The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

48 Games... Perfect for a Tank?

Spotted Zebra

Schneider was drafted 26th overall. Just sayin'...

I think there is an unfair stigma towards us that once our core with this group of guys closes we'll be done for good. I don't agree with this. Look at teams like Detroit who are, year in, year out solid contenders (they've made the playoffs what, over 20 years in a row now?). My point is that you can have a sucessfull team and bring in new young players, or even experienced players (Hamhuis, Booth, Garrison etc.) and by doing this stay quality contenders, look at the team we have now- other than the Sedins a lot of our core was drafted very late, or not at all in the case of Burrows and Tanev. Examples of this are: Edler 91st overall, Bieksa 151st overall, Kesler was 23rd overall, but that just proves my point that just because you're not in the top 10 of a draft doesn't mean your a plug- (Corey S again)...

I don't think we should have so much negativity and urgency to add new talent cause "our window is closing" Yes, that may be true with this era, but it doesn't have to be a completely true statement. I, personally, am hoping to get a B/A grade prospect in the Luongo trade, and we're lucky to be in a market that is attractive to Free Agents... once a our guys start getting older and their cap hits drop, we'll have money to spend on a future big name FA, or 2 that could effectively replace the Sedins. 35/36 year old Sedins are not a bad 2nd line...

I guess I'm being pretty optimistic, I just don't think we should be too worried. The fact that we are an attractive destination for FAs and that we have a good young goalie, star Dman, etc. can't be overlooked in our potential to not have to do a complete rebuild. With a little luck the Canucks can be a quality team for the next X years, a FA here, trade there, and a surprise draft pick (as we've seen a lot with this club) can make this club work in the long term as consistent cup contenders, and hopefully, sooner rather than later, Stanley Cup Champions.

Let me start off by saying that this isn't a troll thread, I am not suggesting that the Canucks blow up the organization and trade away the Sedins and Edler for prospects. Nor am I suggesting there isn't a chance the Canucks could go all the way this year.

But...

What's the one thing you keep hearing CONSISTANTLY about the Canucks from someone who is not a fan of them? It's not that they aren't tough enough, or they're to thin on defence. Both these statements may be true, but the thing I keep hearing over and over is : "Their window is coming to an end"

Whether you agree with it or not, you have to acknowledge it.

Years of sketchy drafting have led to a prospect pool have led to Jensen, Schroeder, Corrado, and Gaunce as the future of the team. That isn't bad, but chances are they arent going to take over for the Sedins and Kesler and Burrows, all of whom are slowly aging.

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make here is this. When people found out there was going to be a 48 game schedule, most of the initial reaction was that the Canucks had to go balls to the walls to ice their best possible team for the playoffs, which is what we, the fans would like. No arguing that.

But what happens, when someone decides to take liberties on Daniel Sedin again, and our D core disintegrates? Whats the point of making the playoffs and being eliminated in the first round, only to get the 23rd Overall draft pick? Each year we don't win the cup, our chances fade slightly more the following season.

We were not expecting hockey this year. Hamhuis is hurt, Kassian is hurt, Booth is hurt, Kes is hurt.

Our second line stands to be : Raymond - Ebbett - Hansen.

Why not let Kes rest up the whole season, get healthy, and get 70 points next year? This team will not have forgotten how to win, and the addition of a Jones, or MacKinnon extends the shelflife of this team by YEARS.

I'm rambling now, but you get the point. We suffered though a 4 month lockout, could we not suffer through 3 more for the good of the team, Edmonton had to endure this for close to 300 games, we could do it for 48.

We're not Edmonton. And I'm glad we're not. I'd rather have a competing team every year. Sure the farm kind of sucks, but the Nucks can trade/develop assets better than they have in the past, and I trust that they will.

Plus, throwing this season away would be utterly unfair to Schneider, who's been aching and yearning for this job for like 7 years now.

I'll say one thing, sucking for a few years wouldn't be so bad after winning the cup. I'd rather they take their chances working their ass off with this group and try to win now and worry about the future later. The more time that goes by, the harder it will get to win. Next season the division will be tougher in my opinion and a healthy squad isn't guaranteed.

Remember this team isn't the youngest, a short season may be to their advantage.

Archived