Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

What if Luongo outplays Schneider?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

Poll: What if Luongo outplays Schneider? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Luongo or Schneider if Luongo is playing better

1. keep Luongo trade Schneider (22 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Keep Schneider trade Luongo (33 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Well, that scrub Brodeur was in net during game 3 when the Devils lost 4 - 0, and also in for that 6 - 1 loss to the Kings in game 6 which cost them the Cup...

regards,
G.

On the other hand, Brodeur was 40 years old when that happened and he never made a habit of that every year he was in the playoffs. Plus he won 3 cups so he had nothing to prove.

#62 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

1. What goalie has made it to the SCF with the Canucks in the last decade?

2. What team averages 2.32 GPG in the playoffs and 1.14 GPG in the SCF, especially a team that is supposedly known for its scoring?

You may say it's getting old but Lu haters never acknowledge the fact that he actually never did get support. The whopping 2.32 is also inflated because Vancouver had 2-3 blowouts while winning most games by 1 or 2 goals. Luongo posted 4 shutouts in the playoffs. 3 of them were 1-0 wins.

4 Shutouts? That literally a quarter of the wins we need in the finals pretty much won by Luongo. That's an entire series' worth of wins, won by Luongo. How can you even suggest that Luongo did not play a massive role in our success? Did any other player single-handedly win us the game that many times? Burrows or Kesler, maybe once or twice, but that's about it.

The fact of the matter is, while Luongo had his terrible games, at least he more than made up for them with 4 manufactured wins along with another 6-8 solid games, whereas the rest of the team played well in the first 3 games of the QF and most of the CF. They absolutely sh!t the bed in the rest. If it wasn't for Kesler, we weren't getting past Nashville with the offense we were getting, and Luongo's 2 shutouts in the SCF only even wasn't enough to get us the cup.

2 shutouts in the SCF. Both 1-0 wins. And we STILL lose the cup. AND, we blame the goaltender? To escape punishment, Luongo had to literally have at least 1 shutout every series (which he pretty much did), and never ever ever let in more than 1 or 2 goals every single game, since we averaged around 2.32 GPG, and he had to let in a maximum of 1 goal every SCF game, since we average 1.41 GPG.

In conclusion, the Lu haters don't actually do their homework and check whether Lu should be to blame or not. It took me maybe 10 minutes to find all that information, and it seems I have more than enough evidence to safely conclude that Luongo was one of the only reasons we got this far. His meltdowns were not even close to as costly as the forward's mediocrity was, especially since he made up for it with a couple dazzling games.

You have spent entirely too long saying the same thing that has been said a 1000 times.

This is the bottom line, there are stats you could pull up that would make you wonder why Lou is still an NHL goalie and stats you can pull up that make him look like a god. The reason is that he is about as inconsistent as it gets, he can go from looking like the best goalie in the league to the shakiest little boy hiding behind a mask. No one knows why a lot have stopped supporting him and just want a change. The coaching and management of the nucks agree with the masses and have made it clear that its time to change goalies, I could care less if you do or not, go sit in the basement of your mom and dads house and pray to your god Lou for all I care.

Cory may be the best prospect the Canucks have ever drafted and developed. He's a nuck from the start he's paid his dues and its time to give him the support he warrants.

#63 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

On the other hand, Brodeur was 40 years old when that happened and he never made a habit of that every year he was in the playoffs. Plus he won 3 cups so he had nothing to prove.

So what?

Did the Devils lose those two games by the scores indicated? Was Brodeur in the net in those games? If we equate those two games to the two "meltdown" games by Luongo then it's pretty apparent that Brodeur cost the Devils the Cup. Any of your provided "reasons" (ie. excuses) don't cut it.

Go talk to King. He'll explain it all to you.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#64 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

So what?

Did the Devils lose those two games by the scores indicated? Was Brodeur in the net in those games? If we equate those two games to the two "meltdown" games by Luongo then it's pretty apparent that Brodeur cost the Devils the Cup. Any of your provided "reasons" (ie. excuses) don't cut it.

Go talk to King. He'll explain it all to you.

regards,
G.

Brodeur is in his twilight ready to retire and should probably be retired, he had a great career but is a shadow of the goalie he once was.

Are you sure you want to compare Lou to him at the end of his career? Not going to help you.

