The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth out 4 to 6 weeks

hockeyville88

I can post up any comparison I like and you can be some mini mod in training with high heels and lipstick for all I care.

Salo no longer plays for the Canucks-hello. Garrison did not play for the Canucks last year-hello.

Make your own comparisons and stop your whining.

The post was not about taking the best from anything and making some grandstand point that must meet your approval.It was a post that highlighted the lack of goals from the present blueliners.Try to accept that in your mini mod mind.

My big sin was to exclude Hamhuis. Big deal.Add on four goals to the tally and figure it out.It ain't rocket science.

Not sure how you guys got to talking about the offense from the defense in a thread about Booth being injured but I'll kick in some stuff...

1.) Has the amount of opportunity to score points during a game which was given to Ehrhoff been factored in to the discussion? If Ehrhoff got most of the prime opportunities to score (power play and starts in the offensive zone) then it would follow that the remainder of the d-men would score less, no? And if guys like Hamhuis and Bieksa were given more defensive zone coverage, wouldn't they have fewer chances to score?

2.) Has the number of games played by each d-man been considered? Last season Edler played an entire 82 games and put up the best totals of his career. In the two seasons while Ehrhoff was here, Edler played 76 and 51 games. So, not only was Edler deprived of opportunity to score because of missed games, but also on the power play because of a preference of team to go with Ehrhoff.

Similar to Edler missing games during Ehrhoff's time here, Bieksa played in 55 and 66 games, Salo played in 68 and 27 games, Hamhuis got into only 64 games in 2010 - 11, Ehrhoff played in 80 and 79 games in those two seasons.

Fun fact: Edler was pretty much even with Ehrhoff in points over the span each guy played in those two seasons. That's 32 more games played by Ehrhoff, with lots more opportunity to score during games, and he could barely out-point Edler.

regards,

G.

Wow.. people need to relax on this site. Booth got hurt. Players get hurt. Sh*t happens. The fact that people are wanting his head for getting injured is alarming to me. Some fans here need to give their ___ a tug and show some loyalty to this team. No wonder Luu wants to be traded.

Hopefully some young guns will give themselves the opportunity to step up. If there's anything I learned from the NHL last season is --- you don't need to score goals, you need to keep them out of your net to win. Thank you LA Kings.

Canucks have the best goalie tandem in league and one of the best depth d-cores, they'll be fine.

My solution: Bring in Brendan Morrison & Scott Gomez on PTO's. Let the two of them battle it out for a few days to see who's the better fit and sign that guy to a veteran minimum two way contract. When Kesler returns, you can drop the guy down in the lineup or send him to Chicago to continue to work so that when the playoffs start you can call him up as solid depth down the middle. My thinking is you can't worry about who's on the wing to score goals on that second line if you can't win faceoffs and defend your own end.

And I can say I'm the King of Siam, it doesn't make it true.

If you want comparisons, how about this:

• Canucks scored 241 goals last year

• Of those, 40 were scored by the defence (including Edler, Bieksa, Salo, Hamhuis, Rome, Ballard, Alberts, Tanev and 1 of Gragnani's 2 goals as the other was with Buffalo)

• Talking strictly about goals, Edler (11), Bieksa (8) and Salo (9) were the most productive

• Hamhuis was also effective despite only 4 goals, as he (along with Edler and Bieksa) had over 30 assists

• Edler, Bieksa and Salo all were in the top 30 for goals by a defencemen, ahead of Suter, Subban, Gardner and Liles

• Edler, Bieksa and Hamhuis all were in the top 25 for points by defencemen, ahead of Subban, Doughty and Lidstrom

• Our one major change from last year's defencemen, was letting Salo go and signing Garrison in his place (Garrison was 3rd in goals last year, 31st in points)

• Our best defencemen offensively were also our top 4 defencemen, fairly good for any team, and our top 4 defencemen this year will continue to be our best offensively

You have to compare our total offence with all goals scored by any defenceman wearing a Canucks jersey during that time period or your analysis is flawed. You can't leave out people who aren't with the team now, even though they contributed to the goal totals last year.

Initially thought this was your Schroeder confession,but,alas,no.

Let's look at how the Canucks d men that were here last year actually performed in the goal scoring category.

Tanev-0 goals

Alberts -2 goals

Ballard -1 goal

Bieksa - 8 goals

Edler-11 goals

Out of the 234 goals the Canucks scored all of last year the d men that are still here from last year scored 22 goals.

Ehrhoff potted 14 goals/36 assists two years ago and led all Canucks d men in PP goals,reg. goals,assists and points.

Sami potted 9 goals/16 assists last year and led all Canucks d men in PP goals.

Archived