The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Would You Start on Saturday? (poll)

Mr. White

Luongo or Schneider  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No....what's really clueless is that people think having 2 goalies is an issue and going on and on and on about it - feeding on the chum that the media tosses to them...

The biggest issue for the Canucks (proven by the last 2 playoff years) is lack of scoring.

This team can't seem to score when it counts - that is in big games.

We would have lost to the Bruins and the Kings no matter which goalie (from any team from any generation) was in net.

The fact is, the Canucks couldn't score enough goals to win.

Goalie position is not the issue, Goal production is.

This is the epitome of a stupid question. You start your home opener with your starter, Schneider. Anything else would be flat-out ridiculous.

...But, I guess a 1/3 of the voters are flat-out ridiculous. Gotta love CDC!

So...if Luongo starts, does that mean he's the starter?

If Luongo starts, and the Canucks lose, everyone will be all over Luongo and saying - why didn't we start Schneider.

If Schneider starts and we lose - what do you think those same people will say?

I start them both. Schneider in net, and I make Luo the first ever goalie-fourth-line-forward.

He's got good size, and he can block a mean shot.

With Lappy moving up the lineup, there's an opportunity for Luo to step in and show his versatility.

And just try to get that puck past Luo and then Schneider.

Do the math. .919 compounded by .937. Good E%##%ing luck!

I think there is something to be said by playing both goalies. My reasoning is that if other teams see that we're comfortable with our goalie tandem, then they would feel less like Gillis is backed into a corner and HAS to get rid of Luongo - thereby potentially increasing our return for him. It would also help keep Schneider fresh.

There are maybe too many risks, though:

- As has been mentioned, we don't want Luongo getting injured and untradable.

- If Luongo doesn't try hard (and who could blame him if he didn't), he would have less than great stats which might also reduce his value. It also would obviously do nothing to help us win games.

- It might make Schneider wonder if he is really the #1 goalie or not so he'd have to take it in stride... which I think he would.

- It would fuel controversy in the cutthroat Vancouver media and fans.

So while I can see it from both sides, we pretty much have to go with Schneider I think. Which isn't a bad thing....

Interesting that so many people say "CS is the starting goalie" as if its fact. Maybe I'm wrong, but has anyone in the Canucks organization said this outright? Yes, I know they have declared a trade for Luongo is on the table...but if it doesn't happen, then what?

Archived