52 replies to this topic

#1 canuckster19

canuckster19

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Well he's going to be bought out, Booth and Kesler are gone, he's from Alaska and played junior here, I just don't see how he doesn't end up a Canuck, I'm on the fence about it, but I'm giving it a C-5.

Edited by canuckster19, 15 January 2013 - 03:53 PM.

Posted Image
Trekkie Monster says: GO CANUCKS GO!

Please read the Board Rules

#2 AriGold

AriGold

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Honeslty, i would give him a try for sure. Given he's making 7M from a buyout im sure he would accept a 700K contract to make a name for himself on a cup contending team with a need at center.

No brainer for all parties IMO..

fept5bc.jpg

#3 PlanB

PlanB

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

$900,000.00 Two-way deal with a few bonuses thrown in there to actually motivate a guy who has had NO reason to be motivated since signed his last contract. Hard to lose on that type of contract.
Posted Image

#4 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,010 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

I think both sides would agree to a 1 year, $1 million-$1.5 million contract.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#5 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Not a fan of Gomez but we might be in the position where he could be the best/only option if a trade does not happen.

#6 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

NO WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#7 canuckster19

canuckster19

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

NO WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

If there's a better option out there that doesn't involve negative value in a Luongo trade I'm all ears.
Posted Image

#8 VAN_FAN_MATT

VAN_FAN_MATT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

I hope the Canucks STAY away from Gomez.

If he becomes a Canuck, I'll face palm myself so hard I'll give myself a concusion.

#9 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

If there's a better option out there that doesn't involve negative value in a Luongo trade I'm all ears.

Didn't you see the amount of exclamation points in his post? He is correct.

As for Gomez, as already stated, 700k-1M on a 1 year deal is low risk.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#10 canuckster19

canuckster19

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Didn't you see the amount of exclamation points in his post? He is correct.

As for Gomez, as already stated, 700k-1M on a 1 year deal is low risk.

Exactly, why explain yourself when you can add a few exclamation marks instead.

I certainly agree with you that anything above that amount is too much, I think people underestimate him though, I think his downfall is the product of playing in the East, I wouldn't be surprised if his game is more suitable to the West, especially his speed.

Edited by canuckster19, 15 January 2013 - 04:11 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Give him a contract similar to Torres for a chance to prove himself, he would be a good temporary centreman till Gaunce is ready to step in. Anything over 2m is no thanks.

#12 Intoewsables

Intoewsables

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,003 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

I wonder if New Jersey offers him a deal just to see if he can recapture his old form. Gotta think he'd jump on that no matter what.

With that said, I wouldn't be against it if we could get him cheap. I just think he'll have more interest league-wide than expected without that bloated contract.

Edited by Intoewsables, 15 January 2013 - 04:13 PM.

willaaaaaaah_zpse642bb0f.png

CDC Elite Hockey League // Tampa Bay Lightning

#13 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Only on a cheap 2 way contract.

#14 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

I certainly agree with you that anything above that amount is too much, I think people underestimate him though, I think his downfall is the product of playing in the East, I wouldn't be surprised if his game is more suitable to the West, especially his speed.

True, but I wouldn't gamble and spend $2M+ on a guy who potted 2 goals in half a season (2011/2012).

hL9YqYN.jpg

#15 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

I actually think Gomez would slot perfect in the 2nd line center, once Kesler and Booth are back. Gomez has been still really damn good entering the zone, protecting the puck, and still has pretty good vision and speed. With the pressure off, i think there is a probability that he will regain his scoring touch. Not to say, he'll be the 80 point guy again, but if he goes anywhere near 40-50, on the 2nd line. He'll be worth it, since he'll be around 1-2 Million.

Honestly think more teams should be interested. Though, it makes more sense for him to go back to New Jersey.

#16 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

True, but I wouldn't gamble and spend $2M+ on a guy who potted 2 goals in half a season (2011/2012).

The guy was never known for scoring goals. He had 33 one year and never above 19 every other year. He's still an real effective passer, if he has guys that can shoot the puck next to him. If Kesler, Booth, Raymond all continue to be shooters, it would make a lot of sense to have Gomez pass it to them. We've been needing a actual play maker for a while now. The best passer for that 2nd line has been Christopher Higgins for the past year.

People wanted Paranteau because of it. I'd say Gomez is much more effective than Paranteau. I'd considering giving him 2 Million if there is room if Luongo gets traded and there's cap room available but I don't think it'll cost 2 Million to get Gomez.

