The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Keep it real and stop wishing

whytelight

Many of us have posted on the other fourms (trades and rumors) about these trades invloving Luongo and come pretty high valued players. I think we all need to take a look at some facts here and stop the hype. Although I'd love a top 4 D or a top 6 F coming to our team, we need to look at some facts here.

1. MG said he will only trade Luongo if it will help the team. Bozak, Kadri, and the other garbage- names teams have been rumored to offer will not help us. Other teams know the position MG is in and will use that to our disadvantage; MG won't trade Luongo for a band-aid.

2. We currently have the best tandem in the Leauge. CS is unproven and Luongo is an elite, world-class goalie that helped us to game 7 of the SCF. Luongo did not lose game 7, our team did. Would you want to go into the playoffs with CS and Eddie Lack? I don't.

3. Believe it or not, MG might be thinking to himself, "currently, the best thing for the TEAM (not the fans, not the city) is keeping RL and taking a run at the SC with the Leauges best two goalies.

This (playing 2 goalies) was successful for the Wings.

"During the 2007–08 season, he was replaced by backup Chris Osgood. When Hašek recovered and got back into his stride, Detroit chose to alternate goaltenders in tandem instead of designating either as the backup. Detroit coach Mike Babcock announced Hašek to start in the 2008 playoffs. Through the first two games against the Nashville Predators, the Red Wings were victorious, but after a lackluster performance in the next two, Osgood was in goal for the remainder of the playoffs.[43] Despite expressing disappointment at losing his starting position, Hašek maintained his professionalism in practice and continued to support his teammates, with Darren McCarty citing close relationship between Hašek and Osgood.[44] Eventually the Red Wings beat thePittsburgh Penguins in six games for the Stanley Cup."

I would have to argue that Schneider is proven, or management wouldn't deem Luongo expendable. To be honest I'd be quite comfortable heading into the playoffs with Schneider + veteran backup not named Luongo.

I do agree that MG isn't going to trade Luongo away for scraps. Both Schneider and Lu are professionals and they will do whatever is best for the team. The only distraction is going to be within the media.

Leafs fans in particular is living a dream. They think their team is a cup winning team, they think their team will make the playoffs, and they think they can get Luongo for absolutley nothing. But like I said, they are living a dream, and I don't think Luongo if he does get traded, it will not be to Toronto, as they have too little assets to make a trade like this. They don't have much offensive players, they don't have much prospects, they don't have much of anything!. Well done Burky.

Toronto has Jamie Devane who is tough as nails. He is about as tough as Kassian and bigger with less offense but some offensive ability. As well they have Ashton Carter and Joe Colbourne who is a first round pick from Boston that Toronto got from the Kaberle deal. He is 6'5" 215 lbs. Colbourne has great hands and is an above average nhl speed skater. Plus they have defensive prospects and they could also throw Reimer into the deal which we could later trade for something next year. And they have draft picks. I mean imagine Reimer with Vancouver's defense. He played well with Tononto's team.

So I would like to keep Luongo. That is why I would wait for a smoking deal from another team to make it worth our while.

If we traded Luongo our goaltending depth with injury could look like:

Schneids

Reimer

Lack

Climie

Canata

Honestly if we had Climie and Lack I think that it is possible that one of those guys could catch fire. I mean it is possible. So Lets make a deal if it makes sense because Vancouver is in a position of strength.

BTW Colbourne is a great Passer. He has a good shot too. But he is a pass first guy. He handles the puck well. He is the kind of guy that could get Kesler and Booth the puck. He is a Center Ice so down the road (he is 22) he or Kesler could play the wing and they could change back and forth or they could use him on the third line and have booth on his wing because they wouuld be more fashinoned to play together than Kesler and Booth.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Raymond Kelser Higgins

Booth Colbourne Hansen

Kassian Lapierre Weise

Volpati

Vancouver could have scoring on all lines

So Colbourne would be great to get the puck to speedy guys like whom some are not known for shooting:

Booth, Kesler, Raymond, Burrows, Hanson, Kassian. He could be a great peice for us because we need a passer. He actually reminds me of Joe Thornton. Look him up and you will see. He has size, his name is Joe and he is a pass first guy with great hands and he is a first round pick from Boston whom Boston gave up on and traded for a defenceman (Brad Stuart from San Jose for Thornton Kaberle for Colbourne). Plus would be great to have a Neely trade reversed so we can say we have a player that Boston gave up on and was great.

He He !

Many of us have posted on the other fourms (trades and rumors) about these trades invloving Luongo and come pretty high valued players. I think we all need to take a look at some facts here and stop the hype. Although I'd love a top 4 D or a top 6 F coming to our team, we need to look at some facts here.

1. MG said he will only trade Luongo if it will help the team. Bozak, Kadri, and the other garbage- names teams have been rumored to offer will not help us. Other teams know the position MG is in and will use that to our disadvantage; MG won't trade Luongo for a band-aid.

2. We currently have the best tandem in the Leauge. CS is unproven and Luongo is an elite, world-class goalie that helped us to game 7 of the SCF. Luongo did not lose game 7, our team did. Would you want to go into the playoffs with CS and Eddie Lack? I don't.

3. Believe it or not, MG might be thinking to himself, "currently, the best thing for the TEAM (not the fans, not the city) is keeping RL and taking a run at the SC with the Leauges best two goalies.

I don't understand why we keep having discussions about whether or not it is good to have two great goaltenders on the team. As soon as the two goaltenders are proven to be able to work together - there is no issue with having two great goaltenders.

The issue is strictly about salary cap, and the disastrous effects of having $9.33M cap space allocated to goalies. It seems like we are shooting ourselves in the foot and not availing of 3-4.5$M in cap space because we have both goalies. That much cap space could mean upgrading a 2nd line player or a top 4 defenseman into a superstar, an extra depth power player, or even simply space to breathe when the cap shrinks next year.

I would have to argue that Schneider is proven, or management wouldn't deem Luongo expendable. To be honest I'd be quite comfortable heading into the playoffs with Schneider + veteran backup not named Luongo.

I do agree that MG isn't going to trade Luongo away for scraps. Both Schneider and Lu are professionals and they will do whatever is best for the team. The only distraction is going to be within the media.

Archived