The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Typical slow starts for Luongo

danjr

We all know Luongo has pretty slow starts each year. What are your opinions on what the team should do this year. Seeing as a strong start is a must.

In my opinion I really think they should pull an even rotation for the first two weeks and then go with the hot hand.

Notice this is not a who is better thread, I love them both. Just Roberto has those brutal starts, that could put us out of the playoff picture and struggle to get back in.

Luo is now the backup and should play one in three or one in every four games.

I don't see how he could be interested in over exerting himself for a team that pushed him out and down the road.

If Luo gets hurt there is a rapidly diminishing trade market,especially if it is in the groin area.

No matter what type of nonsense Gillis perpetuates in the media ,the reality is almost the complete opposite of what he has been painting.

Schneider has not done enough to become a full-time starter in my opinion. He played 3 games in the playoffs last season and won 1 game, sorry but that's not enough to overthrow a consistent 30-win goalie.

If Luongo is still with the Canucks when the season starts I want Schneider to have to win the starting position off him. That means, start the season as a tandem and whoever has the better starts and plays better gets to continue playing. Simple a few games at a time.

Luongo should and deserves to play the first game and the team should go from there. Take it one or two games at a time in terms of who's in net.

Luo is now the backup and should play one in three or one in every four games.

I don't see how he could be interested in over exerting himself for a team that pushed him out and down the road.

If Luo gets hurt there is a rapidly diminishing trade market,especially if it is in the groin area.

No matter what type of nonsense Gillis perpetuates in the media ,the reality is almost the complete opposite of what he has been painting.

Schneider has not done enough to become a full-time starter in my opinion. He played 3 games in the playoffs last season and won 1 game, sorry but that's not enough to overthrow a consistent 30-win goalie.

If Luongo is still with the Canucks when the season starts I want Schneider to have to win the starting position off him. That means, start the season as a tandem and whoever has the better starts and plays better gets to continue playing. Simple a few games at a time.

Luongo should and deserves to play the first game and the team should go from there. Take it one or two games at a time in terms of who's in net.

I stick by my thinking that, as the starter, it's a much tougher gig and a guy coming in to back up a perceived floundering or struggling goaltender does so with nothing to lose. The starter is the goat (at least in Vancouver). The freedom in that means his mind is clear to simply play the game....if he loses, well, they were already losing. If they win, he's the hero. But, to face that pressure and have to come through losing streaks (everyone will encounter them at some point) with an entire city (and media) on your back is the true test. This market grinds people down here - there is no escaping it in order to clear your mind. So right now it's the honeymoon stage, but in the day to day routine, I hope people do understand that Cory will (also) lose. Lu wasn't afforded that luxury (mostly due to his paycheque).

I equally support both goaltenders but agree with Down Under...I fear the Big Yellow Taxi scenario. You can criticize Lu all you want but the fact remains that, with him as our goaltender, we've been a top team. And people are quick to forget that.

I am a fan of Lu. I am a fan of the Canucks, and I am a fan of Schneider. History aside, if your going with Cory as the starter, then you play Lu 1/3 of the time. If your platooning them, which I would do to keep them both fresh and give recoup time to either one then they split games. Its not rocket science: Goaltenders are hockey players who wear a lot of pads and stop pucks. That is primary..secondary is 'assets to be considered for trades'. Use accordingly.

EDIT: I usually rant longer, but Deb said most of what I would have to say just above my post.

In fact, if you pull up the calendar view you can see we open with back to backs...then two games mid week with a day off between em and then back to backs again.

This tells me that there is a natural 5-2 split right there for the first half month of the season, maybe even 4-3 is conceivable before a much harder to judge February kicks in. 12 games in Feb...9 and 3 if we they decide who is a starter but i would again hedge that and say closer to 7-5 keeping both fresh. There is only one back to back in Feb.