Edited by Rey, 15 January 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#17 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

The guy was never known for scoring goals. He had 33 one year and never above 19 every other year. He's still an real effective passer, if he has guys that can shoot the puck next to him. If Kesler, Booth, Raymond all continue to be shooters, it would make a lot of sense to have Gomez pass it to them. We've been needing a actual play maker for a while now.

I'm not trying to knock Gomez by any means, I am just saying that his production in the last 2 seasons were that of a player making roughly $2M, not his $6.5M. I agree with you, a pass first 2C would really compliment Kesler and Booth.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#18 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,390 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

People are going to laugh at me :-(

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#19 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

I think the most important thing about Gomez is his playoff performances. The guy always performs in key situations, and knows how to win.

Edited by Rey, 15 January 2013 - 04:30 PM.

#20 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Honestly? I think Gomez is trash.

However, I'm not the GM of this team (thank god), and I know Gillis will do what he feels right for the situation - so if we do have Gillis sign Gomez, I'm not going to bitch about it.

#21 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Low risk and it could really pay off.

It's a Gillis type signing for sure.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

i don't want that plug here
Posted Image

#23 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Still would rather grab Langkow although Gomez wouldn't be bad as long as the contract is a 1 year deal under 800k (preferably a 2way deal).

zackass.png

#24 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,491 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Here's my post from the earlier Gomez thread:

I hadn't had any reason to watch his play since he'd been so poor considering his contract the last while, but I went and looked at his underlying stats to see if I could pick anything out without watching hours of game play. He does have decent Corsi numbers, even if he didn't face the toughest competition, and the team had good shot totals when he was on the ice versus off it. The only problem was the team scored less than they got scored on when he was on the ice versus off as well.

That suggests he's a good possession forward, but no one is producing despite chances against middle of the road competition. Certainly Gomez wasn't giving any indication he was going to score, but perhaps with the right linemates, he'd see some success with assists.

Cam Charron over at Canucks Army put it this way:

Gomez is a solid puck-possession centreman who can’t shoot. He makes up for his goal-scoring ineptitude by being a relatively good playmaker. Unfortunately, in the last two seasons, the Habs have shot just 4.7% and 6.6% at even strength with Gomez on the ice, far below NHL expectation. As a result, a player who put up 50 points in each of the three years at the start of his new contract (for a strong defensive centreman, 50 points is pretty good) saw his totals dwindle to 38, and, an awful low, 11, over the last two seasons, the 11 last season coming in a campaign when Gomez could play just 38 games.

He might be the most useful guy out there if we get him at a minimal contract (not league minimum or anything, someone else will offer more, but ~$1M or so). If it gets to be any more, it becomes more risk as his cap hit starts to affect us even in the AHL, but it could be an option.

It'll be interesting to see once the buyout starts and he's put on waivers to clear his contract what teams will do.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#25 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but, the Amnesty Buyouts don't begin until after this season. That is why he is sitting out this year so as not to get injured. If Gomez gets seriously hurt playing this year, he collects his salary a la Kesler and he can't be bought out in 13-14.

The earliest the Canucks could sign him would be after this season's Cup Final during the buyout period.

I'd rather give Schroeder a shot, anyways. He's already under contract and he needs to be tested at the NHL level.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#26 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but, the Amnesty Buyouts don't begin until after this season. That is why he is sitting out this year so as not to get injured. If Gomez gets seriously hurt playing this year, he collects his salary a la Kesler and he can't be bought out in 13-14.

The earliest the Canucks could sign him would be after this season's Cup Final during the buyout period.

I'd rather give Schroeder a shot, anyways. He's already under contract and he needs to be tested at the NHL level.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#27 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

The NHL is allowing what they call "Accelerated Compliance Buyouts" on contracts 3mil or more caveat is they take full cap hit this year minus 900k for not waiving them. Whether individual owners choose to use it is another matter

Edited by CrippledCanuck, 15 January 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#28 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

He is a garbage trash plug when he had that 7M contract but with a low 1M contract I can see him as a cheap temporary replacement for Kesler while he's out

Capable of putting up ~15 goals and ~40 assists in a full season, that's decent.

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#29 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

There is a legitimate chance that Kesler scores as many goals sitting on his coach as Gomez would on the Canucks' second line.

#30 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

There is a legitimate chance that Kesler scores as many goals sitting on his coach as Gomez would on the Canucks' second line.

Kesler the new Rome or something? :P
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.