought the second one.

Armstrong currently has two books out titled It's Not About the Bike and Every Second Counts.

#155 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Armstrong Sued By Book Buyers Following Confession

By Jackie Willis | ET OnlineThu, Jan 24, 2013 8:39 AM PST

http://tv.yahoo.com/...-163900654.html

Trouble is still finding Lance Armstrong as two men who bought the cyclist's book prior to his doping confession to Oprah Winfrey are suing Armstrong, saying they "would not have purchased the books had they known the true facts concerning Armstrong’s misconduct and his admitted involvement in a sports doping scandal."
A Republican political consultant in Sacramento, Rob Stutzman, and a professional chef, Jonathan Wheeler, filed a federal class-action lawsuit in California on Tuesday against the 41-year-old athlete, who was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles late last year, the Los Angeles Timesreports. "Stutzman bought the book in California and read it cover to cover. Although Stutzman does not buy or read many books, he found Armstrong’s book incredibly compelling and recommended the book to several friends," the lawsuit reads (via LA Times).
Stutzman even met Armstrong while serving with former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2005, and reportedly thanked the cyclist for being an inspiration. Wheeler was also "so impressed" with Armstrong's book that he bought the second one.
Armstrong currently has two books out titled It's Not About the Bike and Every Second Counts.

I don't think this won't hold water in court, otherwise it would open the door for anyone wanting to sue over a movie, book, etc. that (while entertaining) wasn't the story the watcher/reader thought it was (based on movie trailers, advertisements, etc.)

#156 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,018 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Lance is reaping the harvest of the deceit he has sown .. I fear it is only the beginning ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#157 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Posted Image

This was the stupidest "scandal" (didn't even want to use that word) in recent memory.
The guy was a national hero, smoked some dope, then all of a sudden a ton of people hated him... like what? People really have their priorities in a jumble.

The guy must have a wicked lung capacity too, could probably rip through that thing no problem :lol:

Edited by Jägermeister, 26 January 2013 - 01:27 PM.

Jagermeister.jpg

#158 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Who cares, take away his accolades and get on with it, no need to patronize the guy.
Sure he lied, but he's done so much for cancer research and for charity, I don't see how people can be so hostile towards a man who has done so much good.
He's raised over $325 million for cancer research, I think I can forgive him for doping. Plus think of it this way, without his doping he wouldn't have been such an influence and his organization would have not been nearly as successful as it is.

Yeah man, a fraud became rich on the back of a disease. He knew to choose/create a Cancer Foundation because that would generate him the most money. Is there proof he even had Cancer? Cause people never fake that either, right? Oh, but as long as it creates money for Cancer Research, that's ok, right? Cause cheating to win competitions for years and years is no problem....Popular Comment? What a joke. He raised 325 M, yeah, ok, and POCKETED how much FOR HIMSELF in that alloted amount of time?
Posted Image WHen idiots think numbers are words, I do believe in 2012 for cleansing Earth of the idiots

#159 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Lance has a net worth of about 125 million, so he obviously did quite well for himself. It's great what he did for cancer, but he also banked over a hundred million + from cheating and lying as well. If anything, people should be allowed to be upset with him over that.

#160 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Yeah man, a fraud became rich on the back of a disease. He knew to choose/create a Cancer Foundation because that would generate him the most money. Is there proof he even had Cancer? Cause people never fake that either, right? Oh, but as long as it creates money for Cancer Research, that's ok, right? Cause cheating to win competitions for years and years is no problem....Popular Comment? What a joke. He raised 325 M, yeah, ok, and POCKETED how much FOR HIMSELF in that alloted amount of time?

Here we go again.. :picard:

#161 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Here we go again.. :picard:

Now he's been caught again in his story to Oprah. So the guy is a complete Bu&*sh(*77er. I don't believe he had cancer either. Not even a little bit.

Posted Image

#162 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Now he's been caught again in his story to Oprah. So the guy is a complete Bu&*sh(*77er. I don't believe he had cancer either. Not even a little bit.

Yep, Lance The Liar.......still trying to BS people. Not that I think most folks believe anything that comes out of his mouth anymore anyway. Pathetic excuse of a human.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 28 January 2013 - 10:53 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#163 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Pathetic athlete, great philanthropist.
Posted Image

#164 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Pathetic athlete, great philanthropist.

I don't see what's so great about his philanthropism if he cheated to get to where he is, cheated to earn the money to support the cancer research...and categorically denied doping for several years while lying through his teeth. Lance Armstrong is the worst kind of person in the world. He gave his ill-gotten money to cancer research, then he started that Livestrong BS...with the bands and all that...made people feel sorry for him, cultivated this "iconic" image for himself and then tells everyone he's been blowing smoke up their ass about nearly everything. He's a pitiful pseudo-athlete, a horrible philanthropist and a pathological liar. He deserves every bit of this vilification. Admitting you did something wrong on the 100th time after 99 times before denying doesn't make you courageous on the 100th time, it makes you a stone-cold coward for the 99 times before.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 29 January 2013 - 08:59 AM.

Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#165 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

I don't see what's so great about his philanthropism if he cheated to get to where he is, cheated to earn the money to support the cancer research...and categorically denied doping for several years while lying through his teeth. Lance Armstrong is the worst kind of person in the world. He gave his ill-gotten money to cancer research, then he started that Livestrong bull...with the bands and all that...made people feel sorry for him, cultivated this "iconic" image for himself and then tells everyone he's been blowing smoke up their ass about nearly everything. He's a pitiful pseudo-athlete, a horrible philanthropist and a pathological liar. He deserves every bit of this vilification. Admitting you did something wrong on the 100th time after 99 times before denying doesn't make you courageous on the 100th time, it makes you a stone-cold coward for the 99 times before.

Posted Image

TL;DR version

Lance is a dirtbag
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#166 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Finally going to weigh in on this.

My wife and I went out for breakfast on Sunday and discussed this whole thing. She doesn't care about sports and my interest in cycling faded about 11 years ago, when I last trained for an Ironman (oh to be in shape and miserable again).

Anyway, my wife is very black and white on all drugs for either recreational purposes or steroid use. However, we both agreed that in this scenario, perhaps the end does justify the means. He's stripped of his titles, so he won't be remembered in cylcing for anything but a disgrace to the sport.

However, he raised so much money for cancer research. Did he do it by cheating? Absolutely. Yet, on the totem pole of "badness," he took steroids in cycling and raised hundreds of millions of dollars for cancer research.

It's cycling people. I like cycling, but to be able to raise any money for cancer research, let alone millions, for stepping on a bike and peddling is quite the feet.

Very torn on this, because I ordinarily do not support any athletes that have taking steroids. But for this, I feel differently.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#167 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

I don't see what's so great about his philanthropism if he cheated to get to where he is, cheated to earn the money to support the cancer research...and categorically denied doping for several years while lying through his teeth. Lance Armstrong is the worst kind of person in the world. He gave his ill-gotten money to cancer research, then he started that Livestrong BS...with the bands and all that...made people feel sorry for him, cultivated this "iconic" image for himself and then tells everyone he's been blowing smoke up their ass about nearly everything. He's a pitiful pseudo-athlete, a horrible philanthropist and a pathological liar. He deserves every bit of this vilification. Admitting you did something wrong on the 100th time after 99 times before denying doesn't make you courageous on the 100th time, it makes you a stone-cold coward for the 99 times before.

Ditto the Posted Image

Lance Armstrong is a sad and pathetic excuse of a 'man'. And the black mark(s) that will forever follow him around are well deserved. He is a disgrace to humankind and deserves to be treated as such. He's a coward and is still lying to the world at large. He had the perfect excuse to come clean (as it were) and chose to continue the lies. Why should anyone ever look at him again with anything but pure disdain and distaste?

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 29 January 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#168 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Finally going to weigh in on this.

My wife and I went out for breakfast on Sunday and discussed this whole thing. She doesn't care about sports and my interest in cycling faded about 11 years ago, when I last trained for an Ironman (oh to be in shape and miserable again).

Anyway, my wife is very black and white on all drugs for either recreational purposes or steroid use. However, we both agreed that in this scenario, perhaps the end does justify the means. He's stripped of his titles, so he won't be remembered in cylcing for anything but a disgrace to the sport.

However, he raised so much money for cancer research. Did he do it by cheating? Absolutely. Yet, on the totem pole of "badness," he took steroids in cycling and raised hundreds of millions of dollars for cancer research.

It's cycling people. I like cycling, but to be able to raise any money for cancer research, let alone millions, for stepping on a bike and peddling is quite the feet.

Very torn on this, because I ordinarily do not support any athletes that have taking steroids. But for this, I feel differently.

Dude the money raised for research isn't the problem...it's how he raised the money...dude cheated to make the money, made a big production out of himself and his foundation, his charity, all while lying about being clean. I don't see how the sport in question being cycling makes what he did any less wrong.
Posted Image

#169 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Dude the money raised for research isn't the problem...it's how he raised the money...dude cheated to make the money, made a big production out of himself and his foundation, his charity, all while lying about being clean. I don't see how the sport in question being cycling makes what he did any less wrong.

And he shouldn't get full credit for all that. There are plenty of others donating their time and money to the cause.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#170 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Would the world be better off if Lance Armstrong had never existed?
Discuss.

Jagermeister.jpg

#171 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Would the world be better off if Lance Armstrong had never existed?
Discuss.

