:towel: :canucks:

#32 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Please go into the other room, look at yourself in the mirror, and slap yourself in the face multiple times.

Man I can't wait for the season to start already. These threads are getting worse and worse.

Edited by DeNiro, 14 January 2013 - 11:25 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#33 cool story bro

cool story bro

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

We're not Edmonton. And I'm glad we're not. I'd rather have a competing team every year. Sure the farm kind of sucks, but the Nucks can trade/develop assets better than they have in the past, and I trust that they will.

Plus, throwing this season away would be utterly unfair to Schneider, who's been aching and yearning for this job for like 7 years now.
Posted Image

#34 SMR

SMR

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

Someone give this man the medal for Flawless Logic.

The window is closing.. not much time left to win. We should absolutely throw one of our so called last remaining seasons as a competitive team.

#35 Nuckhead13

Nuckhead13

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

just. complete. ridiculousness. we play to win.
Posted Image

#36 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

I'll say one thing, sucking for a few years wouldn't be so bad after winning the cup. I'd rather they take their chances working their ass off with this group and try to win now and worry about the future later. The more time that goes by, the harder it will get to win. Next season the division will be tougher in my opinion and a healthy squad isn't guaranteed.

Remember this team isn't the youngest, a short season may be to their advantage.

Edited by westcoast604, 15 January 2013 - 12:52 AM.

Posted Image

#37 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,316 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

Definitely ready to go. But fyi Dale Weise prefers to be called "Megatron".

Subbancopy.jpg

#38 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

"Fans" like you don't deserve to see this team hoist a cup. What kind of competitor tries to come in last, just because he might come in second? Pissing away an entire year, just because the team isn't gauranteed to win the big prize, is gutless.
Posted Image

#39 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

wasted two minutes of my time............fail who the hell tank...........CUP=>top prospect any day of the week

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#40 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

So you're saying you'd rather have elite prospects than regular season and playoff success year in and year out? Go cheer for the Oilers then

Playoff success doesn't mean losing in the first or second round hell it doesn't even mean losing in game 7 of the scf it means winning. And I'm not saying lose cause being the worst team doesn't mean you will get 1st overall or 2nd all non playoff teams can pick 1st. And while of drafting hasn't been bad its far from being good. We need to find a drafting guru

#41 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

please burn your canucks jesery and never come back......dont buy a canuck ticket nor standing anywhere near a Roger Arena

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#42 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Because not winning the cup, not letting our rookies play, and drafting a plug 27th is so much better than having a potential stud in your system?

Odds are stacked up against drafting a McKinnon, Drouin, Jones or another top flight prospect with the new CBA governing the amateur draft.

Regardless of logic for building the talent pool, purposely tanking the 48 game season would do irreparable damage for ANY team contemplating this. Do you honestly think that the Canucks management would condone this action after the lock out they put their fans through? Give your head a shake.

Edited by disisdayear, 15 January 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#43 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Playoff success doesn't mean losing in the first or second round hell it doesn't even mean losing in game 7 of the scf it means winning. And I'm not saying lose cause being the worst team doesn't mean you will get 1st overall or 2nd all non playoff teams can pick 1st. And while of drafting hasn't been bad its far from being good. We need to find a drafting guru

Right, cause its way better to miss the playoffs if you're not going to win it all?

Here is the math - Canuck fan in Edmonton - there are 16 teams that make the playoffs - all things being equal that gives every team 6.25% chance of winning the cup. In order to get that 6.25 % chance you must first MAKE the playoffs. So the only teams that have ever had playoff success were the ones that won the cup? If every team thought this way teams would be battling not to see who makes the playoffs but to see who can tank the most to get the first overall draft pick.

Now I can see how you are confused about how hockey works, living in Edmonton and all, seeing as that's how the Oiler's have recently decided to redifine Hockey Success.

In actuality most teams believe success is actually winning games and making it to the playoffs for that slim chance of winning the Cup - Messed up huh?
Posted Image

#44 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Right, cause its way better to miss the playoffs if you're not going to win it all?

