#1 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

POPULAR

Let me start off by saying that this isn't a troll thread, I am not suggesting that the Canucks blow up the organization and trade away the Sedins and Edler for prospects. Nor am I suggesting there isn't a chance the Canucks could go all the way this year.

But...

What's the one thing you keep hearing CONSISTANTLY about the Canucks from someone who is not a fan of them? It's not that they aren't tough enough, or they're to thin on defence. Both these statements may be true, but the thing I keep hearing over and over is : "Their window is coming to an end"

Whether you agree with it or not, you have to acknowledge it.

Years of sketchy drafting have led to a prospect pool have led to Jensen, Schroeder, Corrado, and Gaunce as the future of the team. That isn't bad, but chances are they arent going to take over for the Sedins and Kesler and Burrows, all of whom are slowly aging.

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make here is this. When people found out there was going to be a 48 game schedule, most of the initial reaction was that the Canucks had to go balls to the walls to ice their best possible team for the playoffs, which is what we, the fans would like. No arguing that.

But what happens, when someone decides to take liberties on Daniel Sedin again, and our D core disintegrates? Whats the point of making the playoffs and being eliminated in the first round, only to get the 23rd Overall draft pick? Each year we don't win the cup, our chances fade slightly more the following season.

We were not expecting hockey this year. Hamhuis is hurt, Kassian is hurt, Booth is hurt, Kes is hurt.
Our second line stands to be : Raymond - Ebbett - Hansen.

Why not let Kes rest up the whole season, get healthy, and get 70 points next year? This team will not have forgotten how to win, and the addition of a Jones, or MacKinnon extends the shelflife of this team by YEARS.

I'm rambling now, but you get the point. We suffered though a 4 month lockout, could we not suffer through 3 more for the good of the team, Edmonton had to endure this for close to 300 games, we could do it for 48.

Edited by Spotted Zebra, 14 January 2013 - 07:57 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#2 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

POPULAR

:picard:

That is all.

And this thread has been done before.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#3 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,310 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

More like '48 games...Perfect for a hotstreak!'

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#4 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

POPULAR

So what I'm hearing is: Why bother trying when there is a chance we may not succeed?
Posted Image

#5 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

:picard:

That is all.

And this thread has been done before.

Because not winning the cup, not letting our rookies play, and drafting a plug 27th is so much better than having a potential stud in your system?

Edited by Spotted Zebra, 14 January 2013 - 08:00 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#6 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

In that case, why not lose as many games as possible and get first pick overall and draft MacKinnon ?

#7 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Do what we can bro. It's unfair for the fans if they lose on purpose (just like the Oilers).
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#8 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

There is plenty of talent to be had in the draft at any # of pick. Tanking only takes chances away from our current lottery players. It also pisses off the hockey gods, Edmonton is gonna get hit hard with Karma, karma being the Vancouver Canucks this season.

#9 Fanuck

Fanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

POPULAR

Why not just have MG phone up Bettman and tell him that Vancouver forfeits all games :picard: ?

Looking at your join date, you should know better than to post this stuff.

#10 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

So you're saying you'd rather have elite prospects than regular season and playoff success year in and year out? Go cheer for the Oilers then

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#11 LordCanuck

LordCanuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

please, dear flying spagetti monster, have this season start!
Posted Imagekhalifawiz501

#12 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

we suffered through 4 months of lockout whats another 3 months???

that was 4 months of no hockey ......NO NHL games .. have you looked at the schedule?

they get 2 days off tops , then its game , day off game ,day off, game, day off , game , game, 2 days off, game ECT ECT ECT ECT

i cant put up with a few losses back to back let alone 3 months of straight loss every other day

only person who could possibly deal with this would be a hermit or the deaf / blind
Posted Image

#13 tigbond

tigbond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Who wants to lose on purpose? The Sedins tank a year so next year they will be one year older and we may or may not get a good high draft pick?

#14 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

I don't understand, OP.