Far too deep a subject for me right now. I had this exact question asked me about Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco...I'll give the same answer to you I gave when asked about them...That's not for me to say.
Posted Image

#172 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

First off, and I'm sorry as this is one of my pet peeves, but my name isn't "dude," nor is anyone I have ever met.Now that that's out of the way, like I said, I'm torn on this, but at the end of the day, he raised hundreds of millions for cancer, playing a sport. And it's not cycling that makes it any less wrong or right for me. If Saku Koivu was breaking records all these years, was all over the news, raised hundreds of millions for cancer, and then came out that he was juicing the whole time, I would feel exactly the same. "Juiced Finish Athlete Raises Hundreds of Millions for Cancer Research for Putting a Puck In a Net."Take Armstrong out of the record books for cylcing. I agree with that. He is absolutely not a perfect person and should see the reprecussion for his actions. However, good on him for the amount raised for cancer research.

#173 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

First off, and I'm sorry as this is one of my pet peeves, but my name isn't "dude," nor is anyone I have ever met.Now that that's out of the way, like I said, I'm torn on this, but at the end of the day, he raised hundreds of millions for cancer, playing a sport. And it's not cycling that makes it any less wrong or right for me. If Saku Koivu was breaking records all these years, was all over the news, raised hundreds of millions for cancer, and then came out that he was juicing the whole time, I would feel exactly the same. "Juiced Finish Athlete Raises Hundreds of Millions for Cancer Research for Putting a Puck In a Net."Take Armstrong out of the record books for cylcing. I agree with that. He is absolutely not a perfect person and should see the reprecussion for his actions. However, good on him for the amount raised for cancer research.

First off...you need to mellow out on the "pet peeve" thing. Life's far too short to get upset over something so ridiculously petty. Second of all, he raised millions of dollars for cancer while CHEATING at a sport. There is a massive difference.
Posted Image

#174 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

First off...you need to mellow out on the "pet peeve" thing. Life's far too short to get upset over something so ridiculously petty. Second of all, he raised millions of dollars for cancer while CHEATING at a sport. There is a massive difference.

Not to mention lying, bullying, suing and threatening anyone who dared to out him for his cheating, doping ways.

#175 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Not to mention lying, bullying, suing and threatening anyone who dared to out him for his cheating, doping ways.

Bingo Bingo Bingo....that's what makes this ten times worse...the guy slandered and libeled annd threatened anyone who didn't want to go along with the lies. Lying is one thing, going to those lengths to protect the lie is quite another.
Posted Image

#176 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

And as I've said, he'll get what's coming to him for what he's done, as he should.

#177 Bigturk8

Bigturk8

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

The way he got their was dishonest. But cycling is nothing in the end. The worst that he cause was some hurt feelings. If he hadn't won all of those races, the person who did would have been doping as well. They may have cracked down on it now, but in Lances time, doping was so prevelent in the competative cycling community. The only reason he was attacked so fiercely is because he won so often and he is a high profile that they can make an example out of. So I don't believe he took anything away from the competition because their victories would have been just as tarnished.

The end result; However, aided in such an enormous way to a very real problem. I'm not condoning the use of peformance enhancing drugs, but to suggest that the world is a worse place because he is in it, is outrageous.
TL.jpg

#178 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

how many of you donated to his charity?

#179 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

The way he got their was dishonest. But cycling is nothing in the end. The worst that he cause was some hurt feelings. If he hadn't won all of those races, the person who did would have been doping as well. They may have cracked down on it now, but in Lances time, doping was so prevelent in the competative cycling community. The only reason he was attacked so fiercely is because he won so often and he is a high profile that they can make an example out of. So I don't believe he took anything away from the competition because their victories would have been just as tarnished.

The end result; However, aided in such an enormous way to a very real problem. I'm not condoning the use of peformance enhancing drugs, but to suggest that the world is a worse place because he is in it, is outrageous.

What about the talented cyclists who never even got a chance to compete at Tour de France level because they chose to ride clean? That's a whole lot more than 'hurt feelings'. Not everyone on the Tour was doping...and those that weren't never got to play on a level playing field. What about what those people lost, and potentially lost, because of people like Lance Armstrong and his fellow dopers?

He's being 'attacked so fiercely' because not only was he doping, he was lying about it and bullying and threatening those who might have outed his behavior. That shows a distinct lack of character above and beyond the doping. And he is STILL lying about it. And as such, he deserves to be as reviled as he is being now.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 29 January 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#180 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

No one is making the claim that the world is a worse place because he is in it...where are you getting this from? And "their victories would have been just as tarnished"...you know this how? That's right you don't...his cheating is the issue here, not the fact that he won a lot or anyone is trying to make an example of him. Other cyclists were caught doping in between the time Lance started lying his ass off and the time he decided to come clean...while there are impure elements in cycling, I'd bet that they are in the minority.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.