Here is the math - Canuck fan in Edmonton - there are 16 teams that make the playoffs - all things being equal that gives every team 6.25% chance of winning the cup. In order to get that 6.25 % chance you must first MAKE the playoffs. So the only teams that have ever had playoff success were the ones that won the cup? If every team thought this way teams would be battling not to see who makes the playoffs but to see who can tank the most to get the first overall draft pick.

Now I can see how you are confused about how hockey works, living in Edmonton and all, seeing as that's how the Oiler's have recently decided to redifine Hockey Success.

In actuality most teams believe success is actually winning games and making it to the playoffs for that slim chance of winning the Cup - Messed up huh?

I can see how you are confused, losing in the first and second round is playoff success... Maybe that is for a team who squeaks in the playoffs and over achived to get there but when your a perenial favorite to win the cup and the teams(players) expectations are to win the cup not winning the isnt success.I didnt say to tank the season either I said there is no point to do that anymore. and that we need to get better with our drafting meaning that picking at 20-30 means you should get quality players still. Go aladeen yourself.

#45 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,530 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

If the Canucks tanked on purpose, I would go cheer for another team. What an embarrassment that would be. Have some pride OP, the Canucks will not sacrifice a chance at the Cup for a high draft pick.

#46 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

I can see how you are confused, losing in the first and second round is playoff success... Maybe that is for a team who squeaks in the playoffs and over achived to get there but when your a perenial favorite to win the cup and the teams(players) expectations are to win the cup not winning the isnt success.I didnt say to tank the season either I said there is no point to do that anymore. and that we need to get better with our drafting meaning that picking at 20-30 means you should get quality players still. Go aladeen yourself.

Oh yes excuse me if I am a little confused because what you are saying is confusing.

Just to help me clarify: No Cup = Fail but lets not lose on purpose, lets just draft better?
Is that right?

You don't think the Canucks know that they need to draft better? That either they have, in the past, drafted poorly or improperly developed prospects?

You don't think the Canucks try to win the cup each year?

Just to sum up again: you feel the Canucks need to draft better and win the cup every year?

Yah no doubt Genius, why the Canucks haven't hired you as GM/Head of Scouting/Captain of The Obvious/Director of Winning the Cup and Drafting the Diamond in the Rough Every Season, is beyond me.

Maybe if they made you coach you could let the Canuck players know that they need to score more goals than the opponent.

It seems you are the only one in the world that knows the secret to NHL hockey - Your formula is so revolutionary why doesn't every team follow it? Win Cup or Draft Well, Win Cup or Draft Well.

Edited by hockeyville88, 15 January 2013 - 01:57 PM.

Posted Image

#47 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Oh yes excuse me if I am a little confused because what you are saying is confusing.

Just to help me clarify: No Cup = Fail but lets not lose on purpose, lets just draft better?
Is that right?

You don't think the Canucks know that they need to draft better? That either they have, in the past, drafted poorly or improperly developed prospects?

You don't think the Canucks try to win the cup each year?

Just to sum up again: you feel the Canucks need to draft better and win the cup every year?

Yah no doubt Genius, why the Canucks haven't hired you as GM/Head of Scouting/Captain of The Obvious/Director of Winning the Cup and Drafting the Diamond in the Rough Every Season, is beyond me.

Maybe if they made you coach you could let the Canuck players know that they need to score more goals than the opponent.

It seems you are the only one in the world that knows the secret to NHL hockey - Your formula is so revolutionary why doesn't every team follow it? Win Cup or Draft Well, Win Cup or Draft Well.

Obviously the people who run and ran our team in the past have just figured this out 42 years and only 1 HOF player, no cups and a couple of Cinderella runs to the finals. Finally we have a consistent contender and excuse me if I consider us not winning the cup an unsuccessful season. And in light of our 2nd line injuries we have no one that can step up to the table we have plenty of bottom end talent put no top line skill (that has figured it out Rodin,Schroeder).

#48 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

bad idea considering the number one pick is now a lottery of 14 teams

this is news to me. Do you have a link for this? Thanks.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#49 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

If anything having a short season could benefit us. We probably won't be first in the league this year, but what's wrong with simply making the playoffs?

