Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

-Vintage Canuck-

[Report] Claude Giroux named Flyers' Captain

26 posts in this topic

The Flyers have named Claude Giroux the 19th captain in team history:

Claude Giroux was named the 19th captain of the Flyers Tuesday night.

The club had considered doing it Thursday night at Wells Fargo Center during the Flyers open house practice but changed its mind.

Giroux, who turned 25 earlier this month, inherits the “C” from Chris Pronger, who has not played a game since November 2011 because of post-concussion syndrome.

Last week during the player-only workouts at Skate Zone before the lockout “officially” ended, Giroux, who has had a commanding influence in the dressing room, was talking and acting very much like a captain.

In many ways, he’s been just that for coach Peter Laviolette and teammates during Pronger’s long absence.

"it’s not going to change my game or the way I act on the ice or off the ice," Giroux said. "We have a lot of leaders in this locker room, and a lot of veterans. "

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-talk/Claude-Giroux-named-Flyers-team-captain?blockID=823529&feedID=704&awid=5463185977693313109-711

Since Pronger didn't play last year, who was the acting captain? One of the Assistant Captains?

Since Pronger didn't play last year, who was the acting captain? One of the Assistant Captains?

My favourite player. Much deserving of this.

Gotta get a C on my jersey now!

Dammit, now I have to get the 'A' changed on my Giroux jersey.

Dammit, now I have to get the 'A' changed on my Giroux jersey.

I don't like Giroux, but with that being said he definitely deserves to be the captain. He was the Flyers leader last year after Pronger went down. Not surprising that he was named captain really.

He deserves the captaincy, but what if Pronger comes back? Will Pronger just get an "A"? I doubt that Pronger comes back, but for Philly's sake, I hope he does.

He deserves the captaincy, but what if Pronger comes back? Will Pronger just get an "A"? I doubt that Pronger comes back, but for Philly's sake, I hope he does.

Good choice, he's not too inexperienced, but he's also still young enough to be a long-term leader.

Big fan of Giroux, he definitely deserves the C.