The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

headed for Shoot-out Disaster

Slegr

Shootouts are still going to happen but, I think that the mentality will be to win in regulation time... Take the deuce or nothing. Three-pointers, as they have in the past, are going to cost a team dearly, especially in the brief season.

I wish that the NHL would get rid of the extra point in OT and Shootout games. 2 for a win, none for a loss. Or go football with 3 for regulation win, 2 for OT / SO win, 1 for reaching OT / SO. Better still, bring back the tie! Shootouts have nothing to do with the context of the game, just like penalties in footy. They both blow!

I hate how Kesler's shootout move is now shoot first, and if not, then try fake forehand, backhand, then forehand again.. Remember a couple seasons ago how he always did the leg kick and would either shoot it in or fake backhand go forehand? That was beautiful.. Now its just shot shot shot shot and hope for the best

In a short season, every point counts. The importance of shoot-outs will be magnified. Looking at the Canucks roster, the team is becoming a bit more gritty, and built for the playoffs. But will it be playoff bound?

If it gets into a lot of regular season ties, the Canucks might be sunk by shoot-outs. The team only has three shooters in the top 100 last year, and just barely, with Raymond coming in at #93. Burrows and Edler are the other two (source: http://www.nhl.com/i...hootoutsSkaters). One of the top shoot-out finishers, CoHo, is no longer with the team.

We have very few natural goal-scorers on the team. The Sedins, as skilled as they are, have yet to truly master penalty shots. Most of their points come from beautiful passing plays.

The Canucks were lucky to manage 8 shootout wins out of 15 attempts last season, in large part because of Luongo's strong performance in shoot-outs. He mustered up six wins, with little help in the offensive category.

Look at any other Western Conference team, and they have a longer list of more natural goal scorers with better finish in shoot-outs. If we get into many ties this short season, we'll need to start cloning Burrows.

Who are your top five shooters?

I love that.

A Canucks fan telling other Canucks fans to stop talking about a former first round Canuck on a Canucks fan board.

Now,that is special.

Some of you guys with a hate-on should consider learning where to go for anger management.

Hodgson was 50th in the entire NHL in shootouts,with a 50% average.

Out of 286 shooters he came in the top 50.

http://www.nhl.com/i...sort=goals&pg=2

I think with need to put one Sedin every shootout we play

No they are not the best, but they are our best offensive players. With Kesler out, we need to go to the Sedin. I think one of the reason they are not that good is the fact that they don't go that often. When they do go they have the pressure to score, but they are not used to a in-game shootout, practice is not the same.

Archived