The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if Luongo outplays Schneider?

yogolol

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All am hoping is that Cory doesn't become another Steve Mason...I was looking at both goalies stats after 68 games of their careers in the NHL and they are very close to eachother.Mason played infront a very bad team compared to the Canucks and now we know what has happened to him since his become more less a back up and now has a .500 record....I would keep Lu and trade Cory.Stat wise Cory has started only 56 games out of the 68 regular season games. And atleast I know Lu can take us to the finals with Cory we lost in the 1st round....LU all the way.

Steve Mason's record after 68 NHL games: 68 (w)38 (L)23 - (SOL)7

(Mins)4124 (GA)167 (SO)10 (GAA)2.29

(SV%).925

Cory's Stats after 68 NHL games: 68 (w)38 (L)17 — (SOL)4 (Mins)3639 (GA)136 (SO)4 (GAA)2.24 (SV%).928

This is just one of the very real possible outcomes that make holding onto both goaltenders insane.

On the flip side, Schneider could badly outplay Luongo, which will not do any good for Luongo's value. The only possible "good" of having both goalies is if a Stanley Cup is won while they're essentially splitting games. Odds of that happening I'd call very, very, very, low.

Everyone on CDC has seen this exact same post for 8 months

its extremely predictable to find one of these in every thread with Luongo in it.

I have a question for you and I'm not trying to be a dink either.

1) what traits or indications have you seen that makes you believe Cory cannot handle pressure?

Please don't right a blog either

I'm just curious, Cause maybe I am missing something.

You always claim he can't handle the pressure I just want an explanation

Actually never mind I don't care

Personally, I love Luongo and think he is the better goaltender than Schneider.

That being said, I think if Luongo outplays Schneider, we will still trade Luongo - only after the season is over. Luongo has said the only reason he's willing to stay in Vancouver this season is because it is a short season. It's clear he has made his mind to move on, but he's willing to stick around for a short season for one last kick at the Stanley Cup with a contender.

There is a very real possibility that Luongo will outplay Schneider - he's an elite, proven goaltender who is burning to prove that he is still better and he is still #1. Once Schneider feels the pressure, Luongo will step in and run with the job. This is his last season with the Canucks, and he will never get a better chance at winning a Stanley Cup. I think Luongo will be extremely motivated to take his team all the way.

This is going to be very similar to the Tim Thomas - Tuukka Rask situation in Boston when they won the Cup then two years after looked to trade Thomas and go with Rask. Tim Thomas battled to win his job back, and since he knew that may be his last chance to win a Cup with a contending team like Boston (due to uncertainty with his age), I'm sure he had extra motivation to go all the way. I think Luongo has that same mentality - he wants to prove that he's still #1 and believe that this is his last chance at the Cup. After our run for the Stanley Cup this summer, I think Luongo will leave - even if we win the Stanley Cup.

Also from a organizational perspective, Luongo will be 34, and simply by age, he does not have too many years left in him in comparison to Schneider. I think Schneider can still benefit from being behind Luongo for another shortened season.

So I'd give Luongo another season in Vancouver only because it is a short one, because he doesn't want to stay for long, and because after that, we have to go with Schneider because he is younger. Give Luongo his last hurrah on a championship team. If he wins the job back, let him take us as far as he can. I believe he has it in him to get that 16th win - he was so close only two years ago.

What has Cory done lately? Well, he gave us an excellent opportunity to get past the Kings last playoffs. Fans can actually say with a straight face that scoring was a problem when Cory was in goal because the games were actually within reach, unlike with Luongo every playoffs.

"Lu took us to the Finals"? He "took" a Presidents Trophy winning team to the Finals? As far as I recall Luongo was solid against Nashville and San Jose and for the rest of it he was on and off, he didn't put the team on his back and "take" them there.

Personally, I love Luongo and think he is the better goaltender than Schneider.

