The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Gomez

Here's my post from the /topic/338189-scott-gomez-done-in-montreal/">earlier Gomez thread:

I hadn't had any reason to watch his play since he'd been so poor considering his contract the last while, but I went and looked at his underlying stats to see if I could pick anything out without watching hours of game play. He does have decent Corsi numbers, even if he didn't face the toughest competition, and the team had good shot totals when he was on the ice versus off it. The only problem was the team scored less than they got scored on when he was on the ice versus off as well.

That suggests he's a good possession forward, but no one is producing despite chances against middle of the road competition. Certainly Gomez wasn't giving any indication he was going to score, but perhaps with the right linemates, he'd see some success with assists.

Cam Charron over at Canucks Army put it this way:

He might be the most useful guy out there if we get him at a minimal contract (not league minimum or anything, someone else will offer more, but ~$1M or so). If it gets to be any more, it becomes more risk as his cap hit starts to affect us even in the AHL, but it could be an option.

It'll be interesting to see once the buyout starts and he's put on waivers to clear his contract what teams will do.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but, the Amnesty Buyouts don't begin until after this season. That is why he is sitting out this year so as not to get injured. If Gomez gets seriously hurt playing this year, he collects his salary a la Kesler and he can't be bought out in 13-14.

The earliest the Canucks could sign him would be after this season's Cup Final during the buyout period.

I'd rather give Schroeder a shot, anyways. He's already under contract and he needs to be tested at the NHL level.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but, the Amnesty Buyouts don't begin until after this season. That is why he is sitting out this year so as not to get injured. If Gomez gets seriously hurt playing this year, he collects his salary a la Kesler and he can't be bought out in 13-14.

The earliest the Canucks could sign him would be after this season's Cup Final during the buyout period.

I'd rather give Schroeder a shot, anyways. He's already under contract and he needs to be tested at the NHL level.

The NHL is allowing what they call "Accelerated Compliance Buyouts" on contracts 3mil or more caveat is they take full cap hit this year minus 900k for not waiving them. Whether individual owners choose to use it is another matter

He is a garbage trash plug when he had that 7M contract but with a low 1M contract I can see him as a cheap temporary replacement for Kesler while he's out

Capable of putting up ~15 goals and ~40 assists in a full season, that's decent.

Gomez is actually an underrated player considering all the heat he gets for this contract. His puck possession and passing abilities are definitely something this team needs. He s a big playoff performer year in year out.

I'd happily give him malhotra money. He's not a 7 million dollar player, but he s a good hockey player.

Gomez is actually an underrated player considering all the heat he gets for this contract. His puck possession and passing abilities are definitely something this team needs. He s a big playoff performer year in year out.

I'd happily give him malhotra money. He's not a 7 million dollar player, but he s a good hockey player.

Gomez's cap hit would be $6.4 million AFTER he was bought out, which would have to happen, with his consent, by Friday midnight.

This applies to the team that picked him up IF Montreal put him on waivers this week.

The team that picks him up, if anyone does, only save $900,000 off his salary plus the pro-rated rate.

Bob McKenzie just explained this in detail on Thats Hockey.

edit: doubtful anyone would claim him though at that salary lol

Gomez's cap hit would be $6.4 million AFTER he was bought out, which would have to happen, with his consent, by Friday midnight.

This applies to the team that picked him up IF Montreal put him on waivers this week.

The team that picks him up, if anyone does, only save $900,000 off his salary plus the pro-rated rate.

Bob McKenzie just explained this in detail on Thats Hockey.

edit: doubtful anyone would claim him though at that salary lol

Archived