The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

headed for Shoot-out Disaster

Slegr

In a short season, every point counts. The importance of shoot-outs will be magnified. Looking at the Canucks roster, the team is becoming a bit more gritty, and built for the playoffs. But will it be playoff bound?

If it gets into a lot of regular season ties, the Canucks might be sunk by shoot-outs. The team only has three shooters in the top 100 last year, and just barely, with Raymond coming in at #93. Burrows and Edler are the other two (source: http://www.nhl.com/i...hootoutsSkaters). One of the top shoot-out finishers, CoHo, is no longer with the team.

We have very few natural goal-scorers on the team. The Sedins, as skilled as they are, have yet to truly master penalty shots. Most of their points come from beautiful passing plays.

The Canucks were lucky to manage 8 shootout wins out of 15 attempts last season, in large part because of Luongo's strong performance in shoot-outs. He mustered up six wins, with little help in the offensive category.

Look at any other Western Conference team, and they have a longer list of more natural goal scorers with better finish in shoot-outs. If we get into many ties this short season, we'll need to start cloning Burrows.

Who are your top five shooters?

Nucks really need to work on this, atleast we won't be seeing Lu on his belly as much :P

Burrows - fake backhand in

Kassian - has a sick go to move

Edler - best shooutout guy besides burr

Schroeder - if he makes the team

No idea for the 5th, whoever is playing the best during the game.

I think we will make the playoffs even if we don't have a great shoot out record, if that's what makes the difference then we deserve to not make it. I could care less if we have the PT this year. So mark me down as I don't care.

Anything goes in 48 game seasons. Think about where teams were in the standings 48 games in last year. Toronto was near the top of their Division?? I don't think the shoot-out will ever be as important as this year. Those extra points are HUGE.

At least Luongo really improved in them last year, and Cory looks like he can handle them as well so at least we know we'll always have a good goalie in the net.

While I don't think shootouts will determine whether we make the playoffs or not, they could be the difference between 1st and 3rd. We do still need to improve in them.

Archived