The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New buyout rules for this season implemented

MG should put in calls to both Gomez and Redden. I think he will.

Sign them for under $1 million each. They would both be inclined to come to team like Canucks because they would have a chance at success and to put some numbers on the board. This will give them opportunity to sign better deal next summer, ala Rafi Torres.

Plus, even if they did, odds are they couldn't make the cap space to get Luongo in the first place. They only have 25000 more in cap space (according to capgeek) so what makes it possible to get Lu?

The only person that would seem applicable to that situation would be Brayden Schenn.

Meh. Gomez had a whopping 64% offensive zone starts last year and still only managed a pair of goals and 9 assists in a half season -and it can't be chalked up to his linemates or role. The Habs were going to pay him to stay home this year.

I don't see him being an upgrade over Ebbett or Schroeder. I think he's a waste of a roster spot and $1 million - even if that's not a lot of cap space - it's more than the options the Canucks already have.

I said under $1 mill. This way his salary wouldn't count against cap hit if he doesn't make the team.. He would still be availabe as depth C But I think he would make the team, He would be better than both Schroeder and Ebbet.

The Habs liked him and his players loved him. He's a great team mate. Only reason Habs were going to pay him stay home is so he doesn't get injured, then he wouldn't be eligible for buy out. NYR were doing same thing with Redden.

Capgeek has them at $1.75 in cap space, not that it matters a whole lot.

If they were trading for Luo, it wouldn't be that hard to send $3.5 back this way, but in either event, I think they'd be more likely to capdump trade him...

We don't want to take on an extra $3.5M in cap, we're in worse situation than they are for next year. But, as you say, they could try and dump Bryz for picks/prospects.

Still highly unlikely for a player that would have played in the NHL this year prior to the accelerated buyout option. He and Ballard are examples of players that will get a chance to play better and either earn more in a trade (Ballard) or prove they belong (Bryz).

I'm not sure I follow. What's this tagging room?

Using the buyout now does nothing for the team (cap hit and salary paid still apply this season). The only thing it would do for the Canucks is free up a roster spot. It may or may not free up a contract limit space if that was an issue (likely it would).

Not an extra 3.5 million - I'm not talking 5.3 + 3.5 million - 3.5 is enough for them to fit Luo in.

And then if they move Bryz they actually wind up with more cap space.

But I'm still hoping for the Panthers deal - no help for Philly - we'll want Bryz in net if we face them in the SCF...

Archived