#65 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Brodeur is in his twilight ready to retire and should probably be retired, he had a great career but is a shadow of the goalie he once was.

Are you sure you want to compare Lou to him at the end of his career? Not going to help you.

Are you sure that you want to compare Lou to him?

The question was:

What goalie has ever melted down as badly as Lou ever in the playoffs?

I provided you with one from just last year's SC finals. You want to put in qualifiers and make excuses for Brodeur to defend his play in losses which would be pinned on Luongo were we talking about the Canucks.

I see your position as being just a bit of a double standard.

regards,
G.

#66 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

Are you sure that you want to compare Lou to him?

The question was:

I provided you with one from just last year's SC finals. You want to put in qualifiers and make excuses for Brodeur to defend his play in losses which would be pinned on Luongo were we talking about the Canucks.

I see your position as being just a bit of a double standard.

regards,
G.

See but Luongo also had a meltdown in previous playoff series too.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#67 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

See but Luongo also had a meltdown in previous playoff series too.

Well, not that I'm really trying to defend Luongo, but I seem to find myself in this position. My point is that as often as not a goalie meltdown is associated by a team meltdown.

There are a number of goalies who have had meltdowns which have cost their teams (or nearly cost them) to lose a series.

What sort of question marks are surrounding Fleury in Pittsburg, and he's won a Cup with the Penguins. But we were discussing goalies having meltdowns in previous playoff series, right? In 2001 Brodeur was in the net for a 4 - 3 series loss to Colorado. He was in the net for a 5 - 0 loss and a 4 - 0 loss, and allowed 19 goals in the series. The Devils scored eleven times in that series. The Canucks allowed 23 against Boston (including the 8 - 1) loss. The Canucks scored only eight times in that SC final.

Damn those goalie meltdowns.

regards,
G.

Edited by Gollumpus, 16 January 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#68 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

You have spent entirely too long saying the same thing that has been said a 1000 times.

This is the bottom line, there are stats you could pull up that would make you wonder why Lou is still an NHL goalie and stats you can pull up that make him look like a god. The reason is that he is about as inconsistent as it gets, he can go from looking like the best goalie in the league to the shakiest little boy hiding behind a mask. No one knows why a lot have stopped supporting him and just want a change. The coaching and management of the nucks agree with the masses and have made it clear that its time to change goalies, I could care less if you do or not, go sit in the basement of your mom and dads house and pray to your god Lou for all I care.

Cory may be the best prospect the Canucks have ever drafted and developed. He's a nuck from the start he's paid his dues and its time to give him the support he warrants.

You can't call him inconsistent if the entire team rarely plays well in April. You can't conclude that Luongo is inconsistent because rarely has there been a game where the team was scoring and playing well while Luongo was the only guy to blame. The single game I can remember is the 7-5 loss to the Kings that knocked us out. I'll give you that one, Luongo was entirely to blame.

In most other cases, however, that wasn't the case. Maybe the D was being extra dumb and the opposition got some epic puck luck during the couple stinkers. A clear example is when Raymond failed to hit Kopitar and he walked in and scored (against Schneider). If that happens to Schneider a couple times a game, is Schneider "about as inconsistent as it gets"? What if Schneider find a demon in another team like Luongo and Co. did? If the D craps out and the fowards don't score and Schneider suffers the physical/mental fatigue a starter experiences, does that mean he is suddenly a playoff choke? Certainly not.

Sure, this can also go against my argument that Luongo generally plays just fine in the playoffs, though only to a certain extent. The 4 shutouts on their own prove that Luongo can and has stole games for us. That 70+ save game vs Dallas showed he has the mental strength and consistency to last, as long as his team plays hockey, and he showed it again in game 5 vs the Sharks. He showed it again in game 7 vs the Hawks when the Canucks were reeling from the late breakaway equalizer.

This debate is getting redundant. There's credible points on both sides. Isn't it logical to come out and say "there are too many extenuating circumstances and not enough decisive evidence to prove that Luongo is or is not consistent in the playoffs"?

Because I'd be wiling to drop the Luongo debate altogether, as long as the haters stop too.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#69 JasetheCanuck

JasetheCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

keep both for the time being?

tumblr_lxk4f2YfMc1qaosmto1_400.gif

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.