Are you suggesting that we trade away the Sedins, Kes, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler etc etc and load up on prospects so that maybe one day we can have a team as good as the one we have right now?

Or are you saying that somebody needs to go into the locker room and tell those guys to lose on purpose? Tough to find a volunteer for that job I think.

#15 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

To infer the OP is a hermit, or deaf/blind is a tremendous insult to to hermits, the deaf and the blind. There's just nothing to say or do to validate the stupidity that is the OP.

what about an inanimate object or more specifically a rock , a rock could deal with that very well (no dwayne johnson )
Posted Image

#16 7thMan

7thMan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Except that they changed the lottery rules, so now any team that misses the playoffs can get the 1st overall draft pick.

#17 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

what about an inanimate object or more specifically a rock , a rock could deal with that very well (no dwayne johnson )

I hear what you're saying, Clutch. Give ME the rock so that I can bang my head with it everytime I see an original post a retarded as this one. Banging my head with a rock would be less painful than dealing with the idiocy that is the OP.

Posted Image

Edited by disisdayear, 14 January 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#18 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

#19 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Because not winning the cup, not letting our rookies play, and drafting a plug 27th is so much better than having a potential stud in your system?

Schneider was drafted 26th overall. Just sayin'...

I think there is an unfair stigma towards us that once our core with this group of guys closes we'll be done for good. I don't agree with this. Look at teams like Detroit who are, year in, year out solid contenders (they've made the playoffs what, over 20 years in a row now?). My point is that you can have a sucessfull team and bring in new young players, or even experienced players (Hamhuis, Booth, Garrison etc.) and by doing this stay quality contenders, look at the team we have now- other than the Sedins a lot of our core was drafted very late, or not at all in the case of Burrows and Tanev. Examples of this are: Edler 91st overall, Bieksa 151st overall, Kesler was 23rd overall, but that just proves my point that just because you're not in the top 10 of a draft doesn't mean your a plug- (Corey S again)...

I don't think we should have so much negativity and urgency to add new talent cause "our window is closing" Yes, that may be true with this era, but it doesn't have to be a completely true statement. I, personally, am hoping to get a B/A grade prospect in the Luongo trade, and we're lucky to be in a market that is attractive to Free Agents... once a our guys start getting older and their cap hits drop, we'll have money to spend on a future big name FA, or 2 that could effectively replace the Sedins. 35/36 year old Sedins are not a bad 2nd line...

I guess I'm being pretty optimistic, I just don't think we should be too worried. The fact that we are an attractive destination for FAs and that we have a good young goalie, star Dman, etc. can't be overlooked in our potential to not have to do a complete rebuild. With a little luck the Canucks can be a quality team for the next X years, a FA here, trade there, and a surprise draft pick (as we've seen a lot with this club) can make this club work in the long term as consistent cup contenders, and hopefully, sooner rather than later, Stanley Cup Champions.
Posted Image

Thanks to Vintage Canuck. for the sick Zeppelin sig!

#20 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Well this threads goin nowhere fast jeesh
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#21 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,514 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

I'd rather just go 48-0-0.

Edited by Rypien37, 14 January 2013 - 09:05 PM.

Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#22 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Schneider was drafted 26th overall. Just sayin'...

I think there is an unfair stigma towards us that once our core with this group of guys closes we'll be done for good. I don't agree with this. Look at teams like Detroit who are, year in, year out solid contenders (they've made the playoffs what, over 20 years in a row now?). My point is that you can have a sucessfull team and bring in new young players, or even experienced players (Hamhuis, Booth, Garrison etc.) and by doing this stay quality contenders, look at the team we have now- other than the Sedins a lot of our core was drafted very late, or not at all in the case of Burrows and Tanev. Examples of this are: Edler 91st overall, Bieksa 151st overall, Kesler was 23rd overall, but that just proves my point that just because you're not in the top 10 of a draft doesn't mean your a plug- (Corey S again)...