That being said, I think if Luongo outplays Schneider, we will still trade Luongo - only after the season is over. Luongo has said the only reason he's willing to stay in Vancouver this season is because it is a short season. It's clear he has made his mind to move on, but he's willing to stick around for a short season for one last kick at the Stanley Cup with a contender.

There is a very real possibility that Luongo will outplay Schneider - he's an elite, proven goaltender who is burning to prove that he is still better and he is still #1. Once Schneider feels the pressure, Luongo will step in and run with the job. This is his last season with the Canucks, and he will never get a better chance at winning a Stanley Cup. I think Luongo will be extremely motivated to take his team all the way.

This is going to be very similar to the Tim Thomas - Tuukka Rask situation in Boston when they won the Cup then two years after looked to trade Thomas and go with Rask. Tim Thomas battled to win his job back, and since he knew that may be his last chance to win a Cup with a contending team like Boston (due to uncertainty with his age), I'm sure he had extra motivation to go all the way. I think Luongo has that same mentality - he wants to prove that he's still #1 and believe that this is his last chance at the Cup. After our run for the Stanley Cup this summer, I think Luongo will leave - even if we win the Stanley Cup.

Also from a organizational perspective, Luongo will be 34, and simply by age, he does not have too many years left in him in comparison to Schneider. I think Schneider can still benefit from being behind Luongo for another shortened season.

So I'd give Luongo another season in Vancouver only because it is a short one, because he doesn't want to stay for long, and because after that, we have to go with Schneider because he is younger. Give Luongo his last hurrah on a championship team. If he wins the job back, let him take us as far as he can. I believe he has it in him to get that 16th win - he was so close only two years ago.

If history shows us anything it's that Lou should not get another chance. The Canucks door to the cup is not going to be open much longer and it's a risk the club can't take no matter who plays better in the regular season. What goalie has ever melted down as badly as Lou ever in the playoffs? Name 3? Lou is famous all over the league for meltdowns not just Vancouver. Cory's untested in a full NHL season, sure but what are the odds that he could be as mentally unstable as Lou in the playoffs? There is a lot of people who are unwilling to admit how good a team we actually have saying that Lou is the only reason we win and the only reason we don't win is because Lou didn't get the support he needed... It's completely ridiculous and frankly getting old.

Bottom line is that Lu took us to the finals end of story..whether it was a President trophy winning team or not is not relevant...I was listen to the team last night on my way home, its funny how any team Lu goes too will most likely become a playoff team even the Leafs that to me says alot about the player Lu is.All the teams want is a shot at the playoffs because we all know what can happen example the Kings last year..

If history shows us anything it's that Lou should not get another chance. The Canucks door to the cup is not going to be open much longer and it's a risk the club can't take no matter who plays better in the regular season. What goalie has ever melted down as badly as Lou ever in the playoffs? Name 3? Lou is famous all over the league for meltdowns not just Vancouver. Cory's untested in a full NHL season, sure but what are the odds that he could be as mentally unstable as Lou in the playoffs? There is a lot of people who are unwilling to admit how good a team we actually have saying that Lou is the only reason we win and the only reason we don't win is because Lou didn't get the support he needed... It's completely ridiculous and frankly getting old.

One question - what makes you think he can handle the pressure?

Luongo has handled the media and pressure of playing in Vancouver better than any goalie in the past, I can't wait to see how Schneider fares. The probability of him handling the pressure as well as Luongo did for so long is slim to none according to history - most goalies in this city and market have cracked, what makes you think Schneider is any different?

The single chance we did get to see of Schneider's ability to cope with a starting position was when Luongo was injured, Schneider played well and started 7 games in a row. At the end of that tenure he bombed out BIG time against two very weak offences, Nashville and Columbus who absolutely lit him up. I know this is a small sample size but it's all we have to show that he's not a superhero and that he too will become mentally and physically fatigued. The pressure of playing a full-time roll is too big for most goalies, but Luongo handled it better than anyone else before. I doubt Schneider will do any better.

Archived