We have some guys who are injured, and will need time to recover. Doesn't the idea of entering the playoffs with a fresh, healthy team appeal to you? The playoffs are a whole different game.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

this is news to me. Do you have a link for this? Thanks.

I don't have a link but all non playoff teams can pick #1 last place has the best chance still but there are way more balls (teams) in the lottery so you have a lower chance to pick first still

#51 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for moving this awesome thread back up to the top

I think the internal conversation would be hilarious

Gillis - I just wanted to gather everyone here to tell you that I have a confession to make.
We all make mistakes right?
Booth - Right
Gillis - well I didn't do a very good job of building this team so I propose, no demand, we tank the season to increase our chances of selecting first overall.
Burrows - you serious?
Gillis - yes.

Edited by Noheart, 15 January 2013 - 05:40 PM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#52 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Obviously the people who run and ran our team in the past have just figured this out 42 years and only 1 HOF player, no cups and a couple of Cinderella runs to the finals. Finally we have a consistent contender and excuse me if I consider us not winning the cup an unsuccessful season. And in light of our 2nd line injuries we have no one that can step up to the table we have plenty of bottom end talent put no top line skill (that has figured it out Rodin,Schroeder).

so you're saying you should run the team? Rofl
Posted Image

#53 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,418 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, this season is looking like a wash. We have no second line.

I would never tank on purpose but I wouldn't waste time and resources making desperate trades and rushing people back. This season will be a toss up.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#54 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Because not winning the cup, not letting our rookies play, and drafting a plug 27th is so much better than having a potential stud in your system?

It's only a plug if you don't know what you're doing. Draft history (depending how far back you go) shows that about half of the last 5 picks of the first round end up becoming regular NHL'ers.
Posted Image

#55 Watsuko

Watsuko

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

I'd rather just go 48-0-0.

dont you mean 64-0

#56 Creed_17

Creed_17

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

So let me track this logic
-Our window is closing...
-So we throw a year of that window..out the window....
-So hopefully someday a few years down the road, this one player will reopen the window??

I say we just try to win a Stanley Cup...that's more fun.
Posted Image
When everything is falling apart, and there is no reason to, we have to BELIEVE!

#57 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Perhaps "Tank" was the wrong word choice.

All I'm saying is let's say the Canucks try an force things by playing Higgins and Hansen on the first thing, and it doesn't work out.
Say Cory Schneider shows us he's no more than a top 15 goaltender, and isn't able to be 06/07 Roberto Luongo.

With 20 games left, and if we are battling for the 8th playoff spot, why not just play Schroeder on the second Line, Play Kassian with the Sedins, Let Lack start a few games at the end.

I'm not saying lose on purpose, I'm saying if it's apparent it's not going to be our year, I'd rather play the rookies and let whatever happens happen. Whether that be going on a hot streak, or losing 14 of the last 15.
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#58 miles.p

miles.p

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Man that one (failed) stanley cup run have really altered the minds of the canucks fan.

Looking back at the start of the decade, let's calculate playoff wins and loses

2000 - lost in first round
2001 - lost in first round
2002 - lost in second round
2003 - lost in first round
2004 - lockout
2005 - did not reach the playoffs
2006 - lost in second round
2007 - missed playoffs again
2008 - lost in second round
2009 - lost in second round
2010 - lost in game 7 of scf
2011 - lost in first round

So in the past decade and 1, the canucks only reached the finals once, and lost multiple times in the first round, choked multiple times in the second round and a couple of times they missed the playoffs.

Based on trends and history and multiple playoff choke jobs, can you honestly say that the Canucks can win it all this season? Especially with a depleted offensive line, and a controversy in the goalie department?

I think the OP is spot on with his post, he is looking at things realistically, not just by one failed stanley cup rounds. Before you say, o h it was due to injuries or this and that, well injuries are part of the game. Not every team is 100% healthy come playoff time.

The canucks are better off fighting for the 8th seed and turn the burners on in the playoffs with everything 0 - 0. Rather to spend all the energy on the president's trophy, only to lose in the first round again.

#59 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

so you're saying you should run the team? Rofl

That's exactly what I'm saying. you dont have an opinion on the state of our team. How many warnings do I have cause I really want to personally attack you but ill reframe from that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.