34 replies to this topic

#31 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,774 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

We don't want to take on an extra $3.5M in cap, we're in worse situation than they are for next year. But, as you say, they could try and dump Bryz for picks/prospects.

Still highly unlikely for a player that would have played in the NHL this year prior to the accelerated buyout option. He and Ballard are examples of players that will get a chance to play better and either earn more in a trade (Ballard) or prove they belong (Bryz).

Not an extra 3.5 million - I'm not talking 5.3 + 3.5 million - 3.5 is enough for them to fit Luo in.
And then if they move Bryz they actually wind up with more cap space.
But I'm still hoping for the Panthers deal - no help for Philly - we'll want Bryz in net if we face them in the SCF...

Edited by oldnews, 15 January 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#32 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

I'm not sure I follow. What's this tagging room?

Using the buyout now does nothing for the team (cap hit and salary paid still apply this season). The only thing it would do for the Canucks is free up a roster spot. It may or may not free up a contract limit space if that was an issue (likely it would).

NHL won't approve a trade or signing that will put a team over the cap this year - or any year in the future (up to 10% over for future years, I believe). "Tagging room" refers to room under the projected cap in future years.

With the cap being retracted so much, a lot of teams will have their hands cuffed doing extensions, or trading for contracts that extend past this year. Right now we have 9 million in room for next year, so it's not as big of an issue for us.
Posted Image

#33 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,848 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Not an extra 3.5 million - I'm not talking 5.3 + 3.5 million - 3.5 is enough for them to fit Luo in.
And then if they move Bryz they actually wind up with more cap space.
But I'm still hoping for the Panthers deal - no help for Philly - we'll want Bryz in net if we face them in the SCF...

That then assumes they don't care about next year's cap if a move involving Bryz isn't also implied. They aren't going to take on a lot more cap since they only have so much room themselves for next season when the cap drops. I did mention moving Bryz separately without taking cap back in the second sentence.

EDIT: to clarify, they have ~$1.7M in cap space currently. They'd also have LTI for Pronger (~$5M), and probably Briere and Meszaros for the first part of the season (maybe a couple mill). They'd probably have enough that way but next year might be different, or if Pronger comes back, so they have to account for that possibility this year and next.

NHL won't approve a trade or signing that will put a team over the cap this year - or any year in the future (up to 10% over for future years, I believe). "Tagging room" refers to room under the projected cap in future years.

With the cap being retracted so much, a lot of teams will have their hands cuffed doing extensions, or trading for contracts that extend past this year. Right now we have 9 million in room for next year, so it's not as big of an issue for us.

I wondered if that's what you were getting at. I don't know if it'd be such a concern considering the NHL already knows each team will have up to two cap free buyouts, so I'd assume they'd allow for a percentage over in cap hit for coming years, like they do in the summer.

Edited by elvis15, 15 January 2013 - 03:48 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#34 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,774 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Capgeek has them at $1.75 in cap space, not that it matters a whole lot.
If they were trading for Luo, it wouldn't be that hard to send $3.5 back this way, but in either event, I think they'd be more likely to capdump trade him...

That then assumes they don't care about next year's cap if a move involving Bryz isn't also implied. They aren't going to take on a lot more cap since they only have so much room themselves for next season when the cap drops. I did mention moving Bryz separately without taking cap back in the second sentence.

EDIT: to clarify, they have ~$1.7M in cap space currently...

#35 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

None.
I could maybe see Redden getting a small deal, but I can't see any team going after Gomez.

I am fairly sure you are wrong... lots of teams could take a flyer on him for a low cap hit. We shall see soon.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.