3 back to backs in a 16 game March. Only once in march are there two days off between games. This is rough for anyone with 'home, away, home, 3 away, 4 home, 3 away, 2 home and finish the month away. If we have both tenders and both are healthy and performing like we know they can I would almost guarantee 8 and 8 this month. Worst case would see 13-3 but i just don't see the logic.

April starts with the 2nd half of back to back road games and has just one more back to back set, and a 5 game road trip. a couple more games here for a backup at minimum.

Not eating your icecream because you want icecream later is just idiotic when it comes to pro sports and ice cream is a human being. So if we have 9.33 million in net this whole season we will play 9.33 million in net.

So with that, my guess is a 'backup' would play 10 games minimum, leaving 38 for a 'starter' but common sense when it comes to tied up money is to play even bonafide starter/backup splits closer to 18 and 30...and if your in like that, you may as well go a few more games deeper on the backup, whichever one it is considered to be and hit up 21-27 which gets you into platooning territory, which is where I would aim to be. Is 27 games enough to warm up for the playoffs? Yes. 16 wins is needed in the playoffs if a team is to make it to the Cup win. a 24 game warm up is enough for either one of them to do very well in the playoffs and be at peak stride. Also, by then we will have a clear picture of the stats for both. B)

I stick by my thinking that, as the starter, it's a much tougher gig and a guy coming in to back up a perceived floundering or struggling goaltender does so with nothing to lose. The starter is the goat (at least in Vancouver). The freedom in that means his mind is clear to simply play the game....if he loses, well, they were already losing. If they win, he's the hero. But, to face that pressure and have to come through losing streaks (everyone will encounter them at some point) with an entire city (and media) on your back is the true test. This market grinds people down here - there is no escaping it in order to clear your mind. So right now it's the honeymoon stage, but in the day to day routine, I hope people do understand that Cory will (also) lose. Lu wasn't afforded that luxury (mostly due to his paycheque).

I equally support both goaltenders but agree with Down Under...I fear the Big Yellow Taxi scenario. You can criticize Lu all you want but the fact remains that, with him as our goaltender, we've been a top team. And people are quick to forget that.

People are going to criticize every goaltender in Vancouver, period. It isn't just poor ol' Luongo, Schneider will be too. The thing is, they aren't idiots, they knew/know that when they take the job in a Canadian city with an elite hockey club, that's what happens. They're professionals, and if they didn't want to get paid millions of dollars to play a highly scrutinized position, they would have asked for a trade to a non-contender.

Schneider has been here long enough to see how Luongo is treated, and he still wants the job, period. That being said, I doubt fans will jump all over Schneider as much as Luongo unless he has several meltdowns in the playoffs like Luongo did. That's the way it goes, if you let in 6+ goals in a bunch of games in the playoffs people get pissed.

In a perfect world, with a condensed shortened season, we keep both goalies split duties and win the cup. Luongo's trade value triples with his name on the cup and we get max value in return. My guess is the exact opposite will actually happen.

CDC is not the place for hockey talk. A large part of people's opinions here are either warped by the media or simply the media.

How does Luongo have brutal starts in October? This was suggested by the media. He is at his best in January and December, I agree, but does that mean this team dies or lives by his hand? Is our offense and defense just that bad?

It's way more logical to conclude that the team is shabby early in the season in general. I'm not talking about wins and losses, I'm talking about each player contributing. The forwards don't play well early on either.

You thrust on Luongo all the responsibilities of a goaltender (which is probably worse than being captain) and then give him the breathing room of a 4th liner expected to score 25 goals.

Defense doesn't win games, that's just a cliche saying. Offense does. And if our team only can score to their potential during January and Decemeber, what's the point of addressing everything but that?

When I got to the bottom of this thread I felt like I accomplished something because I didn't barf.

Why is it that some people can say Kassian is ready to play with the Sedins and Schroeder can take Keslers spot.

Yet a Goaltender that we drafted 10 years ago that has gone through all the right steps and performed superbly doing so is not ready to be a starter

This is exactly what these same people criticize AV about

Playing favorites or Romerisium

Not that I really care what you people think I just find it comical.

Archived