I don't think we should have so much negativity and urgency to add new talent cause "our window is closing" Yes, that may be true with this era, but it doesn't have to be a completely true statement. I, personally, am hoping to get a B/A grade prospect in the Luongo trade, and we're lucky to be in a market that is attractive to Free Agents... once a our guys start getting older and their cap hits drop, we'll have money to spend on a future big name FA, or 2 that could effectively replace the Sedins. 35/36 year old Sedins are not a bad 2nd line...

I guess I'm being pretty optimistic, I just don't think we should be too worried. The fact that we are an attractive destination for FAs and that we have a good young goalie, star Dman, etc. can't be overlooked in our potential to not have to do a complete rebuild. With a little luck the Canucks can be a quality team for the next X years, a FA here, trade there, and a surprise draft pick (as we've seen a lot with this club) can make this club work in the long term as consistent cup contenders, and hopefully, sooner rather than later, Stanley Cup Champions.

Spot on.

I'd rather just got 48-0-0.

Amen.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 January 2013 - 09:06 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#23 TrippleOverTime

TrippleOverTime

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Terrible idea

#24 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,489 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

bad idea considering the number one pick is now a lottery of 14 teams

#25 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68,453 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

To be honest, this is the best time to win the Cup.

307mg00.jpg

#26 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Let me start off by saying that this isn't a troll thread, I am not suggesting that the Canucks blow up the organization and trade away the Sedins and Edler for prospects. Nor am I suggesting there isn't a chance the Canucks could go all the way this year.

But...

What's the one thing you keep hearing CONSISTANTLY about the Canucks from someone who is not a fan of them? It's not that they aren't tough enough, or they're to thin on defence. Both these statements may be true, but the thing I keep hearing over and over is : "Their window is coming to an end"

Whether you agree with it or not, you have to acknowledge it.

Years of sketchy drafting have led to a prospect pool have led to Jensen, Schroeder, Corrado, and Gaunce as the future of the team. That isn't bad, but chances are they arent going to take over for the Sedins and Kesler and Burrows, all of whom are slowly aging.

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make here is this. When people found out there was going to be a 48 game schedule, most of the initial reaction was that the Canucks had to go balls to the walls to ice their best possible team for the playoffs, which is what we, the fans would like. No arguing that.

But what happens, when someone decides to take liberties on Daniel Sedin again, and our D core disintegrates? Whats the point of making the playoffs and being eliminated in the first round, only to get the 23rd Overall draft pick? Each year we don't win the cup, our chances fade slightly more the following season.

We were not expecting hockey this year. Hamhuis is hurt, Kassian is hurt, Booth is hurt, Kes is hurt.
Our second line stands to be : Raymond - Ebbett - Hansen.

Why not let Kes rest up the whole season, get healthy, and get 70 points next year? This team will not have forgotten how to win, and the addition of a Jones, or MacKinnon extends the shelflife of this team by YEARS.

I'm rambling now, but you get the point. We suffered though a 4 month lockout, could we not suffer through 3 more for the good of the team, Edmonton had to endure this for close to 300 games, we could do it for 48.

Sounds to me like we just need to drop the puck.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,692 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Hello? You play to win the game!

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#28 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,882 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

but the thing I keep hearing over and over is : "Their window is coming to an end"

So your master plan to win the cup is to throw a season while the window is open?
Posted Image

#29 Brendan Gaunce

Brendan Gaunce

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Edler was drafted in the 3rd round.

Burrows went undrafted and was signed by the Canucks from the AHL.

Pavel Datsyuk was taken in the 6th round!

There are surprises to come for us and other teams in the future.

Posted Image

#30 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

LOL, how the hell does a 27th overall pick result in a plug, give your head a shake. Detroit is the perfect example of a team that ignores that window of opportunity closing and continues to succeed with a veteran group every year.

Edited by Danthecanucksfan, 14 January 2013 - 11:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.